My NPC idea

Kitanna

After my first post, and embarrasing myself, I have given alot of thought

to everything everyone said and here is my new one.

My name is Calin Vryce and I am Human Blademaster. Allow me

to tell you part of my story and then you decide if I am worth knowing.

I was born in Deepingdale. My father was one of the town guards and held high

hopes I'd follow in his footsteps when I became of age. We had guards who patroled the outlying areas due to an increase in orc and goblin raids. All the children who were interested, were trained to fight. My father soon discovered I had a "gift for swords" as he called it and decided to hire a blademaster to take over my training.When the day came that my training was complete, my father sent word to the captain of the guards. At first, the idea sounded exciting and I couldn't wait to get started. The trouble was, it wasn't exciting enough for me. As a child I had become fasinated by stories I heard from people passing through town of their adventures. Some so fastinating I half wondered if they hadn't been invented for my amusement. Even so, I'd lay awake at night pretending it was me in those dungeons and on the road seeking exciting adventures. It's funny how when you're a child, the pretend ones always make you come out a hero without a scratch. One day, I finally told my parents I wanted to quit guard duty and travel. My mother became quite pale and my father asked me if I had suffered a head injury. Needeless to say, I wasn't going to get their blessing and decided to do it anyway. I had a rough time in the beginning but, I am a blademaster afterall and word spread quickly. It's been eight years now since I left home and I felt it was time I stopped, took a break to re-evaluate my chosen path and decide if that's really how I want to spend the rest of my life. So, when I arrived here in Amn, I decided to stay awhile. I've been living here for the last year. Whether I give up adventuring remains to be seen but, I can't refuse a pretty face.

Heya, I think this one is a good, solid piece of background to put through the BG mill and see what will come out of it. He spunds like he has a sense of humor, there s a potential for his reconciliation with his parents and seeing their point of view a little more, hack, PC can even prompt him to write them a letter to let them know he still lives... In other words, good luck.

Stats well, I hadnt done that part yet. I was taking Berelinde's advice

on a post she wrote and organizing dialogue and such first. Getting my

story to make sense, opposed to that mess I posted before, and

decide how many talks I wanted in order for the story to play out well.

but, these seem ok so I'll most likely use these

Str: 16

Dex: 18

Con: 14

Int: 11

Wis: 10

Cha: 15

And I do appologize Kitana, I've used that name/spelling in every on/offline

game I've played for the last 10 years. It has become a habit to use it for

everything now. If I had know you were already using basically the same

name, I would have chosen another to save the confusion ;)

I have a question I hope someone can/will help me with. When your writing

dialogue, how many options are too few? I'm having trouble with putting

in more than 3.

You should always include enough PC response options to allow the player to roleplay the way he or she wants. There isn't any set number of PC responses that allows this. Sometimes, it's a simple yes or no question, and then, well, it's yes or no.

That's kind of funny, in a way. I find that I have a harder time restricting myself to four!

I guess it depends on the linearity of the storyline. If the NPC is on a mission, and it progresses a certain way or it doesn't progress at all, less PC response options are required. But when it's a question of values, the choices multiply exponentially.

The only answer there is to be guided by your devotion to truth in roleplaying.

And I do appologize Kitana, I've used that name/spelling in every on/offline

game I've played for the last 10 years. It has become a habit to use it for

everything now. If I had know you were already using basically the same

name, I would have chosen another to save the confusion ;)

Oh, it's alright, really - we both have similar taste in names, that's all. ;) Kitana was the name of an elven archer PC of mine for BG2 around the time that I registered, who I'd been drawing and writing about a lot at the time - I figured I might as well go with that name.

Ok so, say the NPC asks something specific like umm.....ok

for instance, "How did you end up in the promenade <charname>?"

The PC would either answer the question or choose to blow them off

which would be 2 options and acceptable? I don't want the story

to lack depth and therefore not be worth reading but, Like Domi said,

I don't want so many that it's overwhelming or just silly.

And I see your point Berelinde, there are indeed instances where even 4

isn't enough.

Dialog response options. Good, evil and neutral options should be included so the player can roleplay according to their alignment.

npc "I feel sad today."

Player

Option 1 Evil "Like I care? Go bother someone else with your mewlings."

Option 2 Neutral "What is bother you today?"

Option 3 Good "Oh that is so sad! What can I do to help you?"

Ok so, say the NPC asks something specific like umm.....ok

for instance, "How did you end up in the promenade <charname>?"

The PC would either answer the question or choose to blow them off

which would be 2 options and acceptable? I don't want the story

to lack depth and therefore not be worth reading but, Like Domi said,

I don't want so many that it's overwhelming or just silly.

And I see your point Berelinde, there are indeed instances where even 4

isn't enough.

I can think of several PC responses for that question that I might normally write, so... Hope this might help you somewhat.

1- An actual answer (captured by mage named Irenicus, imprisoned in dungeon, tortured, etc)

2- A less in-depth answer (escaping from a dungeon where I was being kept prisoner)

3- Polite refusal to respond that doesn't offend him (I'm sorry, the memory is recent and painful and I'd rather not talk about it kind of thing)

4- Rude refusal to answer (Shut up, I don't care about talking to you)

And maybe even

5- Outright lie about how PC ended up in the Promenade (Just passing by)

Archived