Has anybody thought of doing this?

Guest Guest

Nice looking banter, I think it captures Yoshimo's shame at his betrayal quite well.

I'd add my voice that a friendship should be no barrier to a resurrection, since close friends can go to the same extremes of interpersonal sacrifice as lovers can.

Aha!

My internet was dead for most of the day yesterday which meant two things: I couldn't waste time by idlely reading random message boards and I couldn't do any of my schoolwork (I'm actually a little bit ahead, so it's not like it killed me). This meant that--yay!--I spent the majority of my free time yesterday working on Yoshimo. I completed some dialogue work and made several decisions--which is why I'm involving you guys in the process. You're welcome :)

The first is that I'm definitely going ahead with a full friendship track, which will more than likely be as long as the romance track.

The second is that I'm definitely including a resurrection option for the friendship track.

I don't want to give too much away about the resurrection sequence (I like surprises!) but I will say this--the player will have three seperate opportunities to *decline* going through with the resurrection. Yoshimo being forgiven is a big part of it, so if his heart is not returned to the temple then it won't happen. The second is a secret (shhhhh!) but the player will be given the opportunity to decline something. The third is the actual resurrection sequence, where the PC will be asked something along the lines of "Are you SURE you want to do this?" That way anyone who wants to leave it like it is will have ample opportunity to do so. I used the word opportunity like, 3 times in that paragraph.

The third thing is that I'm a horrible, horrible perfectionist. I really want to make sure that each dialogue has enough reply options so there won't be anyone left saying "Wow, my character is [this] and I really wish I had the chance to say [that]." Unfortunately, that means that everytime I finish a series of replies I end up agonizing for about ten minutes over whether I should include more or less replies. What that means is that, as soon as I get a good example that's not too out-of-context, I'll probably post a little poll and see if everyone likes the type of replies and why or why not.

The final thing (I thought a *lot* last night) is that I cannot see Yoshimo, no way no how, romancing or befriending a chaotic evil character. He would be okay with evil for the sake of selfishness or power or greed, but that pure evil that has a bumber sticker on the back of their horse that reads "I [heart] severed heads" would just creep him out. But I have also realized that I [heart] writing chaotic evil replies. I makes me giggle a little in a quilty way. So, a chaotic evil character will get a chance to have the first two or three talks (romance or frienship) and will then get their own special little dialogue that ends the friendship/romance. Yay! (Oh, Yoshimo will never leave the party no matter what you say to him--he's required to stay because of his geas. Being excessively rude will just end the talks).

Two things not related directly to decisions I've made about the mod:

Here's a paragraph:

4) I’m spilling the fresh, warm blood of weaklings by the gallon, and you’re questioning whether I’m enjoying myself?! If I were experiencing any more pleasure I’d start gaily singing the juicier bits of a small, personal composition I like to call “Die In a Crippling Fire, You Waste of Meat.†I suppose my various maniacal grins *may* be hard to figure out at times… [GOTO Block 2]

Does it scan better without the last line?

The second is that I'm hiring. No, it's not a paying position, but I'll reward you with my eternal devotion and your name on the mod. Let me explain before I ask: I'm a bit of a nervous writer, and no matter how many times I read my own stuff out-loud to see if it sounds right, I'm always concerned that it only sounds good to me 'cause I wrote it. My husband is no good because he has yet to play any of the BG series (I know! Can you imagine!) so when I attempt to talk about what I'm doing he gets that glazed look on his face that means that he's bored but he knows there will be an attendance quiz at the end. So, what I'm looking for is someone who would be willing to read each dialogue thread as I've written it and check for a)Spelling and grammar errors (hopefully very few, as I check pretty thoroughly for that myself b)Whether it makes sense and c)Plain readability. It won't be a terribly difficult job, since it does take me a while to completely *finish* a dialogue. If anyone's interested then PM me. If no one's interested I won't die, but I'll post a reminder every little while to see if anyone's changed their mind.

And thank you, everyone, for your support!

i might be able to proof-read if no one else can, but then again, i'll probably be pretty busy in the coming months, what with school starting again (aaargh! die!) so... never mind. oh, and by the way, i love the chaotic evil response :), though i agree that yoshimo probably wouldn't romance a pc of that alignment. (come to think of it, doubt many npc's would...)

Thank you Lemernis, for your offer and Vestrael for your desire :) but Lady Fiana pmed me earlier with an offer, so I'm going first-come, first-serve. But I reeeeeeeeaaally appreciate the offers!

Note: hehehehe, I just love that "I'm so eccentric and evil! Isn't it adorable?" kind of character reply. I can't play 'em, (I actually get into a moral quandry about it) but they're so fun!

Great looking banter, Dragon's Jewel! :)

I like your ideas and feel for the characters.

Excellant news that you will also be including a friendship path.

Note: hehehehe, I just love that "I'm so eccentric and evil! Isn't it adorable?" kind of character reply. I can't play 'em, (I actually get into a moral quandry about it) but they're so fun!

I know the feeling. I enjoy seeing the options but I can never commit my character to saying them. Unless I'm playtesting and justifying it in order to explore all options. (Even then I still feel weird about it. Thank goodness for previous saves. :) )

that pure evil that has a bumber sticker on the back of their horse that reads "I [heart] severed heads" would just creep him out

Actually, Chaotic Evil alignment does NOT mean PC is "spilling the fresh, warm blood of weaklings by the gallon" :) Well, you can act like this if you want to... but being CE doesn't require it. CE character is no maniac by default. "Always consider alignment a tool, not a straitjacket that restricts your character" said the 2 ed. Player's Handbook, and I agree :) Well, they do list "bloodthirsty mercenaries" as an example of CE alignment but that's just it - an example.

I'd think an NPC should judge not by PC's alignment as it is written, but more by PC's actions (and reputation)

I'd think an NPC should judge not by PC's alignment as it is written, but more by PC's actions (and reputation)

That is extremely difficult to mod, though. It means keeping a running tally of every action the player makes, and adjusting the NPC behavior accordingly. I tried to do that with Gavin, but in the end, the best I could do was keep track of the most glaringly evil actions, and have him break off his romance or friendship if the count got too high. I'd tried including conditional responses based on his affection for the PC, but it isn't applied consistently. It's the difference between a mod with 5000 lines of dialogue and one with 10000 or even 20000 lines of dialogue. You've got to draw the line somewhere.

It's the difference between someone who's a great mod-maker (I [heart] berelinde] and someone who's not. I know there's other sides to a CE character, and it's something I made a conscious decision to play a little fast and loose. In my opinion the most interesting (and often the greatest majority) of CE characters are 'crazy evil'--and that's something I enjoy writing responses for. It's my own personal little selfish addition. Really, I could just ignore the whole thing, announce that Yoshimo won't even approach a CE character and leave it at that (which would probably be the best idea, given my current abilities) but... well, I really *wanna* do this. Hehehe, we'll see. If it really does bother a lot of people then I'll certainly abandon it.

I'm not dead!

Ohhhhhhh, 'tis a slippery slope. Between my husband *finally* picking up BG for the first time, my school load, and the sweet siren call of Silent Hill 2, I haven't gotten much actual set-in-stone dialog written in a couple of weeks. What I *have* done is fleshed out conversation notes--a reminder of the conversations I want to happen and how I want them to go. I've also added a few more options to the conversations I already have, which is why they haven't been sent to Lady Fiana yet (Your patience is a testament! I just want it to be perfect.)

Basically I wanted to say that everything is still moving along, albeit rather slowly. I also didn't want the posting to get loooooost in the sands of Gibberlings.

Archived