Why do you still do it?

Cashews

A few weeks ago I decided to install BG2 on my PC. It had been over 5 years since I had last played this game and even longer since I had played BG1. However, having again completed NWN and its premium modules and finding NWN2 a little too buggy for my taste, I felt the need to go back to my roots.

While looking for the right files to patch my install I discovered the wonderful world of mods. Through these mods I now remember why I loved this game so much. And while I feel that the original serie is a masterpiece in itself, the great mods out there makes the whole gaming experience even more enjoyable.

However, I cannot but wonder... :)

I know why I still play this game. Because of you, the modders.

But I'm curious as to why you still do it? I don't mind really :) and I'm still hoping to see new stuff everytime I visit PPG, SHS or this place. Still, I'm curious as to why you keep working and modding for a game which is nearly 10 years old?

Thanks.

p.s. By the way, thank you all for your amazing work. ::Bow respectfully::

Because no matter what games come out, with whatever cool graphics, BG and BG2 are still the best games to engage the player in some nice, old-fashioned storytelling.

It's a chance to give the player an entertaining role-playing experience that doesn't rely on textures or visual effects, but simple words, read off a screen, like a choice of actor's prompts. It involves the player in the story, and lets him take part in its telling. Very much like allowing the player to direct a screenplay of your writing. It's very satisfying.

Although I've spent the vast majority of time that would have gone into modding working on The Broken Hourglass instead over the past two years, I am/was always motivated by an attentive audience of players, which has shown remarkable staying power over the years as a group.

Browsing Amazon last night in the "budget PC games section", I noticed that the BG2 collection ranked the #3 bestseller out of the group of ~130 titles or so. The players keep coming.

Good, engaging storytelling, interesting new things to learn, a very supportive community of players who are a detail oriented and careful group (hey - we got *real* pro proofreaders and scholars donating their time to proofread a mod!!!), a good group of modders who are interested in story rather than flash and almost all as overly detail oriented and obsessive compulsive about getting things right/fixed as I am, mostly nice people who are willing to help and explain things to new folks, and a solid researchable body of literature/research which allows a newbie who doesn't understand programming an opportunity to cast the magic spells given enough time to study.

But mostly, a huge epic story which got enough *right* to be immersive and engaging on the 1000th replay (as long as you use different characters and mods to change things up a bit). With lots of room for even more stories to be woven in. And with the advantage that they got enough stuff not quite right that there is a good group of players out there who are into FR lore, who appreciate attempts to get things *more* right.

What's not to like?

Good question. One that I ask myself a lot lately. I've been in the scene since it began with TeamBG. Back then I did it because it was fun, plus I use to interact with fellow modders on the forums and the chat room. It was good times back then, a shame those people are long gone now.

I guess I do it for fun plus to share my ideas, my work with others. After playing Baldur's Gate with DSotSC recently, I decided to resurrect my BG1 mod, Dark Horizons, which I had lost 3/4 of the data a few years ago when my hard drive died. I am working on it right now as I am reading the forums, multitasking FTW. Plus I am the type of person who doesn't let things go, especially something I enjoy doing.

For me, I still have stories to tell... and seeing the stories play out is a wonderful feeling. I've been around a long time too, and I must say that the modding scene for the BG series is actually stronger today than it has ever been.

Now, I am not modding for BG2 anymore, and never modded a lot for it. I guess, I just didn't quite like that game too too much, and got tired of it far too quickly. But I sure love modding, and that is why I mostly modded for BG1 and IWD2, and now am trying the brave new world of NWN2.

I am probably not a typical IE modder, because I do looove the recent 3D titles, witrh a notable exception of NWN1, which I hate with passion. If KOTOR allowed more characters in the party, I'd loved it more than BG2. JE that I started recently with my husband, while is a hell to control, imo is exactly how I would have loved to write for the games, if I had the ability. It's nearly flawless in its Tien's Landing section imo and combines humor, action, character development and an interesting world, plus it has a several innovations that I find pretty good, such as simplified inventory and rules, and things like getting XPs for studying the information about the world. Again, a notable problem with this title is the absence of the party... wish I could mod *that* in!

NWN2, has its low points, (I had encountered about 2 bugs on my playthrough with 6 people party one of which went away on a reload, so I can't complain about it) mostly in the area of forced party. This drawback will go away in MoTB the release of which I eagerly await.

So... out of curiosity (again... damn curiosity, gonna get me killed one of those days)... most of you guys worked on quite a few mods. Is there any mod you really wanted to do but never actually got to work on? Any one-of-those-days-I'm-going-to-do-that-and-its-going-to-be-awesome mod?

:)

Archived