Found a good mod, have a recommendation?

Caedwyr

<snip!>

...FR_ROV

I believe most if not all issues were resolved by the little rascals at SHS.

Do you have any comparisons for the item power in the mod compared to the original game? Bonus merchant power levels, end of ToB power levels, BG1 power levels? I'm looking for some general comments here about how well they fit into the existing game.

I've been away for a few days, so I've not been able to comment on (or even read) this thread.

So, thanks to everyone who has recommended my mods, or mods by TeamBG. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions, I am very eager to hear them! A review of the balance of the items added by iiItem would be fantastic if anyone could write such a thing :(

And, slightly more on topic, I'd mentiond One Pixel Productions (over at SHS I believe), to make BG2 a little more beautiful.

So, thanks to everyone who has recommended my mods, or mods by TeamBG. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions, I am very eager to hear them! A review of the balance of the items added by iiItem would be fantastic if anyone could write such a thing :(

Since we're here about good mods - I haven't installed iiItem, but I don't think I'm going to play another game without your iiSpellSystemAdjustment mod. By being conservative with the refresh timer setting it's not even unbalancing. It just avoids the irresistible urge to rest after almost every battle, or the urge to have your spellcasters do nothing in a battle just in case they need their spells for the next one. Combined with ADSpellPack by marv, it makes the game much more enjoyable for mage players like me.

I hadn't mentioned portrait mods, mostly because all they do is make the game prettier, but hey! That's kind of the point of mods, isn't it, to make the game more enjoyable?

Plasmocat's BG1 Portraits in the BG2 style is an absolute must on any Tutu or BGT install I have.

I like adding BG1 NPC Portrait Pack (the one with portraits by Amok and others), because I particularly like the option to use these portraits for player characters, and because it's got about the only portrait for Coran that I actually like.

BG1 Portraits Alternativos, hosted at Team BG, is also wonderful. Again, I like the option of using the portraits for player characters. All my male PCs who are of fighterly inclination use Ajantis1, all my male elves use Kivan1, and most of my female PCs use Dynaheir1 or Safana1. I prefer Xan2 for Xan.

Do you have any comparisons for the item power in the mod compared to the original game? Bonus merchant power levels, end of ToB power levels, BG1 power levels? I'm looking for some general comments here about how well they fit into the existing game.

That's too big a request, that'll sidetrack this thread.

I direct you to FR_ROV's ReadMe and its hosting forum for more info and players' opinions.

I took a look through the .tra files that have all the item descriptions in them, and I have to stand by my earlier assessment that the items granted by the mod are a bit rich for my tastes. It reminds me a lot of mods like Dark Ritual or CoM encounters, so if you like the item power given by those mods, FR_ROV might be for you. To compare to the stages of the game I mentioned earlier, I could see myself using a lot of the items at the end of ToB for the final battle, so you're looking at a power level similar to the Robe of Vecna or a bit higher.

There's also some 4th wall breaking items in there, so if that type of stuff bothers you, keep it in mind.

I think those mods and mine as well, are in par with BG2's items. I like power gaming like the next person, but for those who played PnP games, how many +5 hackmasters did your party find if they found them? BG1 was good by following close to PnP type of rules, I believe the biggest weapon they had was a +3. BG2 is a power gamers game. Look at all of the +4 +5 weapons and armor.

One mod I'm interested in is Galactygon's Spell Pack beta. I'll probably give it a download and try on my next run through the games. I've been impressed with some of the things he has reported to have implemented and the screenshots of some of his spells look pretty good. Hopefully I'll be able to report more once I've given it a spin.

And for igi, I'll be sure to do a review of the balance of the items offered by the iiItems mod.

BG1 Portraits Alternativos, hosted at Team BG, is also wonderful. Again, I like the option of using the portraits for player characters.

Ooh, that's one of my must-installs too!

I don't know if it's technically a mod, but I once found a collection of the Icewind Dale portraits adapted for Baldur's Gate II that I'm very fond of.

Just a further note on this topic. The game I'm currently playing has made Every Mod and a Dog by Cliffette and linked in the OP a must install for me. I'm very impressed by how well the zany quests and encounters fit into the original game seamlessly. Particular favourites include A Z-rated adventure and A Bhaalspawn's Best Friend.

Another mod I can recommend is SimDingo's DEFJAM if you are looking for a challenge. I'm currently playing a game with SCSII for intelligent non-cheating (mostly) AI, and several other tactical mods, and DEFJAM is a great way to provide an extremely challenging game while not going the route of over the top enemies who cheat like crazy. Add to this my PC's kit has a 15% experience penalty, and I'm almost half-way through the game with only Yoshimo being higher than level 10.

SCSII's component to adjust the amount of gold required to raise for a trip to Brynlaw is another nice touch that allows a roleplayer to hang around doing quests and not rushing off immediately to rescue Imoen. I'm finding with the increased challenge I've mentioned above I often have to balance purchasing new items and saving the money. I need the items to survive, but need the cash to continue the story.

Hmm, when I saw that one before I thought it was the other Subrace mod hosted at COM. finnJO's version seems to be more elegantly implemented, though I wonder how well it'd work with The_Bigg's advanced difficulty slider system. I'll have to check it out.

Archived