Worth the time? NPC mod idea...

Kitana

Well, I've started learning how to code (very, very slowly and painstakingly), with the eventual intention of writing my own NPC mod, which I've wanted to do for years now. I've always hated the shortage of halfling, gnome, dwarf, and half-orc NPCs. I'd really love feedback on the idea - I'm debating whether people'd actually like the concept, so...

Name: Rina (Full name Rina Hearthbrook; she goes by Rina)

Race: Halfling

Class: Fighter (Berserker kit)

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Stats:

Strength- 15

Dexterity- 17

Constitution- 11

Intelligence- 15

Wisdom- 10

Charisma- 14

What might be in-game bio-

When asked about her past, RINA tries to smile mysteriously, but ends up looking more good-natured and friendly than anything else. She explains in an almost nonchalant manner that after her mother died in a magical accident and her father took his own life, she was raised by a family of gnomes in Athkatla, and adventuring and helping people out always appealed to her. Any further questions are met with a vague request to ask her some other time.

Personality: On the surface, she is cheerful and good-natured. She's expecting a lot of heroic deeds out of adventuring, and may be a bit disappointed when it might not live up to her expectations - if the party's reputation drops below a certain point, she will leave. She seems to have accepted her past, but has a very low tolerance for things she doesn't like - if she sees people being mistreated, she will often lose her temper entirely and go into somewhat of a rage (berserker kit). She tries to control this when possible.

No PC romance - probably a PC friendship path of a sort. Might have a romance with Jan, if he's in the party - although I really hate when mods bring the focus of the game onto an NPC way too much instead of keeping it on the PC, so I'd try to keep that from happening.

So far I've got a sort of half-written introduction dialog - I just need to figure out how other NPCs would interject into something an NPC says, I still have to go searching for a tutorial on that.

I like all of it, apart from the romance with Jan. I kind of always thought of Jan as hopelessly in love with Lyssa. It's his quest, and it's in his epilogue... Now, people changed all that for PC romances, so why not for an NPC? Welll, maybe it's not going to be that bad. Anyway, she'll probably have a potential for a great friendship with Mazzy. So, Mazzy (Paladin), Jan (Thief-Mage), Alora (thief) and Rina (Fighter).... basically, a short-folk cleric (Yeslick?) and/or mage (not sure? would be nice to have Peony available) should make the full functional good-neutral short-folk party.

I'm guilty of never having actually read Jan's epilogue. Guess I'll have to figure out how to read the epilogues without beating the game - I've used Infinity Explorer, I'm just not sure what file they end up being saved in/as.

The way I've been writing this, pretty much, is I start writing and then I re-read and see what seems to work and what doesn't, and then I go back and change things... So not much is really definite besides her race and class, I think.

The epilogues are a bit tricky. They are part of the 2DA files, individual to every NPC, called something like NPCNAMEEND/NPCNAMEND.2DA

They are formatted like this:

2DA V1.0

*NJANL

0 1

SWITCH DEFAULT DEFAULT

DEFAULT 71020 73933

DWARF 0 0

ELF 0 0

HALFELF 0 0

HALFLING 0 0

GNOME 0 0

HUMAN 0 0

HALFORC 0 0

MAGE 0 0

FIGHTER 0 0

CLERIC 0 0

THIEF 0 0

BARD 0 0

PALADIN 0 0

FIGHTER_MAGE 0 0

FIGHTER_CLERIC 0 0

FIGHTER_THIEF 0 0

FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF 0 0

DRUID 0 0

RANGER 0 0

MAGE_THIEF 0 0

CLERIC_MAGE 0 0

CLERIC_THIEF 0 0

FIGHTER_DRUID 0 0

FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC 0 0

CLERIC_RANGER 0 0

where 73933 (for Jan) is the string # that is the epilogue text (just paste it in the string search portion of NI:

Jan Jansen's life following his association with <CHARNAME> was typically convoluted, the barest of details hidden amidst his half-truths and whole lies. According to his published memoirs, "A Jansen in Every Port", after a short prison term for monkey smuggling, he returned to his first love... monkey smuggling. This led to the now infamous Gibbon Riot of '72, a tumultuous and altogether unclean event that seemed to center on the estate of the Shadow Thief Vaelag. Jan would deny that he had planned the downfall of the rogue, but he was unable to explain what practical application he had intended for a horde of knife-wielding simians. Nevertheless, the death of the admittedly disliked and generally suspect Vaelag could not be attributed to the young gnome. Strangely enough, Jan had alibis for each and every second of the day in question, and what a day it must have been! Relatives from across the Realms came forward to say that he had stopped in for tea and turnips. At his later wedding to Lissa, Jan was asked how he managed to be in so many places at once, and yet still so far from the scene of the crime. "Well," Jan would say, "when you have that many monkeys, anything is possible.
I think that is his Ascension epilogue, not the unmodded game one. IRRC, in the unmodded game, he doesn't ever get back to Lissa. I'm not even sure she's mentioned again.

I've never played Ascension, so I wouldn't know... I'll have to check once I manage to restore my BG2 install somehow - I seem to have screwed it up to the point where now I'm trying to reinstall the game and the CDs are giving me problems that they didn't the FIRST time... But that's off topic, so...

I think that is his Ascension epilogue, not the unmodded game one. IRRC, in the unmodded game, he doesn't ever get back to Lissa. I'm not even sure she's mentioned again.

Seeing that I neither have the Ascension installed, nor indeed downloaded, that gotta be the original Epilogue. The only mods I have are Xan, Amber and Kivan. ;)

Interesting basic character concept, I like the odd marriage of the happy, friendly halfling personality with the berserker aspect. It could be Minsc-like, or just be that she's got a very nasty temper on her. The stat arrangement is good too, fitting for a halfling, and not too weak elsewhere.

Guess I'll have to figure out how to read the epilogues without beating the game

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/dl.php?s=BG...tob_endings.zip all the epilogues can be found there.

Seeing that I neither have the Ascension installed, nor indeed downloaded, that gotta be the original Epilogue. The only mods I have are Xan, Amber and Kivan.

just flicked through Jan's epilgoue, and yes its the same as in the link above, i didnt even know there were mods that edited that stuff.

but to get back to the topic of this thread for a minute, yeh id like to see some more halfling, dwarf gnome and even some Half Orc NPCs, too many elves.

Rina seems interesting, might like to give it a try if she is made into a, or part of a mod.

Archived