To readme or not to readme

theacefes

Readme Poll  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Opposite. i want folks to read the readme every single time - it is a quick and gentle reminder that folks have worked hard on creating the contemt. I especially like the new v200 WeiDU

README ~myReadMe.html~

command, which pops it up *before* anything ion the mod is installed. Then a person can read the compnent description and choose to install or not install. (That is what task windows are for).

I read the readme's too, but I have this sneaking supicion that if most folks did, we would have a lot less requests for "help" ...

I like ReadMes. I always read them after the mod installs, provided that they pop up. I would rather not have to go looking for the bloody thing when the modder can force it to pop up after the mod installs.

Mods that lack ReadMes end up in the recycle bin.

I agree with berelinde. I go through all of the readmes before installing (or downloading in the first place). I don't find it that difficult to open them by hand when I want to look at them.

The only time it might be convenient for me is when I'm installing something large like the Tweak Pack and can't remember the details of every component - but having it pop up once I've finished installing hardly helps.

What I'd really prefer is that more mods had optional readmes with a prompt at the start of the install.

I agree with berelinde. I go through all of the readmes before installing (or downloading in the first place). I don't find it that difficult to open them by hand when I want to look at them.

The only time it might be convenient for me is when I'm installing something large like the Tweak Pack and can't remember the details of every component - but having it pop up once I've finished installing hardly helps.

What I'd really prefer is that more mods had optional readmes with a prompt at the start of the install.

My sentiments exactly. I also, strongly, prefer when I can access the readme before even downloading a mod.

I hate pop-up readmes. I always read them before installing, and pop-ups are extremely annoying. If you want to make people read credits - you can simply put them in cmd window (I think it's possible to even hide patching stuff, so the only thing to read would be credits).

Readmes are not about the "credits". The point of them is so that there is a lesser chance of the mod forum getting filled up with "OMG!!11itwont install, u brok my game" reports.

Again, it's a case of RTFM, not just so that the people who helped make the mod can know from far away that someone is reading their name.

Pro-readme: you don't want "Where is Sarah???" all over your forum.

(You'll still have it all over your forum, only... not so much).

Remember, people who read and vote here are mostly modders or people, who reinstall mods on daily basis, not your average "Wow, Baldur's Gate has mods! More romances! Okay, I downloaded it... now where the hell is she?" players.

I'd recommend waiting with Weidu 200, though - it has a very annoying weidu.lock issue, and I'll personally not package the newest version in my mods until some solution is found(read: this feature is cut).

Archived