D&D Core Rule Books Question

Meanfred

Hey Guys,

I am just now getting into actually playing PnP D&D with miniatures, and I am confused about the rule books. I know everyone says don't buy any, and just wait for the 4e core books to come out next summer, but I think for what its worth, I will start now.

Basically, my question is what are all the core rule books in order for the current version of the game. Is v3 and v3.5 both considered current? I am new to this, so I am very confused. So if anyone could please list the full set of all the core rule books (Players Handbook, Monster Manual, Dungeon Master's Guide) to this date. That would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks a bunch everyone, your effort and time is greatly appreciated. Take it easy, and God Bless. Later Days....... =P

The indispensible "core" rulebooks are the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master Guide, and Monster Manual.

If you wanted to expand this into a Forgotten Realms setting, I would also recommend the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting sourcebook, and the Player's Guide to Faerun.

Version 3.5 is the current version. There is a free supplement you can download if you already have any of the core rulebooks in version 3, however.

The Expanded Psionics Handbook is considered "core" by some of the other supplements, but the three mentioned by berelinde are the ones you actually need to play. If you do decide to go for psionics, which is a system I enjoy a lot, then be aware that the Expanded Psionics Handbook is a complete replacement for the Psionics Handbook so you only need the former.

Hey Guys,

I am just now getting into actually playing PnP D&D with miniatures, and I am confused about the rule books. I know everyone says don't buy any, and just wait for the 4e core books to come out next summer, but I think for what its worth, I will start now.

Basically, my question is what are all the core rule books in order for the current version of the game. Is v3 and v3.5 both considered current? I am new to this, so I am very confused. So if anyone could please list the full set of all the core rule books (Players Handbook, Monster Manual, Dungeon Master's Guide) to this date. That would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks a bunch everyone, your effort and time is greatly appreciated. Take it easy, and God Bless. Later Days....... =P

My suggestion, though it's a little late, would be to get a download of the System Reference Document here. They contain nearly all the information from the PHB, DMG, and MM1 and a few other things. It's fully up to date for 3.5 and I believe includes the latest errata in the text.

If you do decide you want the hardbacks then this is a useful and portable backup.

A possible alternative to purchasing the hardcover rulebooks is to go to alt.binaries.e-book.frp (I think that's the name) newsgroup, request that someone post the book(s) you want, download and extract binaries to end up with a scanned .pdf version. However, some people consider this to be piracy...

Happy gaming,

Eric

Archived