BG2 - Game Over

Salk

Guest grogerson

The reason is simple. When a bhallspawn dies they turn to dust (BG1 death movie) with nothing to resurrect or raise. In BG2, if you don't turn to dust you lose the bhall essence (sp?) at the very least, making you of no interest to the main adversaries...

My two cents...

Well, it might well be so but the ending sequence could be seen under a more metaphorical point of view and not necessairly the material disintegration of the body.

I would consider it much more fair if the main character had the chance to be resurrected as long as he/she has allied.

But I feared it was hardcoded... :)

Well, it might well be so but the ending sequence could be seen under a more metaphorical point of view and not necessairly the material disintegration of the body.

They're a bit inconsistent, I think - the endmovie in BG1 very clearly (and non-metaphorically) has Sarevok disintegrating; on the other hand, Imoen is resurrectable. And don't the Five leave bodies when you kill them?

On the other hand, even if it wasn't hardcoded I think it would be a bad idea to change it. You could in principle play for long periods of time without the main character, and that would make the game very confused indeed.

You could in principle play for long periods of time without the main character, and that would make the game very confused indeed.

Which is the real reason player1 death = game over.

There are hacks around this issue which I recall from the old days. I forget if the upshot was that the party limit ended up being 5, or if I'm just imagining that.

There are hacks around this issue which I recall from the old days. I forget if the upshot was that the party limit ended up being 5, or if I'm just imagining that.

Depends how far back you go. The most recent methods (recent being... say, 2003) allow a 6 player party, as I recall. The real downside is already mentionned; the storyline takes a back seat, as not only is it possible to play for extended periods of time with the protagonist being dead, it's also possible to play having kicked the protagonist out of the party completely!

Well, I would be very interested in this hack you mention, igi.

This because it would be for me only a way to let my main character being resurrected before doing anything else in the game.

You end up screwing the main plot only if you so wish even if you use a hack that would trigger the game over sequence only when the party is annihilated.

Could you please tell me what files I need and if it's user-friendly enough method?

Thank you very much.

Archived