Mod Installation suggestions

Guest Olorin

Guest Olorin

Hi,

I want to start by saying how much I enjoy this mod so far. Thanks to everyone who put work in on this.

I had a couple of ideas about the mod install process, but since I don't know anything about Weidu, I don't know if these are even possible, but I thought I'd throw them out there in case they could be done.

40 encounters is quite a few, especially if you want to install some and not others. You have to choose install/not install on each one. Is it possible to have the installer give an option to install all encounters of a specific type (male protagonist/female NPC, female protagonist/male NPC, etc.)? This would streamline the install process for those only planning on playing as one gender, especially if the number of components increases.

The other thing I found as I was getting BG2 up and running again was a confusing array of choices about what to install or not. It's been awhile, so I've forgotten what many of the components do, or in the case of RE, it's my first time looking at it. Granted, it's not that much trouble to dig up the readme files to refer to during the install process, but then at the end, all of them helpfully open it for me...just after I've made all those decisions that I could have used it. Is it possible to have the installer pop up the readme file as it's first action, rather than the last?

Thank you for the kind words. I shall try to answer the best I can.

40 encounters is quite a few, especially if you want to install some and not others. You have to choose install/not install on each one. Is it possible to have the installer give an option to install all encounters of a specific type (male protagonist/female NPC, female protagonist/male NPC, etc.)? This would streamline the install process for those only planning on playing as one gender, especially if the number of components increases.

Currently, it's possible to do a one-click-install(Install all components? Yes!), and it's a very valuable feature I'd be reluctant to let go of.

The mod was designed to be as non-obtrusive as possible. With an exception of a Noober/Aimi the barmaid, the characters do not approach you repeatedly - at most, Aran would invite you to dinner, or Chanelle would ask to join you in your bath and if you say no, that's it.

As for same-sex possibilities... let me see. Solaufein in the Lust Chambers and Elhan's friendship and Anishai's encounter are definitely player-initiated, so there's no same-sex content if the player doesn't want it; Chanelle, too - if you say no to her offer and send her away, you never get to know what she wanted in the first place - or so it seems to me.

So, if you do install everything, your game changes only barely: a few new figures appear in various places(A girl and a boy in Mithrest Inn), Edwin and Yoshimo and Haer'Dalis may have a few new banters, and characters like Bodhi and Teos and Coran and Logan have a extra dialogue options - and that's it. It's safe, too - so far we discovered only a few minor issues(sleep with Garren->do not get a paladin stronghold; Ryan encounter isn't always available), which will be remedied soon.

The other thing I found as I was getting BG2 up and running again was a confusing array of choices about what to install or not. It's been awhile, so I've forgotten what many of the components do, or in the case of RE, it's my first time looking at it. Granted, it's not that much trouble to dig up the readme files to refer to during the install process, but then at the end, all of them helpfully open it for me...just after I've made all those decisions that I could have used it. Is it possible to have the installer pop up the readme file as it's first action, rather than the last?

Currently the most recent version of Weidu supports this action, but at a great cost: it has a user-unfriendly feature that doesn't allow the player to exit via pressing X button in the top right corner, or run more than two installers at once(which I, personally, do all the time; never ran into any problems). As soon as this feature is cut(read: there are enough complaints), RE will certainly take advantage of Weidu's newest version.

In the meantime, you can view the readme on the mod's site before installation.

Kulyok, you can do as igi does with his mods.

In the weidu installer you can choose:

@100 = ~View Readme~

@101 = ~Show readme after installation~

@102 = ~Do not show readme after installation~

But in any case... its nice to have the readme here if anyone wanna read it before installing, no? :)

In the weidu installer you can choose:

@100 = ~View Readme~

@101 = ~Show readme after installation~

@102 = ~Do not show readme after installation~

I know of this stuff, but I'm afraid it'll be even worse, because it will impede one-click install process further.

Archived