7th Party Member?

Danthesus

I was just wondering, would it be possible to be able to have a 7th party member in the bg games? I want to try different npc storys but I don't want to break up the party and I think the ability to have just one more party member would be cool.

Im just referring to those NPC's who are initally after you to do a particular job or something like Coran or someone, in essence a temporary spot for a 7th party member.

Is it possible?

To expand, the number of slots for party members is hard coded into the game; it cannot be altered to add additional slots.

However, some advice before posting a question, doing a quick search through the forums may save you some time; you may find that your question has already been asked.

This is one of those suggestions that has been proposed many, many times over the years, and so far no one has really been able to accomplish. Unless Bioware releases the source code for the game's executable file, I don't think anything will change, either.

And as I've harped on repeatedly in the GemRB forum, even if you could get a Player7 in the game, there are dozens of scripts in the game you would have to tweak in order to get the game to be aware of said entity and deal with them correctly.

IIRC, there was sort of a way to get a 7th party member in BG2. There was some trick with a scroll that would allow any player to acquire a familiar. I seem to remember that added a 7th slot onto my GUI on the right, but was only fillable with the familiar.

Is that correct, and does that trick work in BG1EasyTutu?

-USP

There are even rumors of folks (now that we have "wait here and don't move" components in several mods) who have juggled party members by shuffling them along in stages, but frankly, that is just asking for frustration. Using the BG1 NPC version, NPCs can't be left behind in "death zones", so it is unlikely to be possible through a whole game, and there are way too many things predicated on a maximum of 6 players.

Basics are as in the top post - Kulyok had the most efficient answer ???

I played with 7 characters in NWN2 and it is not as much fun as it seems. Admittedly, NWN2 party control is not the same as BG2 party control, most notably ther eis no handy Autopause that I, for one, use extensively to coordinate the party's actions ??? Just think as 5 people being your 'core' party and the 6-th - the rotating, quest character. I play BG2 this way.

As JCompton said, there are some mods that allow a seventh party member (like Turnabout for Ascension), but they're very limited, you can't control their spellbooks, inventories, or scripts, and they tend to die rather easily (though that may just be my style of playing :p )

Oh, Domi, I played 7 npcs on NWN2 too. God, that was frustrating. Kept having to tell them to follow me, and half of them didn't enter combat ???

Archived