Found a good mod, have a recommendation?

Caedwyr

Recently, I've been doing some digging through all the various BG1/BG2 mods and I've run across a few hidden gems that seem to be off the beaten track and not mentioned very often. Noticing this, I was wondering if anyone else had some 'hidden gem' they'd like to share, or a mod to recommend to others.

So, starting the post off here are my offerings:

Wild Mage Additions: http://home.tiscali.de/jo.ge/bg/shaper.htm

by: Jochen Gehring

- A very nice looking expansion on the Wild Mage kit, with new spells and a new version of the kit. This mod seems very well thought out and has excellent documentation. Particular care has been taken in checking for compatibility. It's even usable with BGT and Tutu.

Authentic mischiefous Fairy Dragon: http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/index.p...mp;#entry296780

by: Jochen Gehring

Weidu Conversion: Badgert

- Another nice little modlet that makes the fairy dragon a real familiar and more than something that takes up an inventory slot.

iiItem Mod: http://www.teambg.eu/forum/index.php?board=34.0

by: igi

- An item mod, that at first glance seems to add some new and refreshing items into the game, without adding a large number of HACKMASTER+12s that seem to be so common in most other item mods. I'd love to see an evaluation of how well balanced the items are for the vanilla game. Maybe I'll play a game through with it and write one myself.

Every Mod and a Dog: http://s4.invisionfree.com/namc/index.php?showforum=1

by: cliffette

- An nice collection of zany mini-quests that fit very nicely into the game and provide some quirky humor. If you liked Dogmeat in Fallout, then you'll love this mod.

Mang0's Hip-Hop Mod: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=4534

by: SlidMang0

- Truly the epitome of classical storytelling technique. Flawless implementation and the breathtaking strokes with which this mod paints its tale makes this a must-install.

Oh oh oh!!! I like this thread!

Ok, here goes...

A Mod for the Orderly: Click here!

by: clifette

- Another small mod by Clifette. Basically a keyring. Comes in Not So Serious or Consistency Plus version.

Slightly Improved Ilyich: Click here!

by: razfallow

- I'm a big fan of this mod as it really improves Chateau Irenicus without making it crazy difficult as some other mods out there (::Cough:: Tactics ::Cough::). After going through this mod, you'll certainly develop greater respect for the Shadow Thieves. Unfortunately the author doesn't seem to support it anymore, and this is one of those mod you want to see improved.

Improved Battles Mod: Click here!

by: moonfruit and tyrus

- As a tactic mod, this one is rather nice. Selected components from this and from the Tactics mod will certainly make the game more challenging. However, much like Slightly Improved Ilyich, the mod is no longer supported by its authors. A pity really, as the basic design is already quite interesting.

- I'm a big fan of this mod as it really improves Chateau Irenicus without making it crazy difficult as some other mods out there (::Cough:: Tactics ::Cough::). After going through this mod, you'll certainly develop greater respect for the Shadow Thieves. Unfortunately the author doesn't seem to support it anymore, and this is one of those mod you want to see improved.

Ah well, since I have a job, I don't have so much free time, but I slowly preparing next version. And if you have any suggestions what could be improved, just let me know.

Also I'm creating scripts for Valiant's Tower of Deception.

Tower of Deception, definitely - I'd wait for v3, though.

I'd also recommend Zyraen's Misc - this statue of riddles is really, really annoying, and one of the mod's components finally makes it more bearable.

And, of course, Ghreyfain's "Some of my best friends are slimes"... no, no, "Shome of my besht friendsh are shlimesh" is incredible.

http://www.pocketplane.net/ironmod

No shlimeshm here!

Spellhold Gauntlet

by: Zyraen

- This is more of a tactically-oriented mod, and provides an alternate route out of Spellhold. It's great for those sick of running through the same Spellhold route, and has some great, varied battles - you can play as hard or as easy as you would like; but don't expect the challenges to be a pushover. :(

There are so many mods that I have yet to sample, but here are a few that may not be all that well known either because they're relatively new, or otherwise overlooked:

Sword Coast Strategems - For BG1 Tutu (BG2 version currently undergoing beta testing). AI/tactics mod. Enemies behave more intelligently and realistically. Outstanding work, imho it's what Bioware should have given the customer from the getgo. Practically gives you a whole new gaming experience. Very customizeable too (select the features you like).

Gavin - BG1 Tutu. I have yet to play this NPC mod, but I'm confident that berlinde has done a wonderful job with it (she is very creative, thoughtful, and has a great attention to detail). An additional cleric NPC was needed for BG1 with only Branwen available in the vanilla game until the end of Cloakwood.

Berserker Minsc - For either BG1 Tutu or BG2. A nice little mod that keeps Minsc a ranger but relaces his unuseable vanilla Enrage ability with the standard one from the Berserker kit, eliminates the temporary fatigue after the Enraged state, and removes his ranger spellcasting abilities. If I ever have Minsc in the party, this mod is a must-have for me.

Hubelpot NPC - Wonderfully voice acted NPC with an endearing concept (he's a simple vegetable merchant). The one time I used Hubelpot so far, I selected the 'village druid' kit option for him. He still did a fine job as he leveled. This is a particularly welcome mod to try if you seek a departure from overpowered custom NPCs.

Wild Mage Additions has already been mentioned--it's an excellent mod.

Btw, I'd appreciate some feedback on the following mods: At some point I was considering trying out a couple of evil NPCs, Ariena and Kido. They sound interesting, can anyone comment on them? tnx

Ah well, since I have a job, I don't have so much free time, but I slowly preparing next version. And if you have any suggestions what could be improved, just let me know.

Great to know you're still around. :( Since I don't want to clutter this thread, you can take a look at your PMs for those suggestions of mine.

Tower of Deception, definitely - I'd wait for v3, though.

Any idea when v3 is coming out? The forums at BWL don't say.

Berserker Minsc - For either BG1 Tutu or BG2. A nice little mod that keeps Minsc a ranger but relaces his unuseable vanilla Enrage ability with the standard one from the Berserker kit, eliminates the temporary fatigue after the Enraged state, and removes his ranger spellcasting abilities. If I ever have Minsc in the party, this mod is a must-have for me.

Probably the next best thing for Minsc until Lvl1NPC comes out (if ever). However, wasn't there compatibilies issues between this mod and the Ranger HLA's?

Thanks

[berserker Minsc]... Probably the next best thing for Minsc until Lvl1NPC comes out (if ever). However, wasn't there compatibilies issues between this mod and the Ranger HLA's?

I didn't notice any when I took Minsc with that kit through ToB recently. Not that I was on the lookout for it, though.

Level 1 NPCs mod (in beta), developed by Nythrun and nurtured by several of us, is a great little tool that does something really amazing: allows the gamer to change the kit/class of default NPCs (hopefully in future versions will be able modify custom NPCs).

The current beta is theoretically located in the first post of [this thread].

The patriarch of the above mod is Blucher's alternate BG2 NPCs which is non-WeiDU mod but don't let that scare you away unless you confess that you're a follow-instructions-challenged type o' person -- because the mod works. Very well.

If you use this mod, you have to add the NPC files after g3Fixpack for some of the NPCs in order to get the necessary changes.

Archived