What is the general opinion of Improved Anvil?

Guest Guest_dizzyorange_*

Dude, Rosenkavalier is an opera. You're thinking of Rosenranken.org.

But yeah, it's their decision and they're going to have to live with the consequences, whatever they are. I'm hoping that it doesn't ruin things for the rest of us that donate our time, but what will be will be.

I wasn't interested in the mod when it was free.

Is this some kind of psychological marketing move? Trying to milk the idea that if you are asked to pay for something it is sometimes perceived as having greater value/content/enjoyment/lifestyle fulfilment? (or has EA taken over BWL?)

True, it could be.

It's the levels of exclusive membership options and the planned, potential for personalized mods that makes my stomach turn.

Next there will be BWL christmas cards for exclusive members containing personal wishes from santa.

Guest Matti
Player choice rules. There are lots of free mods, lots of free sites, and (to be blunt) paying for a mod makes it not a minor technicality in terms of violations of EULA, it makes it piracy, pure and simple.

Yes. What a disgrace. I can't believe that I wasted my time for the bunch of fucking thieves. I logged out from their site permanently and I'll not touch their "mods" again even with a ten foot pole.

You're not really paying for the mod yet as they are still available for download for free on the dragonshoard (though I don't know if that will last).

I'm thinking that the boards just take too much monetary input or something....

I prefer roleplaying mods with a little bit of spice, but on the other hand, I do like IA for the tactics involved to combat and debuff enemy mages.

Sadly, the insane prebuffing, resistances and general usage of CC and ADHW are not really that cool. Not all enemy mages should use the same kind of spell combinations and not all mages you encounter should be of higher level than you (most mages you encounter as a low level party have CC... wtf).

I am planning to play it for a last time when IAv6 becomes available, but I do not think that in this manner there is a long lifespan foreseen for the BWL mods. How will you ever be able to contact them for support on a mod that has to be free or otherwise clashes with the EULA?!?!?!?

That is misguided.

jest.gifjest.giflaughn.giflaughn.giffit.gif

(paraphrasing the Pride of Hungary)

"Even if it's possible, why not? No one would be so stupid not to make money from a site when it's possible!"

tsk, tsk, tsk..

Oh dear....

Oh Baro, how low you've stooped... :hm:

I liked you when you were more creative and subtle in your swindling schemes. What happened to the demonic criminal mastermind who carefully rerouted all the funds off TheWizards' paypal to his own? Where is he? And who is this new unimaginative bozo that's replaced him and flat out threatens and demands for payment in the open? :D

You've changed a lot, man... (just the other day, I was thinking of you, wondering what the old Hungarian rapscallion was up to)

Anyway, fear not, Baro... there is still a chance to redeem yourself.

Just come out and say "sorry guys, someone (obviously from G3) had hacked into our PCs and tampered with the time and date... we were innocuously planning this for April Fools." :p

P.S. - Baro, I always thought I would be the one to expose and bring an end to your wretched life of recidivism, but now it looks like my work is cut out for me (thank goodness!)... you somehow manage to keep digging your own grave even further to the point where I wonder if you actually enjoy making a fool out of yourself? dunnog.gif

P.P.S - if you actually want to make money, I'd suggest a more honest approach (as opposed to stealing and placing unauthorized things in your download mirror). Write a book! Make an autobiography titled "The Life and Crimes of Baronius" detailing your every move in this community. I would be your #1 customer. :) I'm sure others would love to pay for that, as opposed to a video game mod containing adamantium snakes, titanium rats and terminator golems possessing polygonal, interactive, think-10-steps-ahead AI...

hmmr.gif

paying for a mod makes it not a minor technicality in terms of violations of EULA, it makes it piracy, pure and simple. The BioWare folks eventually will get around to fixing that kind of stuff.

I'm afraid you're way too optimistic. This is Baronius we're talking about here. Scam artist extraordinaire. I'm sure he's carefully analysed the consequences and covered all his bases. I have no doubt in the rare event of legal action from Bioware, our Hungarian friend will get out safely on some technicality or other. The laws in North America would have no effect on a guy hiding safely in Hungary (unless Bioware decides to spend vast amounts of time and money and go to the international court).

You're not really paying for the mod yet as they are still available for download for free on the dragonshoard (though I don't know if that will last).

... How will you ever be able to contact them for support on a mod that has to be free or otherwise clashes with the EULA?!?!?!?

Community support for mods *is* crucial.

Every mod goes through a development phase where playtesters find the bugs the coder missed and offer suggestions about how the mod might be improved. When I've got a mod in testing, I feel privileged to have testers who are willing to help me for free. It's bad enough that I have to subject them to the inconvenience of registering with the community if they aren't registered already. I would never be able to ask them to pony up actual cash to test my mods.

Once a mod is through testing, community support is still critical. There might be something the testers missed, players might offer suggestions that never occured to either the modder or the testers, and there are bound to be questions about compatibility and installation order. Even once all of that is addressed, there are bound to be players who run into unanticipated problems. Some won't know how to extract an archive. Others will need clarification on the exact meaning of certain components. Some might encounter technical issues with their particular system or installation that would have been impossible to predict. Even players who manage to get the mod installed and working properly will still need hints and suggestions about how to navigate quests or challenges. Failure to provide these things is kind of like selling an 'assemble it yourself' toolshed and not including the directions.

It's also a blow to improved compatibility. Other modders will need access to mods and the community if they're going to make their own mods compatible with BWL mods.

In any case, this has tuned into a Wall of Text, and nobody wants that.

Guest Dean_1982

irouman that's a point there the much prefubbing & balance is a real issue. but to main point. i hear you but you guys may over react it a bit. i've been a sysadmin and had my own business in past dealing with dedic servers and must say running 'em isn't of the cheap thing. not sure how many members donate 'em but it won't make 'em millionaires that's a fact

i used to read anvil item upgrade forums and that "privileged account" or whatever isn't a big deal just a few dollars. i wanna still read all stuff now busy with my kids now but later will donate 'em. i hear you but come on we spend more on dvd & music in a week so don't take it so bloody seriously be more easy going. not such a big deal

I have contributed financially to websites which have voluntarily asked for funds, but I find making it mandatory is a big turn-off. I haven't played Improved Anvil for a long while, and whereas I had a vague interest in having another go once v6 was released, I can now say fairly certainly I won't play it again.

That said, as Sikret also seems determined to ratchet up difficulty further since v5, it is probably outside my patience (or perhaps as he would have it, tactical capability) to get through it successfully anyway. It may be a very good mod in terms of the QA process, but there is little point having such high quality if only a very small minority of people are able to experience it.

Guest Fantozzi

Heh Temujin always with the good stuff :)

Now that most bugs were fixed in v6 of IA, they don't really need that much feedback from random forumers anymore. It makes perfect sense that this happened when v6 of IA is about to come out. And don't come and tell me they need money to run the servers.

Yes v5 is still available for DL on Dragonshoard, I wouldn't bet v6 will be.

I think it's a step backwards for BWL and Improved Anvil. Greedy people are always left with poop in the end.

Guest Dean_1982

heh Temujin is ill we all know it

And don't come and tell me they need money to run the servers.

because is it free?

man the bwl guys talk much shit but anvil even if over powered is a good mod. as i said a you can't get a _reliabele_ dedic server below $200 per month. if that is what the anvil item mod needs, give 'em. i tried tortured soul once, man vlad is a big ass sikret at least straight man. anvil is good job

chill.

I sincerely hope that if they make any changes to the currently available mods at the dragon's hoard, atleast the changelog becomes public even if the mods go privare. And if there are bugs in the current versions, they are fixed ... even for non-premium versions.

But blocking off the forums?? :) Am I right in thinking that all the authors (TS, ToD, NeJ, BG2Improvements, DrizztSaga) were taken into confidence before their forums became blocked??

Archived