Sarevok problem

Silverstar

Hello there. First, congratulations on such a wonderful, wonderful mod! It really brings new air of freshness and high quality game ply to BG1 and I appreciate that.

I had no real problems up to now, though I have more mods installed on my TuTu game.

SPOILERS BELOW!

The last battle was, however, buggy. As soon as my team enters the temple, Sarevok immediately starts a dialogue with me even though he is still in the area of fog of war. This may not be that bad but then the game stucks, Sarevok keeps on saying 'I do not fear death, do you?' every second and just stays there. Does nothing. He has Tazok and an invisible Semaj with him, I can kill them and they all just stand there. I can kill the two and they turn into skeletons as usual, and only then, they start to attack back. Ofcourse I can not kill Sarevok, even if I can it would be lame.

But I have found a work-around. If I rush my main PC to Sarevok as soon as possible, he starts the dialogue again and this time, a second dialogue bumps in and the true battle begins! And an epic battle that is, difficult and exciting! I had to reload three times, (my wild-mage PC being hit by Semaj's dispel magic immediately every single time did not help much) but in the end my group managed to kill every bad guy, in the last second my wild mage got held thanks to a wil surge when attempting to cast yet another Magic Missile at big bad S...it was ironic really, Sarevok died with a bitter laughter as he saw that...hehee.

Anyway. Do you have any idea why Sarevok acted weird like this? I was lucky to find such a simple work-around although it sure made the battle too difficult for me. (no time for summoning and my mage always gets dispelled and then the bad guys close in for the kill..and I can only take a few hits from either Sarevok or Tazok...Diarmid and Angelo cause a lot of pain too! Diarmid's poisonous arrows killed my PC more than once.) But this was annoying, to come that far and get stucked in the biggest final showdown.

Any ideas?

FYI David's going to be away until the 9th. I'm sure he'll answer when he gets back. FWIW, I too have experienced some bugginess with the final battle.

Well, at least you managed to get the win. And it sounds like it was one heckuva battle. :(

I'm really struggling to pin down this damn bug. I cannot, cannot duplicate it locally, but lots of people have reported it. My latest working theory is that for some reason a variable that should be being set in-dialog isn't being set, so he just endlessly loops. (But as I say: I can't reproduce it). The latest version of SCS is due out imminently and I'll have yet another attempt to fix it then.

As soon as my team enters the temple, Sarevok immediately starts a dialogue with me even though he is still in the area of fog of war.

But I have found a work-around. If I rush my main PC to Sarevok as soon as possible, he starts the dialogue again and this time, a second dialogue bumps in and the true battle begins!

Anyway. Do you have any idea why Sarevok acted weird like this?

I haven't actually tried this (BG1) version, but could it be so simple as Sarevok actually needs to see the Prot (not just any old character) to get his lines right? Unless you use some form of Weimer's "Valen-style interjection" of course, when that's not necessary.

As soon as my team enters the temple, Sarevok immediately starts a dialogue with me even though he is still in the area of fog of war.

But I have found a work-around. If I rush my main PC to Sarevok as soon as possible, he starts the dialogue again and this time, a second dialogue bumps in and the true battle begins!

Anyway. Do you have any idea why Sarevok acted weird like this?

I haven't actually tried this (BG1) version, but could it be so simple as Sarevok actually needs to see the Prot (not just any old character) to get his lines right? Unless you use some form of Weimer's "Valen-style interjection" of course, when that's not necessary.

No, it wasn't that simple... but I think - touch wood - that it's finally solved in v6. Certainly I haven't heard it reported since v6 came out. (He says, tempting fate...)

Something similar happened to me just now. Sarevok did his dialogue, Semaj and Tazok prebuffed then just stayed completely still and invisible, but Angelo and Diarmid did not spawn, so Sarevok was unkillable even after ten minutes.

Edit: - Rushing my PC to Sarevok corrected the problem with the spawns and everything else. Perhaps waiting for the PC to see Sarevok before any dialogue is the solution to the problem some people are getting?

Today, I ran into the same bug described by Ilyich. During my first attempt to teach Big S a little lesson I made a NPC rush towards Sarevok who gave his first regular speech. The second dialogue didn't kick in. Only Semaj and Tazok spawned but remained invisible and totally passive. I managed to fireball Semaj to death and he transformed into a skeleton warrior. I could beat Sarevok down to "Near Death" but he remained unkillable. Since it was mentioned before in this thread: I use BG2 Tweak Pack's "More interjections"/"Valen/Solaufein interjections"-component which didn't help.

I reloaded (with an awkward kind of feeling since I'm playing a no-reload-game) and made my PC rush towards Sarevok. This did the trick: Sarevok gave his second speech and all his cronies appeared. The actual fight wasn't very difficult in my opinion, since I made use of five of the most powerful NPCs in the game with the best equipment. Besides, I had invested about 50.000 GP in potions and magic arrows for the final fight, so this is probably not very representative.

I still can't reproduce this damn bug.

I'd be very interested to hear from someone who can consistently reproduce it - i.e., someone who's got a savegame before the endfight and who can do a certain set of things (send in an NPC / summon monsters / whatever) that reliably reproduces the bug. If you're in this (un?)happy position, let me know.

I have savegames right before the final fight and I'd really like to help getting rid of this bug in this otherwise outstanding mod. What do you want me to try exactly?

EDIT:

I restarted the final fight a few times to have a better look at the details.

Right now Sarevok's first speech always starts a few seconds after the party enters the temple of Bhaal regardless what the player does. Sarevok doesn't have to see a party member to do so.

In case the PC is NOT in Sarevok's reach at that time, Diamid and Angelo don't gate in and Tazok and Samij remain in passive invisibility. The game can't be won. It doesn't help if the PC comes close to Sarevok afterwards.

In case the PC IS in Sarevok's reach at that time, the second part of his speech triggers and the final fight works as it should. More precisely: Sarevok doesn't have to actually see the PC, therefore invisibility isn't a problem. It's enough when the PC is close to Sarevok. At present the PC has to be hasted to get close enough to Sarevok in time.

Thank you: that's extremely helpful and clear. I can finally reproduce the bug: I think I've solved it.

Question: have you already killed Tazok at any point in the game?

In any case, can you enter the following at the console:

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADTAZOK","GLOBAL")

If you don't get:

Global: SPRITE_IS_DEADTAZOK GLOBAL set to 1

then try

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADGALDOR","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADSEMAJ","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADDIARMI","GLOBAL")

As you had predicted:

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADTAZOK","GLOBAL")

led to

Global: SPRITE_IS_DEADTAZOK GLOBAL set to 1.

Tazok died (for the first time) in the bandit camp in my game. I infiltrated the camp by asking Raiken in Peldvale to join. I had Kivan in my party and - with the BG1 NPC1 Project installed - the meeting of the elf and the ogre results in a fight to the death between the party and Tazok. Or rather between the party and a whole bandit camp when the better calls for help sponsored by SCS kick in...

We even adjust it to allow Tazok to be killable, on the assumption that Sarevok simply raises him. Let me know if you need code adjustments onm our end; a simple way of dealing with this would be to create an "undo" block we can install in BG1NPC

IF %BGT_VAR%

ChapterGT(whateveryouthinkbestbutafterTazokResolution)

Global("SPRITE_IS_DEADTAZOK","GLOBAL",1)

Global("X#KivanTazokCleanup","GLOBAL",0)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADTAZOK","GLOBAL",0)

SetGlobal("X#KivanTazokCleanup","GLOBAL",1)

END

The only diffuiculty i am tracking down is what in BG1NPC expects to see Tazok as dead:

phase1\dlg\x#coran.d(776): CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~%BGT_VAR% CombatCounter(0) GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",%tutu_chapter_4%) !Dead("tazok") InParty("kivan") Global("P#CoKI2","LOCALS",0) !See([ENEMY]) See("kivan") !StateCheck("kivan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN ~%CORAN_BANTER%~ COKI2
phase2\baf\x#kiint2.baf(80): !Dead("tazok")
phase2\baf\x#kiint2.baf(110): Dead("tazok")
phase2\baf\x#kiint2.baf(142): Dead("tazok")
phase2\baf\x#kiint2.baf(160): !Dead("tazok")
phase2\baf\x#kiint2.baf(305): !Dead("tazok")
phase2\dlg\p#imanel.d(181): == ~%KIVAN_JOINED%~ IF ~Dead("tazok")~ THEN @49
phase2\dlg\p#imanel.d(182): == ~P#IMANEL~ IF ~Dead("tazok")~ THEN @50
phase2\dlg\x#kiint.d(363): == ~%KIVAN_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("kivan") InMyArea("kivan") !StateCheck("kivan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) !Dead("tazok")~ THEN @84
phase2\dlg\x#kiint.d(364): == ~%tutu_var%TEVEN~ IF ~InParty("kivan") InMyArea("kivan") !StateCheck("kivan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) !Dead("tazok")~ THEN @85
phase2\dlg\x#kiint.d(370): == ~%KIVAN_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("kivan") InMyArea("kivan") !StateCheck("kivan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) !Dead("tazok")~ THEN @87
phase2\dlg\x#kiint.d(374): == ~%KIVAN_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("kivan") InMyArea("kivan") !StateCheck("kivan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) !Dead("tazok")~ THEN @88
phase2\dlg\x#kiint.d(375): == ~%tutu_var%CREDUS~ IF ~InParty("kivan") InMyArea("kivan") !StateCheck("kivan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) !Dead("tazok")~ THEN @89
phase2\dlg\x#kiint.d(379): == ~%KIVAN_JOINED%~ IF ~InParty("kivan") InMyArea("kivan") !StateCheck("kivan",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) !Dead("tazok")~ THEN @90
phase3\pid\x#pcinit.d(8018): + ~GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",%tutu_chapter_3%) !Dead("tazok") RandomNum(4,1)~ + @2112 + X#KiCourse4
phase3\pid\x#pcinit.d(8019): + ~GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",%tutu_chapter_3%) !Dead("tazok") RandomNum(4,2)~ + @2112 + X#KiCourse5
phase3\pid\x#pcinit.d(8020): + ~GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",%tutu_chapter_3%) !Dead("tazok") RandomNum(4,3)~ + @2112 + X#KiCourse6
phase3\pid\x#pcinit.d(8021): + ~GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",%tutu_chapter_3%) !Dead("tazok") RandomNum(4,4)~ + @2112 + X#KiCourse7
phase3\pid\x#pcinit.d(8023): + ~GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",%tutu_chapter_3%) Dead("tazok") RandomNum(5,1)~ + @2112 + X#KiCourse8
phase3\pid\x#pcinit.d(8024): + ~GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",%tutu_chapter_3%) Dead("tazok") RandomNum(5,2)~ + @2112 + X#KiCourse9
phase3\pid\x#pcinit.d(8025): + ~GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",%tutu_chapter_3%) Dead("tazok") RandomNum(5,3)~ + @2112 + X#KiCourse10
phase3\pid\x#pcinit.d(8026): + ~GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",%tutu_chapter_3%) Dead("tazok") RandomNum(5,4)~ + @2112 + X#KiCourse11
phase3\pid\x#pcinit.d(8027): + ~GlobalGT("Chapter","GLOBAL",%tutu_chapter_3%) Dead("tazok") RandomNum(5,5)~ + @2112 + X#KiCourse12

Given that list, it appears that we should be able to run that block on UnderCity entrance, or some such other point far enough along in the game to make it ok.

Aha...

Marvellous. This is what's going on: when any of Sarevok's four henchmen die, he has a dialogue. In vanilla (+SCS) BGTUTU, that can be checked for by checking their death variables, but in BG1NPC, Tazok already comes up as Dead so the script jumps straight to that. So it has the conversations out of order, and all hell breaks loose...

@Cmorgan: no need for BG1NPC modifications. Now I know the problem, there shouldn't be any problem fixing it at my end.

@Ascendancy-Down: THANK YOU. I have been looking for this elusive bug since forever...

Archived