Hey! You wrecked my game!

I installed your fix pack, as I read it had superceded Baldurdash and was compatible with it, and half the priest spell descriptions were replaced with random text. Things like "You have made a fatal error coming here!" or "Fist +3". This kind of screwed up Aerie and Jaheira. As I'm off-line at home I've had to play all weekend with scrambled sphere assignments as whenever they rise a level they get the default spells for whichever levels they gain a new spell in.

I thought you did everything Baldurdash did? Didn't Baldurdash contain a "Corrected Priest Sphere" implementation? It's been a while since I installed it. Actually, you didn't really wreck the game as I just extracted the spells with Shadowkeeper and put them in overrides, but it meant all the corrections were gone.

I see that you have a separate, distinct fix for priest spells called the Divine Remix. Don't you think that using the correct priest spheres for Clerics and Druids and correcting the errors and sphere mis-assignments in SoA-ToB is pretty much a core thing to fix? Why should I have to give Druids stupid, cissy, 3.5E alignments as well? Or, in case that turns out to be optional and I just haven't noticed yet, why did I have to wait all weekend before being able to access a PC where I could download your priest fix when the priest fix really ought to have been in the core fix pack in the first place? You should put the corrected spells and spheres in the core fix pack and leave all those kits and speciality priesthoods that don't exist anywhere in 2nd edit AD&D except on your web site in an additional, optional add-on.

Can't you get Priests of Lathander to Turn Undead which are sensitive to natural sunlight as if they were four priest levels higher?

And don't give me that twaddle about the BG2 spheres being pretty similar to 2nd edit AD&D core rules already, because the core rules books were WRONG. Tom Pickens finally admitted it and fixed it in Dragon 205 and then Spells and Magick made an offical correction. This wasn't a change, it wasn't a revision, it wasn't an expansion, it was a CORRECTION, because the Player's Handbook was WRONG because the idiots were so stupid they made a complete mess of it. Core rules, indeed!

Err... anyway, didn't come here to rant. I'll try your divine mixup and see if I can get my beloved spheres back, but please, make the sphere fix a core fix because, when all's said and done, it really is pretty much a core thing.

~

PS First Edition Druid Spell progression would be good.

~

Whenever you add something as fundamental to the install as a fixpack, you really are better starting over with a fresh installation. There are just too many chances for the strings to get scrambled, as has happened in your game.

If you start over with a fresh install, you won't have scrambled strings any more, but you will not be able to use your old saved game.

Scrambled text strings are indicative of installing something when another mod/editor/whatever was using dialog.tlk, or installing a patch or something else to overwrite it. As much as I love Fixpack being randomly thrown under a bus, I'm afraid this is a local issue. (Throwing another mod on top of a fubar'd installation will only worsen the problem.)

As for the spheres question, BG2 is not P&P. The developers did not intend for it to be so, and intentionally diverged from it in many places.

As a side note -

BG2 Fixpack = fix things to work (mostly, make the game internally consistent with what research of code and authorship can find for "developer intent". "Developer intent" does not in any way equal AD&D 1E, 2E, 3E, 3.5E, original booklets, or upcoming 4E - it equals Bioware's designed loose interpretation of D&D rules, made into a playable computer game).

BG2 TweakPack = Take things in different directions (including some options to get closer to 2E pnp rules)

Divine Remix = mod substantially altering original BG1/2 CRPG loose interpretation of

The only mod out there that specifically works to change BG into strict pnp 2E rules is Echon's excellent "Fields of the Dead", available only for vanilla BG1, hosted at PPG.

I tried the essential part of the divine remix and it seems to be mostly OK except a few spells still had scrambled text. Free Action is one I remember particularly. But just extracting them in Shadowkeeper seems to fix it, although I end up with the standard spell again. All the text describing items seems to be OK again (IE mentions Beastmasters etc).

So, not as compatible as I was led to believe. Local issue, indeed!

What happened was I had a crash with an assertion failure, so I re-installed ToB and all the text reverted to standard. So I figured I ought to re-install Baldurdash but read somewhere when looking for the latest version that it was obsolete and people should use the G3 fix-pack, which does everything Baldurdash did and is "competely compatible" with it. So I installed it. That's when I got the scrambled up text. Serves me right for believing something I read on the internet, I suppose. I've spent nearly ten years trying to find a mod that corrected the priest spheres and mage schools for BG and when I do it gets screwed (Illusionists casting Magick Missile?!?!) And all the monsters and items that were corrected as well...

Ah well, no big deal. I must have a version of Baldurdash somewhere. I've had these games since they were released and I've played them dozens of times, but this is the first time through ToB itself - I always got as far as killing Irenicus and then started something else.

I don't get what you're trying to do with the priest spells - anything Bioware intended is doomed to be a heap of crap. That's why there's such a need for fix-packs. By the way, Druids can be allowed Time and Wards as well. And Law/Chaos (Clerics minor Law or Chaos). Thought and Numbers seems more appropriate to Druids than standard Clerics. Most of the extra spells can be quite cleanly divided on Sphere lines into two groups, where the Cleric's spell list is a bit larger and more attuned to the Undead, the Outer planes and fighting Holy Wars and the Druid's list is smaller and more attuned to Nature, the Wilderness, the Inner Planes and the Prime Material, just as they always were... IF the spells themselves are in the correct spheres.

Do you know where I can get a straightforward fix that uses the 2E rules and the Spells and Magick spheres and puts the new (mostly 3E) spells like Holy Smite, Righteous Magick etc somewhere more imaginative than Combat? (Many of them should be in Summoning in the same way Call Upon Holy Might is in Summoning, not Combat). You know, deletes the Animal Summonings from Summoning and leaves Shillelagh in Plant alone, takes Barkskin out of Protection etc? Pah! Clerics casting Flame Blade! Yeah, the standard Cleric was always allowed to use blades like scimitars and never had a spell like Spiritual Hammer. At least you fixed that.

I like some of your new spells, by the way. It always amazed me why BioWare didn't make Cure Blindness, Faerie Fire, Sunscorch, Strength of Stone etc. I'd like to see Heat Metal, Produce Flame, Adamantite Mace, Pyrotechnics and many others. Wall of Thorns, Pass Plant etc. I made a bunch years ago when TeamBG were still going (what happened to them?)

I can fix spell access by removing unwanted ones in Shadowkeeper, although I'll have to do it everytime Jaheira, Minsc and Aerie level up. It's just much more fun when the NPCs have the correct spell access as well.

I'll try the whole of your mod some time. It's just not what I was looking for at the moment. I wanted BG to do what it said on the tin - 2nd edit AD&D, not some mangled confection, so I was looking for the mod that did that. I know it can't be exactly like p&p AD&D, there have to be changes for the PC format (Like no CW, DN or RL etc) and due to limitations of the engine, but the fact that modders can fix what Bioware did means that Bioware must have done it wrong in the first place.

Doesn't it?

By the way, what faith *is* Aerie? Some gnomish burrowing animal god? What kit would she have in your mod?

Cheers

~

What happened was I had a crash with an assertion failure, so I re-installed ToB and all the text reverted to standard. So I figured I ought to re-install Baldurdash but read somewhere when looking for the latest version that it was obsolete and people should use the G3 fix-pack, which does everything Baldurdash did and is "competely compatible" with it. So I installed it. That's when I got the scrambled up text. Serves me right for believing something I read on the internet, I suppose. I've spent nearly ten years trying to find a mod that corrected the priest spheres and mage schools for BG and when I do it gets screwed (Illusionists casting Magick Missile?!?!) And all the monsters and items that were corrected as well...

Ok, here is your problem. When you said you reinstalled ToB, did you first uninstall both SoA and ToB and delete the Baldur's Gate II: SoA folder, or did you just use the uninstaller and then reinstalled? If you did later, then there will be fragments of your previous install sitting in your BG2 folders, causing all sorts of problems. If you don't have a clean base to build on, then any non-overwriting mod is going to have issues, and even some of the overwriting mods might have problems.

And unfortunately, as I said, while you can use elements of several mods to get *closer* to 2E AD&D, the only one that truly takes this as a core value is Fields of the Dead. Do a BG1 vanilla install, and visit PPG. Echon's mod is stable, secure, and about the closest thing you can get to a 2E interpretation out there. If you are a core rules 2E player, I suspect you will be happy with the massive work he has put into his conversion.

Archived