Improved Invisibility spell

Lemernis

In Irenicus' dungeon fighting Ilych's duergar, Imoen cast Improved Invisibility on the PC and Jaheira prior the fight, and they remained invisible (or at least had that animation) as they continued to successfully hit the enemy in melee.

SCSII doesn't touch the spell. I think that's how the animation works, though - you look the same whether you're Invisible (and hence undetectable) or just Improved Invisible (and hence detectable but not targetable with spells)

I do see though that when the goblins in Irenicus' dungeon gulp down their invisibility potions their invisibility is dispelled (they become visible) when they successfully attack.

Nice touch to have the goblins backstab. Are they scripted to go after the lowest HP character in the party? Or mages? They all seem to go after Immy. They don't seem capable of doing too much damage when they hit, for which I expect many playewrs will be thankful since they just want to scoot through Irenicus' dungeon as quickly as possible. ;)

If you do want to make it more difficult, if some of the goblins are Assassins who use the poison ability that could make them a little more dangerous. Also might not be a bad idea to add a goblin spellcaster here and there.

Heh. That's funny, I didn't even know they'd do that. I just put generic script instructions in place for all thieves, and it turns out the goblins are designated as thieves. They're not doing much damage because they're backstabbing with their fists!

I think I'll leave them as thieves, but give them some hand weapons. But I agree, most people don't want to spend forever in Chateau Irenicus, so I won't go further than that...

I agree, the majority of players won't want a hell time getting out of that dungeon. Although I have to say, I played Tactics fore the first time last week (only as far as Irenicus' dungeon with Improved Ilych), and I was very impressed with how it actually became fun precisely because it was full of real challenges. And I appreciated Weimer's reasoning for a making it such a tough go in Irenicus' dungeon--he's a master wizard, so why would he have such pathetic goons guarding his lair?

There's always Dungeon-Be-Gone for those who can't be bothered. ;)

Just food for thought: I wouldn't make it insanely tough like Tactics. But, say, a quarter to a third more challenging might be nice. I think most players could handle backstabbing goblins with some backrow spellcasters supporting them with low level spells like Blindness and Spook, or maybe some getting up close and using Shocking Grasp, Chill Touch, or Color Spray. Or perhaps using some level 2 spells such as Ghoul Touch, Glitter Dust, Power Word Sleep, and Ray of Enfeeblement. No really heavy spells. Just something to make the goblin mobs a little more formidable than mere fodder. As they are you can tear right through them.

Heh. That's funny, I didn't even know they'd do that. I just put generic script instructions in place for all thieves, and it turns out the goblins are designated as thieves. They're not doing much damage because they're backstabbing with their fists!

Yeah, be careful with wonky classes. One of the big reasons why Fixpack doesn't correct class errors is because the wonky class is often used to identify groups via script--check out dgtrol01 and dgtrol02 in the druid grove. dgtrol02 is designated as mage and 01 as fighters--this helps the shadow druids fighting them determine when they need to use fire attacks against them (01 are the normal trolls, 02 is the 'dead' version) with triggers like See([0.0.TROLL.MAGE]).

interesting--I didn't know you could backstab with your fists!

I haven't tried it out yet, but the "slightly improved Illyich" mod (at SP collection, I think?) sounds much less over the top than the tactics version, and does some interesting things...including an attempt to make the second floor a bit faster (harder but quicker; nice idea). anyway, I agree that a more challenging beginning is more interesting--so long as players have resources to deal with the challenge--and, as Lemernis says, more what you'd expect from the home base of a top enemy.

I'm making another run through Irenicus' dungeon with a new character, and now seeing the goblins for the second time, honestly, the backstabbing with fists is a bit silly. Really, let them backstab with weapons. As they are they present no challenge at all. I would either leave them vanilla or let them backstab with a weapon.

Thanks, which particular component needs reinstalling for the newly short sword-equipped goblins?

General AI. (I extend "improved intelligence" to include "hmmm, maybe I ought to acquire a, y'know, WEAPON before backstabbing someone...")

Well, I reinstalled and I'm still seeing the goblins either backstab with their fists or with the animation where they're holding a bow. The only melee weapons I see in their inventories are axes. They do 2 or 4 points damage--I'd think it would be more with a short sword.

Just want to make sure I'm doing this right...

I downloaded the 'SCS II' .rar file in the stickied bugfix thread to the SoA folder, replacing the existing one. From that I then exported the 'SCS II' folder to the SoA folder, replacing the existing one. I then reinstalled the 'General AI' component only, selecting 'no change' to the other components.

Edit: A little later a goblin in the library room did do 18 damage on a backstab (from a crit?). But any short swords are undroppable if they're equipped with them, I'm not finding them in the loot drops.

Archived