"Guarded Compound" fight (temple district)

Lemernis

Hoo doggies. As an early battle in the game (which it typically will be for players in need of Celestial Fury), with enemy HLAs installed, this was one hell of a tough battle. Stuff like Storm of Vengeance, Finger of Death, and Horrid Wilting really takes a high level party to counter--which I did not have.

After countless reloads I ended up having to repeatedly go up and down the stairs to lure them one at a time downstairs until there were only three left upstairs. I hadn't intended to do it that way, but I was getting my arse kicked for the umpteenth time, so I sent them downstairs in flight. Only Sion followed, and in isolation I was able to kill him. I them saved, and tried it again. Second time the cleric followed, and I took him out. Next it was Olaf who followed them downstairs. After that there were three left, none of them spellcasters, and I could manage them all at once.

I mention this mainly because it might be a bug that sometimes they all didn't follow the party downstairs. On a couple of occasions they all did, and on a couple of occasions two of them did.

The game's ability to move creatures between areas is pretty flakey... there's not that much I can do, I think. (I could lock it so they don't transition at all, but that's pretty exploitable too.) I'll have a look to see if there's some way to make it smoother.

That's actually a time-honored tactic for getting past those guys on the second floor. I don't know if I'd be in a hurry to change it. I'd never survive. But then, I die a lot in that place, anyway.

To be honest this is one reason I'm not very inclined to change it, on reflection (a more important reason is I can't work out how!) After all, running away is optional - people can choose not to if they think it's unrealistic. (Personally, when I play I like to have a set of slightly-unrealistic tricks like that which I don't usually use but which I can fall back on if something has crossed the line between challenging and frustrating...)

Incidentally, I haven't edited the basic powers of the Guarded Compound team at all. With the (albeit fairly important) exception of the High-Level Abilities (if you think of HLAs as ToB-specific), they're not doing anything that the original team couldn't have done if they'd learned rather more sensible spells, spent a couple thousand gp on potions at Ribald's, and cast some buffs when they heard the fight downstairs.

Archived