Advance game time?

Domi

Heya evereyone, I searched IESDP, but I didn't find anything appropriate. I was wondering how I can advance time in the game, ie the character sais "Let's go hunting", then say a week goes by? I guess I can use RestParty() if there is no good command for that.

You can use the DayNight() action during a cutscene to manually advance the game time. However, this is somewhat inaccurate and you might be off by 24 hours depending on the current time of day. For example, the following script block advances the game time by either 48 hours or 72 hours, depending on the current time of day. If it's past noon already, then the time is advanced by 72 hours, otherwise by 48 hours.

IF
True()
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	StartCutSceneMode()
	DayNight(NOON)
	SmallWait(1)
	DayNight(NOON)
	SmallWait(1)
	DayNight(NOON)
	EndCutSceneMode()
END

Check the "Bondari Reloads" cutscene in ToB for another example.

Oh! I've long wanted to ask this question: is there a list of actions that cannot be chained and need a Wait() after, somewhere? I know that it might be in IESDP, but I haven't found a sublist in bg2actions/triggers, and it might be useful.

Very, very few. I think there's only one or two others (was it TextScreen()? maybe RestParty()?). It's not something that should really ever happen (I'm pretty sure any other actions aren't going to be ones that you'd ever have a reason to subsequently call multiple times). EDIT: now that I think about it, it was almost certainly TextScreen() -- you can get away with it in cutscene mode, but outside cutscene mode, you always want to play it safe and stick a SmallWait(1) after any TextScreen() call when other actions come after it (DayNight() needs the waits even in cutscene mode, however).

Keep in mind that DayNight() will tend to reposition the party (the same as resting will move the party around so they're roughly in the user-selected formation). If you're going to use it in a cutscene where you move the party (either moving to a new area or just JumpToPoint()), make sure you do your DayNight()s *before* repositioning the PCs (otherwise, you can't guarantee where they'll actually be positioned, and it will probably look like ass).

I implemented my DayNight() based on Cut41a(I think - I remember 41 part, but not a part) - the one when they travel to Brynnlaw. And there's no Wait() _after_ the last DayNight in either - just Rest() actions for all party members. Also, the party moves before DayNight - and it seems to work fine, too. I wonder.

With TextScreen() and RestParty(), I always stick them last(but then again, it's impossible to make a good TextScreen(), since the original voice actor is not available, so I try to avoid this thing).

Does DayNight perform a Rest action as well?

No rest is granted, AFAIK. Quite contrary, the party may even become fatigued if enough time passes. :) This is most evident after the "Bondari Reloads" cutscene.

I mean, will you get healed (at least partially), or spells get rememorized.

Nope, the party's spells won't be restored and the characters won't be healed unless they have some form of regeneration (i.e. wearing a Ring of Regeneration or having a CON > 19).

Archived