Future plans and your wishlist

Domi

Heh, yes, somehow the "But you will have to play a female elf..." didn't prove to be much of hurdle....

Some folks like playing elves. I'm not crazy about it, but I do when the mod I'm playing requires it.

I wonder how folks would feel about playing dwarves or half-orcs...

Half-orcs aren't so bad, because they get to use human avatars with funny skintone. But the dwarves in IE games are just too hideous.

But then, I've got this freakish obsession with half-orcs. ;)

OK, just a slight subtle hint about perhaps a

femaleredhairedemeraldeyedelfhalfelfhumanwithagrandmotherwhowasadryadwhowillfallheadoverheelsanddoal

lsortsofnaughtythingsinthemromanceforanymalewhoisgoodorneutralwhodoesn'tactlikeajerkandgenerallyisassmartandequalaspossiblewiththemaleprotagonist

romance path?

Heh, yes, somehow the "But you will have to play a female elf..." didn't prove to be much of hurdle....

I actually like that it requires you to be an elf. Makes sense.

Also, it shows the NPC in question isn't one of those "pointy-eared humans" that often try to pass for elves in some mods or even in official games ;)

Besides, Xan also required the main character to be an elf, I don't think it hurt the popularity of the mod ;)

No. For me, that's a drawback.

I agree with you here, that's why I don't have firm racial restrictions on other romances, instead I index them, but Diriel is Diriel. That was actually the original problem that made me drop him in favor of Rizdaer. But since there are alternatives now....

My apologies, I didn't mean to sound negative. You can put restrictions on him that you think fit. Making all romance options require an elven PC, now that would be kind of one-sided, though. ;)

I prefer human PC, don't know why. I half-heartedly made an half-elven PC to see the first part of Xan's BG1 romance, but it just doesn't feel right (the PC's race, not the romance).

Hmm.. for me to express my thoughts on a future version, which I very much hope will be there, I will have to express some criticism, but trust me when I say it's purely constructive.

First things first, this mod is almost 20 mb big. Why? Aside from the action sounds, the mod itself isn't voiced, or if it is, than I must have experienced some unusual bug. Then why is the download size so big?

Which brings me to my number one request: I'd love to see all the characters voiced! While reading line after line does have a nostalgic charm on it's own, it seems almost a requirement in mod development nowadays, but it would also tremendously help undergo the experience.

My second request involves the scripting. As far as I can tell, and bear with me, I only just entered the thirth chapter, you have two conversations per npc, plus an additional one for the npc your dating. When you have these to talks is entirely up to you. In other words, when you have the two conversations at the beginning of each chapter, your npc's will be relatively mute. I think this could easily be solved by letting the conversations be triggered by certain events, or by forcing a minimum of two hours between conversations, presuming that a version 2 will have more conversations that is. This will greatly enhance the dynamics and unexpectedness of this mod.

Finally, a compliment: The writing of this mod is truely great, it really is. Beeing a writer myself I can see great skill in your works. The flirtations between my npc and, in this case, Salomeya, are very good, with a good mix of humor, sexiness and sheer eroticism.

Then why is the download size so big?

Because it has 460 voiced lines (46 x 10 NPCs). In ogg size-saving format, each line is anywhere between 10 and 100 kb, plus each of the 10 characters has a 500 kb or so ogg format music file. When you install the mod, the ogg files are transferred into wav format that the engine recognizes. The mod also includes 2 sets of high-res portraits, each abot 200 kb. There are some 24 or so of them, extra portraits come in anticipation of new character development and a few are there for a small but fun Hildury's subplot that I doubt many players had seen.

Which brings me to my number one request: I'd love to see all the characters voiced! While reading line after line does have a nostalgic charm on it's own, it seems almost a requirement in mod development nowadays, but it would also tremendously help undergo the experience.

I understand the sentiment, but the realities of the amature voice-acting are such that it is practically impossible. From all the voice-actors that worked on this hobby project maybe 3 or 4 are still reachable. I am interminably greatful to each and everyone of them for doing what they did. But unless I front 1000$+ for each character for a professional voice actor the full voicing is out of the question.

As far as I can tell, and bear with me, I only just entered the thirth chapter, you have two conversations per npc, plus an additional one for the npc your dating. When you have these to talks is entirely up to you. In other words, when you have the two conversations at the beginning of each chapter, your npc's will be relatively mute. I think this could easily be solved by letting the conversations be triggered by certain events, or by forcing a minimum of two hours between conversations, presuming that a version 2 will have more conversations that is.

Each character has his or her own independent timer for PC banter and for NPC banter, plus there is a generic timer that places a minumum space between the talks of the various characters; the timers are now balanced to the best of my ability, in accordance to how "chatty" each character is. Each character has 1 or 2 talks with the PC per chapter plus approximately 1 talk per chapter that is event-dependent; you will see more event-dependent talks in the later chapters, because for the most characters it's either Prologue or Chapter 1 event-dependent talk; Salomeya is also the only one who has an event-dependent talk in Chapter 6. Salomeya's romance is different from any other romances, because half of her love-talks are event-dependent, and half - event-independent. Unfortunately, IWD2 does not have the so called Real Timers, which allow counting the "player's time", the only timer available is the "game" time. Which whooshes past you every time you rest. So, the more you rest, the more closely spaced the banter becomes and vice-versa.

Version 2 will have Diriel's romance added. No other additions are planned for the rest of the NPCs. In my testing when playing relatively quickly the existing banter already become somewhat overwhelming, because you should always remember, it comes at you from 5 different NPCs, unlike the custom BG characters that balance against the nearly silent Bio NPCs.

Finally, a compliment: The writing of this mod is truely great, it really is. Beeing a writer myself I can see great skill in your works. The flirtations between my npc and, in this case, Salomeya, are very good, with a good mix of humor, sexiness and sheer eroticism.

Thank you, I am very greatful for your compliment, and I hope that I have adequately answered your other questions :thumbsup:

So, I've finished the main romantic sequence for Diriel, and all I can say is...

you asked for it

It is in character, it is logical, I think, but it will also require to play the type of elven character I believe people rarely play... I dunno, I guess we shall see if it flies or not. :) Anyway, proof-reading, coding and the flirtrs are next for that one.

First, yeah ID2 finally gets some love. It's always nice to find a good mod, especially if it's for a game that doesn't have many (or is that any, I forget).

You did a marvelous job fleshing out each of the characters, and your pre-created party was well done.

However, when I went back a created my own party, I found that the character's my PC would have been most attracted to weren't. The Salomeya "romance" didn't fit my Ranger, and I found Peony to be too childish to romance. And while Prachi could be made into a romancible character, my character was more attracted to Valeero. I felt Valeero could have been made into a very well done romance, even if it never became consumated. And while I don't see Valeero leaving Blain out of hand just for the PC, I could easily see her developing romantic feelings for him.

Or, as I've read else where, you could add another NPC.

One additional request, could you add the option of installing only the character levels we want. I can't see myself ever starting with anything higher than level 3.

Finally, I want to say again I really enjoyed this effort. Good stuff

First game - Nord's Company

Second game - Johann(PC Ranger), Sir Nord, Prachi, Valeero, Jaemal, Peony

Heya, I am glad you've liked the mod!

No, making Valeero's romanceable seriously messes up with her existing material. I am not prepared to do it. Guys, I hear all the voices in favor of one more romance for a male PC. What I will do, I will open a thread and see what people have to say - if anything. In my experience, there is unfortunately too few opinions to be heard before commiting to something major. If there will be a lot, I will consider penning in a different new NPC than the one I was hoping to start at some point (ie not Molnea/Squall). If there won't be any, well, then I'll just pass - and I hope you will understand. My modding time is precious commodity, and I can't do something that people are not interested in when I have the other projects I am burning to do. :(

As for installing the characters only on the levels you want, please, simply delete the toons you do not want from your game menue. It is *very* easy to do, the game is set up to manage it, and it takes no resources whatsoever for me to include the extra CREs. So, I simply do not see why I should double-customize it.

There is another thing that should be added to the wishlist.

More information added to the FAQ or readme about how the "matches" functions (well they probably arent called functions I'm guessing. but I really don't know anything about script programming so I'm going to call them functions in this post due to the fact I am ignorant of the correct terminology) are calculated for romances. Theres really not much concrete information about making matches in the forum threads or readme other than you must be an elf for the future released Diriel or you can't be an bard for Salomeya .

Theres hints scattered such as its harder to make a match with Salomeya if your a gnome or paladin, but even after reading that the reader doesnt know if being one of those just decreases th probability that could be overcome by not making dialogue mistakes or if a gnome Paladin has no chance at all

No mention whatsoever if there are stat requirements like there were in BG1NPC project, or if stats are part of the match calculation

If the player fails to make the match check, they don't know if it was due to bad roleplaying choices or whatever character values don't calculate to the required values

A listing of better information about making matches with NPC [x] should be a desired addition as well as more information on the mechanics of the match functions

Good job on the mod though. Another quality one. Well I havent seen a mad Gibberling mod project spearheaded by Domi, but thats really not the point

Archived