Has anybody thought of doing this?

Guest Guest

I think a workaround could be just the same as it is with Xan: Xan BG2 is pretty much a mod character, since he didn't originally existed in BG2. Yoshimo ToB would be a mod character, as well. So, calling him MYYoshi will work.

I think I prefer the original story to "Yoshimo! You're alive!", but maybe, just maybe, it could work. Sarevok in ToB wasn't too bad, after all.

That's a quote from Vlad from my first link.) Doesn't look like a Yoshimo resurrection in ToB, unless someone finds a good workaround.

I read somewhere else (tho I can't remember where, and I'm too lazy at the moment to hunt it down) that it's possible to 'resurrect' Yoshimo in Saradush and have no problems after that, as far as dying goes. (That's a horrible problem to have, in my opinion. 'I don't what's wrong with me Marge, I just keep dyin'!)

I think I prefer the original story to "Yoshimo! You're alive!", but maybe, just maybe, it could work. Sarevok in ToB wasn't too bad, after all.

I really really hope I can the right mix of emotions, especially since his inevitable death is no real surprise, but even if I can work out a reasonable 'I'm not dead yet' storyline I still want to make sure that everything works out to everone's satisfaction prior to his death. That way, if there's anyone who feels like resurrecting Yoshimo is kinda cheesy they have the option of keeping things as they are and not being slighted.

Personally, I don't really understand what problem to the main storyline resurrecting Yoshimo could pose. He was a spy planted by Irenicus, and he gets killed. He's a non-evil (TN) character who ends up feeling remorse about his betrayal of the PC. According to D&D rules, a deceased character can be returned to the living from any part of his remains. Yoshi's history within the central plot makes him a complex character, who can offer some very interesting later conversations with others in the party (think of how the various NPCs would react to his betrayal). If anything such a character continuing the journey with the PC should add greater depth and interest to the story. His death seems designed mostly to allow the first time player a slot for Imoen, so that no one gets abandoned in Spellhold. There's nothing about his death that's integral to the continuation of the saga, so why not bring him back?

Why would you want to romance a person that betrays you?

From a dramatic standpoint it is certainly more complex than if he weren't contracted by Irenicus to spy on the PC.

From a realism standpoint, in RL couples get back together all the time after betrayals of one sort or another.

There could be a number of tracks the romance might follow, depending on the PC's alignment, and various responses within that alignment.

For a non-evil PC, remember, Yoshi didn't really know what he was getting himself into at the outset. It was just another intruigue, he'd never met the mark. I would think it would be interesting to see how he struggles with the dilemma of falling in love with the PC, on the one hand, and dealing with the fact that he's got to somehow deal with Irenicus on the other. How is he going to negotiate that? If he falls in love, does he come up with a plan to address that? If so, might that plan change during the course of the game depending on the responses the PC gives? There's so much to work with there.

And many an evil PC might at least understand (and possibly even appreciate) the betrayal, twisted as that is.

Note also that after the betrayal becomes known, it could certainly be up to the PC to reject post-Resurrection Yoshi. Or worse.

Or the PC may simply choose not take his heart to the temple of Ilmater at all (assuming that's where the resurrection takes place).

I would take advantage of the fact that Yoshimo's final request is to have his heart taken to the temple Ilmater--that is something that definitely could be used toward a plan he has devised. Actually, for Yoshi to be a worshipper of Ilmater is fascinating in itself. I'd use that too.

I love that he worships Ilmater, and a large part of the continuation (resurrection, if you prefer) is based off this fact. (I couldn't write a plotline where he's brought back to life if he didn't worship Ilmater). It also shows the immense inner turmoil that he is forced through during the course of the game--maybe I'm a little bit of a masochist, but coupling that with the turmoil of being in love with the person that he's forced to betray is just... I dunno how to describe it. Heartbreaking and beautiful.

The actual thread of the romance will be forced through some very rocky points, because frankly the 'why would you romance someone who betrays you' is less of a critical point than 'how is someone who knows that they have to betray you going to react to the realization that they've fallen in love with you?' Especially since the PC doesn't actually know about the betrayal until the end, but Yoshimo knows it from the very beginning. Also, there's a lot about his life or his motivations that he can't talk about due to his geas, so his reactions to certain situations are going to sound a little weird; and frankly, what normal woman is going to shrug their shoulders and say "He's acting suspicious yet again. Oh well, I'll just continue to ignore it." So hopefully that will all come together nicely.

Miniature progress report: My fall semester just started on monday, so I've put off writing more of the dialogue until next week, basically until I can see how much schoolwork I should expect. I have completely written the first and last dialogues, and I have a general outline for the rest of them. I'm looking at a total 10~15 talks and I'm hoping to get some flirts written up. (I'd be a horrible, horrible hypocrite if I didn't write flirts, since I love them so much. I'm not going to start writing them until I get about halfway through the main dialogues--for a specific reason that I want to save as a surprise--but if anyone has any flirts they'd like to see, then just mention them in this thread.)

I've always harboured a secret desire for a mod that involved a Yoshimo romance. He fascinates me as a character and I felt genuine sorrow at his death. I always wanted the chance to say that he was forgiven. I suppose the very act of taking his heart to the temple is an act of forgiveness.

I was never able to sell off his katana either.

Will there be a friendship track as well?

The actual thread of the romance will be forced through some very rocky points, because frankly the 'why would you romance someone who betrays you' is less of a critical point than 'how is someone who knows that they have to betray you going to react to the realization that they've fallen in love with you?'

I never thought the betrayal was such a big deal as, with the linear plot, the PC is 'fated' to continue on the path to Irenicus anyway.

I always found myself wondering what Yoshimo would have gone through, knowing he would be betraying people that had become close companions and even friends.

There is such a interesting grey area to explore here. Good luck! :)

It is to my intense chagrin that I admit not thinking of including a friendship track. It is a great idea (thanks KIrving and Lemernis!) and I started working on the general outline for that today. I've also started writing some extra banters for the various NPCs, starting with Sarevok. I think that will make a good initial preview, since the romance dialogues I have written are still in the 'major spoiler' stage. Without further ado, here's Yoshimo and Sarevok, the very best of friends:

Y: I know you, dead one.

S: I would take great care in the manner you choose to address me, thief. When my legacy is scribed for all eternity I doubt that you’ll find many lines dedicated to my boundless patience.

Y: I wonder what they’ll have to say about your sense of fealty. I’m taking a risk by assuming that you’ll stand by [CHARNAME]’s wishes regarding this group, but I’ve found [HIM/HER] to be a most persuasive leader, so it’s a gamble I’m willing to take. There are others, dead one, who have not been so lucky. You have left them in your wake, your false words their eternal tomb.

S: Ha! I’m actually unsure which I find more amusing; your normally fatal bravado or your astonishing hypocrisy. Hypocrisy I don’t usually mind, but perhaps we should have this conversation a little closer to [CHARNAME]’s ears. From what has been said I imagine that [HE/SHE] has an opinion concerning traitorous friends.

Y: I’ve always… she…some things…

S: Oh, that’s good. I had toyed with the idea of cutting out your tongue, but apparently your own stifling inner turmoil will silence you just as quickly. My word has satisfied [CHARNAME] and I see no need to concern myself with your feelings on the subject. My past is not and will never be an allowed topic of conversation, but I will say that there is nothing that I have done that I regret. Besides dying, I suppose.

Y: …fiend.

S: The truth hurts, thief. Leave me before I become tired of that tormented, hangdog look you carry around and am forced to apologize to [CHARNAME] for your severed head.

This assumes, naturally, that the player has resurrected Yoshimo. I *may* be able to work it so that a friendship path can lead to his resurrection and make sense, so I assumed with this banter that I had. Sarevok and Yoshimo will have a bit of a story-banter series, so this is the first.

I had more to say, but my 2 year old really wants me to feed her peanuts, so I have to cut it short.

Well written!

I don't think friendship need become a dealbreaker for resurrection. A good explanation on Yoshi's part should suffice as motivation to raise him. For example, Yoshi could prepare a a letter that is found on him when the player goes through his gear after Yoshi dies. You mentioned that Irenicus placed a geas on Yoshimo (is that from the story? it's been a long time since I used him). And perhaps Yoshi explains that he was giving Irenicus minimal and even misleading info as a spy, etc., as he wracked his brain trying to think of a way to bring Irenicus down at the end of the day. Also, as mentioned, if the PC is pissed enough by Yoshimo's betrayal he or she can always choose not complete the quest to return his heart to the temple of Ilmater.

oh, i always hoped someone would do a yoshimo romance mod. congratulations and good luck to you, dragon's jewel! the banter looks great- very well written.

also, i'm sure jaheira wouldn't be the only npc harbouring blistering anger about yoshimo's betrayal. i would assume that many interesting banters would stem from the issue, especially after you choose to resurrect him. (that is, if you do. but seriously, who wouldn't? :) )

Archived