Wizard Hunter kit for Rangers

Ayce

I don't think Valygar's hatred for mages could be compared to Forsaker-like. After all, he does use his family magical armor and katana and doesn't destroy them as pnp forsakers do :(

I'd think he should be a ranger with favored enemy: arcanists/magic users, BTW, there's such a variant in 3.5 D&D rules ;)

That is true. I seem to recall you can also have one of the "player character" races (humans, elves, dwarves, etc) as a racial enemy, which I always thought was neat but doesn't seem to be possible in the games.

Damian "Nastian" Staniszewski had some components which add to game additional Racial Enemies. I don't think that implent humans or elves gonna be a hard thing. But there's no possibility to restrict f.e. to have human ranger with racial enemy... human :(

I can suggest the Occult Slayer prestige class showed on the Complete Warrior. The description says the Occult Slayers believe that mortals shoudn't wield magic being so irresponsible (seems Valygar to me) and the example given is exactly a Ranger 5/Occult Slayer 5!!

Occult Slayer:

Magical Defense: +1 save vs. spell at 1st level (up to +3 at 5th)

Weapon Bond: with chosen weapon deals +1d6 vs. spellcasters

Mind Over Magic: Spell Turning (once a day)

Vicious Strike: deals double damage if disrupting spellcasting

Non-Detection: as per cloak of nondetection

Blank Thoughts: immune to charm and compulsion effects

In my game i've modded his armor and katana to fit this class and i'd love to share your opinion if you want (on the Genearl Mod Discussion Thread).

I can suggest the Occult Slayer prestige class showed on the Complete Warrior. The description says the Occult Slayers believe that mortals shoudn't wield magic being so irresponsible (seems Valygar to me) and the example given is exactly a Ranger 5/Occult Slayer 5!!

Occult Slayer:

Magical Defense: +1 save vs. spell at 1st level (up to +3 at 5th)

Weapon Bond: with chosen weapon deals +1d6 vs. spellcasters

Mind Over Magic: Spell Turning (once a day)

Vicious Strike: deals double damage if disrupting spellcasting

Non-Detection: as per cloak of nondetection

Blank Thoughts: immune to charm and compulsion effects

In my game i've modded his armor and katana to fit this class and i'd love to share your opinion if you want (on the Genearl Mod Discussion Thread).

Hmmm, that could work. I can see how most of these ideas can be implemented (not the vicious strike though, maybe an EFF file, though I don't know if EFF parameters in IE will let that idea flyor not). Anyway, I still like the idea I had of him developing some kind of ki powers while on sabatical in Kara-Tur. :thumbsup:

Also, I was trying to steer clear of sovereign immunities (like immunity to charm) so as balance the kits power. Of course, that was with idea of dispel magic and true sight being innate powers of this kit.

I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish in the General Modding thread, but Feel free to "share" this opinion in the general mod thread if you like.

OK, my first attempt at this was a flop, I could use some help at this point.

After learning all the files involved with kits and their function, I began to understand how the TeamBG programs Kit Editor and Kit Creator worked, so I tried to use them for this project rather than editing the files line by line (thinking it would work out just as well now that I knew what I was doing, phhft.)

Kit creator just crashed on me, so I tried kit editor. I went through and updated all the relevant values in terms of special abilities, kit description, etc. After all was said and done, like I said, it didn't work.

1. The only thing that stuck were the text references (i.e, kit description, kit name, etc.). None of the abilities took up. Obviously, this doesn't happen just because you changed the setting in the kit files.

2. So, I started a new game, hoping the new values would kick in that way. They still didn't (other than the text references). I spawned (with CLUA) valyg11.cre and he still had the same abilities as a stalker. I even SetCurrentXP on him to level him up to 12 and he still learned those special stalker spells even though I took them out of the kit files (:p). He didn't learn the abilities I had assigned him in the clab***.2da file even with a new game started.

3. No matter what I did, I couldn't get kit editor to add Mage Hunter as a new kit (at the character class selection screen), even though the CLAB***.2da files becaune clabr06 (meaning a new ranger slot, right???). In the end, I only succeeded in changing the text references in the kit, nothing else. None of the class bonuses or penalties were applied.

Guess that's what I get for trying to do it easy like. So my questions are..............

1. How do you get a new kit assigned to an NPC with all bonuses (and penalties) intact?

2. Does this require modding all relevant .cre files as well. I have found that you can't erase priest spells permanantly. I edited the spell list for Jaheira, all the deleted spells just came back when she leveled up. That's obviously hard-wired somewhere else than in the .cre files.

3. As far as I know, kit editor is just and easy GUI to edit the various files that govern kits, how do other kit modders get the game to keep their kits, both in the character creation process and the assigning of kits to NPCs as well?

Help :p

Archived