my playthrough

Gort

killed Firkraag. Not really a challenge. Just a couple of summons, pre-buffing (yep, I hav RP reasons for pre-buffing), a couple of traps. He used wing buffet several times and breath once, but party attacked him with ranged weapons only, so it was wasted on summmons. For some reason, in the middle of the fight he ran away to previous area. I followed him, and in close space he almost killed my PC (nobody could move at all because of his size), but again, for unknown reason he ran back into the lair. I almost haven't used spells - 1 Breach and several magic missiles. I think he was tougher in original game (or it seems to me so, maybe I improved my tactics so much=))

As in: ran away and transitioned between areas? OK, if so that's definitely a bug, or at least an "oddity".

wiped Guarded Compound. Isn't very impressive, they seemed to act without coordination. Koshi died in seconds, Ketta soon after. While Sion and Stalman were busy with only 2 summons, I dealt with Maferan and Rassmusen - they were tough, but not touch enough to hit Korgan seriously. Then died Stalman, and only Sion remained. He turned invisible, waited while my party gathered (very smart of him) and used spell trigger with 3xscull trap. Triumph almost turned into defeat (Mazzy died, others were hurt badly), but he hurt himself with scull traps, too, and was out of spells, so 1 blow was enough to finish him.

Actually the "waiting till party gathers" is pure luck, he's not scripted to do that. He is scripted to avoid using area-effect spells that will hurt himself, so there's some sort of bug there.

There is, to be honest, very little coordination possible within the IE scripting language. You can sometimes fake it for specific groups of creatures but you can't program it generically, or not without risking people doing amazingly stupid things sometimes.

Actually the "waiting till party gathers" is pure luck, he's not scripted to do that. He is scripted to avoid using area-effect spells that will hurt himself, so there's some sort of bug there.

well, maybe it's just that he turned visible upon using trigger, and I attacked him, so that scull traps fired closer to him than they were supposed to.

I got bored with Athkatla quests, and rushed to Spellhold. Old and new issues:

Guarded Compound: in original game there was no little encounter at the first stage, but now there are only 2 invisible stalkers

Lassal (a vampire at bodhi's lair): he was blue, even when I attacked him. After hurting him badly he said something like "dare you to follow me to lower tombs" and ran to the second level. I found him near bodhi's coffin, he still had nothing to say, nor attacked me, and was unkillable.

Summoned efreeties do nothing, absolutely

Imoen does not help to kill bhaal in a dream

a lich in spellhold cast horred wilting at efreeti

I encountered a group of drow upon reaching underdark, for some reason group wizards did not attack together with others. I killed them later.

Guarded Compound: in original game there was no little encounter at the first stage, but now there are only 2 invisible stalkers
I fought against four of them...and because of i've corrected their .cre in my spell mod they were quite powerful. Anyway i don't know if DavidW has anything to do with them replacing Demon and Efreeti but i think Invisible Stalkers are much more appropriate for that encounter.
Lassal (a vampire at bodhi's lair): he was blue, even when I attacked him. After hurting him badly he said something like "dare you to follow me to lower tombs" and ran to the second level. I found him near bodhi's coffin, he still had nothing to say, nor attacked me, and was unkillable.

Imoen does not help to kill bhaal in a dream

I encountered a group of drow upon reaching underdark, for some reason group wizards did not attack together with others. I killed them later.

I had none of these bugs...have you posted your weidu.log somewhere? It could help.

- I certainly didn't intend to change the guarded compound. But in any case I can't reproduce that problem: I still get the efreeti, nishruu and glabrezu (though I notice that "smarter fiends" needs to interface with this room better).

- I'm reasonably sure the Lassal problem isn't due to SCSII. I'd guess it's a bug in Questpack but I haven't had a chance to do any testing.

- summoned efreetis: do you mean player-summoned or enemy summoned?

- lich: were you invisible at the time? It's possibly intended behaviour. (Probably not though.)

- drow group: do you mean the wizards sat around and did nothing or that they somehow got separated from the rest of their group?

- I certainly didn't intend to change the guarded compound. But in any case I can't reproduce that problem: I still get the efreeti, nishruu and glabrezu (though I notice that "smarter fiends" needs to interface with this room better).

That might be courtesy of Quest Pack. There's a component that replaces "the arbitrary summoning mish-mash" with a few Invisible Stalkers.

I had none of these bugs...have you posted your weidu.log somewhere? It could help.

In this topic.

- summoned efreetis: do you mean player-summoned or enemy summoned?

enemy summoned

- lich: were you invisible at the time? It's possibly intended behaviour. (Probably not though.)

I wasn't in his line of sight (but I was visible)

- drow group: do you mean the wizards sat around and did nothing

yes

the drow aren't those from original game. Maybe CoM Encounters, I'm not sure

Aha. Yes, they're from CoM Encounters, which is assuming the old mage script. Compatibility added locally. Can you help me out with bug descriptions by commenting whenever you know it's affecting a mod-added creature?

went through the unseeing eye quest. What can I say - beholders are easily the touughest foes I've fought so far. Actually, not even beholders themselves, but gauths. They're killing spree, slinging rays like machine guns. Supported by beholders' antimagic rays, they do very big amount of damage in very short time (+paralyze, charm, etc). Beholders are also nasty with their spells, but thanks to saves' bonuses that short folk have, they not so much of a danger. Keldorn was petrified in seconds, though. I'd revive him, but the sculpture was destroyed, too. Poor, poor old paladin. I decided it will fit RP well to take him in the party for completing the quest, although this time I decided to go with shorties only. Beholders at the area with diseased followers of Amaunator took 3 or 4 reloads, the ones at the hive - only 2 (but Keldorn was lost =().

Beholders (except the elder orbs) don't seem to have very good saving throws and are suceptable to disabling spells like Chaos, Confusion, and Emotion (they can also be entangled in Web allowing for the Web -> Cloudkill/Death Fog/Incindary Cloud treatment if you perfer, but at least with the first two I can't kill them without multiple castings). The Emotion spell seems to take out 2/3-3/4 of all gauths and maybe 1/2 of all beholders. Since it is an AoE with scouting it can be used as the opening move in an engagement. Slightly staggering the casting slgihtly with a 2nd mage using Greater Malision can really, really helps even the odds (or just haveing two mages blast away with Emotion). Then move in for melee kills, even without any real fighters sleeping foes are so easily hit that even a party of mages can do the trick with ease. Confused Beholders only attack in melee. Elder Orbs are trickier, but they can also fail saving throws and are susceptable to disabling spells after their spell protections are brought down (Pierce Magic...).

-Starcrunch

Archived