Carsomyr - Cumulative Magic Resistance

Guest Symm

I noticed that Carsomyr still doesn't have cumulative MR...This seems a bit daft as you can circumvent it by equipping it first and then the other MR items you may have. Might as well make Carsomyr cumulative to start with.

I noticed that Carsomyr still doesn't have cumulative MR...

- as it still does not have to have it. Read the description.

Oh..come on, don't be so pedantic. We both know that equipping Carsomyr first then other items raises the MR above 50%...why bother going through the whole damn routine of taking off and then putting on items when re-equipping the sword. I'm sure the designers didn't intend to achieve this effect...and you know it.

It's been confirmed by the developers that Carsomyr is supposed to set MR to 50%, not raise it by 50%. That it behaves wonky in the game doesn't mean we're going to go against developer intent.

Can you quote who said this ludicrous remark. Surely equipping Carsomyr wouldn't punish a character with a higher MR than 50%, by setting it to 50%. That would be tantamount to saying Carsomyr is a 'cursed' item, and seeing as you don't need to remove it via a remove curse spell, we can assume that the developer is mistaken.

Quoth the Dorner:

This is one of the ones that I was able to confirm with BioWare and they confirmed that it was supposed to be this way; they would have made it non-cumulative but didn't for the reasons noted and would have preferred it that it set M.R. to be 50% and didn't stack with any other M.R. items.

For those that have access to the old BD forum at SHS, this is the relevant thread (and this is the post I'm actually quoting). I can provide additional context if desired.

Just out of curiosity: if an item granted a 50% improvement to MR but your MR was actually 0 would it grant anything?

If it doesn't do anything then I would think the correct setting would be as it is currently in FP (set to 50%) as this would give the majority of paladins the most benefit.

50% bonus in BG2 terms means a flat increase of 50 rather than 1.5 times the original.

(The Carsomyr thing is king of stupid and I'd welcome a tweak which reduces the resistance to, say, 10/15% but makes it cumulative.)

I agree with this entirely...it would be the most sensible solution.

I noticed that Carsomyr still doesn't have cumulative MR...This seems a bit daft as you can circumvent it by equipping it first and then the other MR items you may have. Might as well make Carsomyr cumulative to start with.

there are a lot of things that are not consistent with descriptions

I found on my hard drive a zip containing SW2H10.ITM and SW2H19.ITM, along with this note:

'Extract to the Baldur's Gate II override directory.

This fix is taken from Weimer's Item Upgrade mod. It alters Carsomyr +5 and Carsomyr +6 so that they use the same "dispel magic" opcode as the Staff of the Magi i.e. they will actually dispel things. They will now also increase Magic Resistance by 50% rather than setting it to 50%.'

Can I continue to use these two files even if I have the BG2 Fixpack installed?

Yep.

If anyone wants to change Carsomyr to add 50% MR without overwriting other stuff, add this somewhere to the tp2 in the core fixes section (this won't interfere with other Carsomyr fixes):

// change carsomyr to add 50 MR instead of setting
COPY_EXISTING ~sw2h10.itm~  ~override~ // carsomyr +5
		  ~sw2h19.itm~  ~override~ // carsomyr +6
 READ_LONG   0x6a "fx_off"
 READ_SHORT  0x70 "fx_num"
 FOR (index = 0; index < fx_num; index = index + 1) BEGIN
READ_SHORT ("%fx_off%" +		("%index%" * 0x30)) "opcode"
PATCH_IF ("%opcode%" = 166) BEGIN
  WRITE_LONG  ("%fx_off%" + 0x08 + ("%index%" * 0x30)) 0 // increase/decrease
END
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES