You guys are great!

Sluagh

Besides, a player remembers even one strong 'rejected' encounter, if it _is_ strong enough. Add three, and it is a blow. It creates the mood, it leaves an impression. But then again, I do not mind unhappy endings.

Oh, I don't mind unhappy endings, it's just a) unless you implement RandomNum things (which, yes, I do like) players will know in advance who is going to turn them down, either on the first or at any rate on subsequent play-throughs; b) rejection (for me) would be a blow only if it was a significant person who did leave an impression, and that in most cases implies development. I can think of only one nj-NPC who left a strong romantic impression on me in the original game on one appearance only, and that's due to the parallels with the other works of fiction.

Heh, I was joking about MV, it's far too raw to go anywhere any time soon.

I would think about rejection that way - everyone who is not romance enabled does not really throw themselves at PC's feet. If there are 40 RE's it leaves good 700+ actors in the game that do not find PC irresistably hot; I mean, I know that the authors of this mod are a diligent lot, but do you really want to see the 'Sleep with me" "NOPE!" dialogue on each of them? EVen on some of them?

Spot on. I think this is where methodology of deciding which encounters to incorporate comes in. You need to consider not, "who would I really enjoy fucking?" but rather, "with whom is the PC likely to end up in a situation where he or she can make a move?" After this, you can look at whether or not the NPC is likely to respond positively or negatively. This is the difference between flirting back with Anishai only to find she's a bit of a cocktease, and getting turned down by the wrath trial demon. I'm sure RE does a fine job (I have to confess to not looking especially thoroughly yet); I'm just saying.

Oh, and don't give away whether you succeed or not!

Fantastic job everyone, a monumental effort in such a short time. I've only just started out with the 'power-romancing' and already I am thoroughly enjoying this mod.

Gaelan's contract had me laughing out loud. (and feeling slightly embarressed at what I was getting my pc to do. Fun!)

Ah, well, so *ahem* many to do, so little time. ???

(I've also been hanging out for a Haer'Dalis romance since first playing BG2.)

Guest Olorin

I've just started trying out RE. I enjoyed the Sherri the Bardess encounter, well written!

I was curious enough to reload a few times to try out different responses, and if you were sufficiently boorish, you can get rejected by Sherri, though they are pretty obvious. It was perhaps balanced more towards being able to score than striking out, but it does have both possibilities.

What I think would really frustrate people would be to have an encounter that was tough to "win" due to conversation choices or a random number generator, where they didn't have a recent save to go back to.

For example, if someone struck out with Sherri in the first dialogue, they might have to go back quite a bit, since entering the Mithrest doesn't trigger an autosave. They might have just finished 30 mins of shopping, or just come from a narrow escape with a vampire encounter. Is it possible to trigger an autosave from within the mod, so that anytime a potential encounter comes up, there is a convenient save to go back to?

Another suggestion for anyone developing a mod that has race/class restrictions:

Consider writing a short bit of dialogue for those who don't meet the race/class requirements which ends with the NPC rejecting them for being the wrong type. Not only would it add a number of definite rejections to the mix, but it would also alert players that there was a potential encounter that they missed. They may want to come back later with an appropriate protagonist to check it out. Otherwise, they might never realize that they missed out on something.

What I think would really frustrate people would be to have an encounter that was tough to "win" due to conversation choices or a random number generator, where they didn't have a recent save to go back to.

I quite agree. I like the way Kelsey(and Xan, because I like Xan) is built - it gives the best playing experience in one go.

Consider writing a short bit of dialogue for those who don't meet the race/class requirements which ends with the NPC rejecting them for being the wrong type. Not only would it add a number of definite rejections to the mix, but it would also alert players that there was a potential encounter that they missed. They may want to come back later with an appropriate protagonist to check it out. Otherwise, they might never realize that they missed out on something.

It's a good idea, and I implemented it in Edwin encounter. But it has a downside, too - I think it shows the NPC in question as a bit of a jerk, too. I mean, Edwin telling PC to look in the mirror is cool, it's Edwin, and so on. But a person who is supposed to be nice telling PC whose CHA score is too low that her neck is not long enough/her hair is not silky enough? That might be nasty.

For example, if someone struck out with Sherri in the first dialogue, they might have to go back quite a bit, since entering the Mithrest doesn't trigger an autosave. They might have just finished 30 mins of shopping, or just come from a narrow escape with a vampire encounter. Is it possible to trigger an autosave from within the mod, so that anytime a potential encounter comes up, there is a convenient save to go back to?

I think it is up to each player. Generally, every walkthrough starts with "Save often!", and personally, when I see a new unfamiliar character, or I suspect that something is afoot, I usually save before talking to them.

My comment: this mod is bloody good ;)

I'm really having fun replaying BG2 with this mod and I think that since the PC is a demigod, it sorta make sense that many people felt attracted to <Charname>.

Gaelan : made me laugh since I innocently thought that it could lower the cost... :) Oh, well...

Eldoth : Still a sleezeball, I see :)

Bjornin : I really didn't see that one coming, caught me by surprise ;)

Saemon : I dunno wether to love him or hate him now ;)

Linvail : "Here, have a cracker..." ;) ( I really loved that line :) )

Laran : Can I keep him :) ? He's so sweet. Any chance that he'll be a joinable npc [even if in ToB only...] ? :) pretty please ? ;)

Each NPC has their own different 'feel' to them and I kinda felt that they're 'alive' in some sense.

You guys did a terriffic job ;)

close2myheart: I'm glad you liked Laran! But I dont' think anybody wants to be saddled with a 1st level paladin in ToB. :) But with BG2 Ajantis right around the corner, I think you'll have a chance at a sweet, romantic paladin a lot sooner than you think. :)

Can't blame a girl for (still) wanting :(

It's just that although both Laran and Ajantis are paladins (and both of them are sweet :love: ) they both have different personalities ;)

Ah well, let's just say I was quite smitten by the lad that I even make a new PC for him ;) (call me weird but for each NPC mod I played, I create a new PC :) )

And yes I'm waiting (eagerly) for the Ajantis mod as well (constantly lurking on the progress thread is one of my occupation, now) :love:

Honestly I just downloaded this mod today and have been running around frantically trying to get in as many encounters (male and female) as possible. So far they are absolutely amazing. Don't even get me started on Renal :) ...*swoons* It made me reconsider the entire story/leaning of my character (if that makes any sense...)

but yes. great mod. I can't believe I never heard about this before

Archived