Feedback needed

Guest Guest_Kitanna_*

What Domi said about the background: Don't make him an elf raised by a human, but anything else would go (elf raised by elves / half-elf, human raised by humans). I would even like him not to ba an orphant... All I can say I love the concept of "nothing special". Thing is, he will be something special anyway: He has his own dialogues, his own romance, and it will develop in a way you want it to be, and I am sure you have a story to tell. There is no need to stuff your character with extraordinarities beforehand, it will only look a bit odd. See this thread for what I mean (it is absolutely brilliant): Overused Ideas.

To the dialogue sample: I assume the finished dialogue will provide a bit more choices, at least I would recommend it will.

As for the action texts: I am not fond of action text that tells me how my PC feels ("...You feel your knees go weak and melt into his arms"). Take it out of the action text and put it as one possible reply option. The gaming experience will be much more enjoyable, imho.

Good luck!

I for one find an NPC that is more normal to be very refreshing amongst all the exotic tieflings, half dragons, vampires, otherworldly NPCs that seem to pop up. It does mean that you don't have a gimmick for the character to rely upon, but if the writing is good its a very valid character concept.

I do like the suggestion Domi made regarding a half-elf uncle raising him. You could still get the more human perspective in his raising from that while shying a little further from the somewhat formulaic "raised by humans" background.

Thank you for the feedback first of all. To wake up and see 2 pages

was nice. I admit I have some things that don't fit. Which is why I asked

for the opionions of writers I have come to respect. I wanted a more normal

as you say person because I myself am a bit tired of characters that the

PC has to comfort or conjole whatever. And the, well, I'll help you

if you help me thing. Why can't someone just help someone out of the goodness of their heart? This was my thought anyway. I know elves have been done alot

also. I am afraid to say that the portrait is responsible for his race.

I envisioned what the man in that portrait might be like it he were brought

to life. No matter. I think I'll throw in the towel on this one. Anyway, thank you

all again for your assistance with this.

No, No one discouraged me. I was given very valid reasons why, just

as I suspected, my ideas on this wouldn't work. I should have stuck

with my original idea but, I thought people might be tired or ranger/archer

types and thought thieve's weren't used as much so, maybe that would

be better. But, I was having trouble with the thief idea, which is obvious,

and why he sounds more like a ranger. My first thought was

Class: Fighter

Kit: Peerless Archer

And no, I wasn't going to make him only able to use longbows, I just hadn't

decided what other weapon to choose. I thought maybe rapier, because it's

different but, longsword is more common.

Throw in the towel on this one meant, on this idea because it isn't a good one

and I knew that. The whole idea was very rough to begin with. And, you're

right Berelinde, there aren't many half-elves so I agree. It's a better option.

I'm not going to give up entirely but, I'm not going to do much with it right

now because I have a craft show coming up the first week of Dec. that

I have to prepare for. That and I have a large order for a special item that

I've never made before. So, I have alot of work to do making sure my inventory

is up to par. Everyone had very good ideas and on how I can improve

on this and I thank you very much. Whether or not I actually finish this

remains to be seen because I'm not very good at writing. But, it's something

I really want to try that and I'm just bored to death and need a challenge.

In that case, carry on!

But make sure you've got pencil and paper or a digital voice recorder handy at all times, because now that you've got the bug, you're going to be getting ideas about what you want to do with the mod *all the time!*

It's your character, your story, you write it the way you want to. Don't get all worried about what others may think. Their input may be beneficial, but remember to do what makes you feel happy doing.

100% agreed - the input is here (and freely given around here :( ) because we all want to help, not shut anyone down. Getting feedback is awesome for avoiding stuff you may find very frustrating, not technically possible, or way overlapping in content, but it is all in support of a new story being told. If you have a story, please tell it!!!!

Valen (NWN1) - tiefling fighter (I think, didn't play NWN1)

Actually, there is a sort-of mini-mod (hopefully on it's way to becoming a full mod) of Valen Shadowbreath for BG2 available at petalsandthorns.com

I say go for it. I for one always want more lovin' in the BG2 world. I like your elf.

As for Vanim and Silverstar I didn't think they were complete mods so I wouldn't count them. I don't even know where Vanim is or anything about him/her.

And I doubt very much Khadion or Cailean will ever be finished. Or at least not before I'm dead of old age. You younger folks can carry on!

Please don't be discouraged and go ahead and write. I am a sucker for romances so you'll at least have one player!

I made some changes that make much more sense than before, and

thx cmorgan and solaufein for you comments. You're right! And maybe

now that I no longer have a portrait.... :( I have alot more options

that I had originally allowed myself. I got an e-mail and it seems the

person I contacted didn't actually READ my e-mail and told me the

portrait was his and I could use it. Now he says, I'm sorry, now that

I read your e-mail more carefully, no it isn't mine. I just altered it and

included it in my package. I have no idea who did the actual work :love:

I hope this doesn't turn out bad since I used it as an avatar and

said it would be in my mod. Anyway, I took the excellent advice

I was given and threw out the background crud and with some luck,

it will be a mod worthy of G3 ;)

To the OP:

The concept is worth developing, and there's a world of possibilities to explore in deciding what to build into the character! As for the longbow, Elves are allowed to use longbows, shortbows, longswords, and I think rapiers (or is it short swords?), regardless of class, as part of their racial heritage. That's been built into the game for a very long time, but I don't know if BG acknowledges it. Still, you can write anything you want into a mod, can you not?

Best wishes,

Eric

Archived