Witcher... here we go again.

Domi

Games since then, such as Jade Empire or KotOR have given less options to the player for roleplaying the protagonists, which allows the writers more opportunities in developing charname's personality. Still, I'd argue that CHARNAME's personality in even these games is the most boring of any of the characters introduced in them.

I think that JE is pretty much perfect. It's my absolutely favorite game. It's really weird that I can't play it on my own. :thumbsup: But, yes, I think that JE is the game that strike the perfect balance.

And, no, I don't see the connection between the better writing for a protagonist and a fixed protagonist. S/he can be fixed, and the texts will still be boring.

Yes, a fixed protagonist can be written such that they are boring, but by defining a protagonist as a specific character in the story, one can more fully develop that character, pretty much as just another NPC in the story. You basically get to see the story through the eyes of this character, but you typically won't get multiple choices for dialogue, or have multiple endings to the story.

Or watch a movie? Or see a play, or etc. Its just another form of storytelling and entertainment. Nothing wrong with prefering books (I do much of the time), but I also enjoy the occasional alternative storytelling method RPG.

Another good example of alternative story telling methods, would be the MYST series of games. In these games, the protagonist is largely irrelevant and most of the story is told through the player's observations of the game world around them and not through explicit exposition, dialogue, or narration. Its a refreshing change at times, and you can get a suprising amount out of your observations, recordings and contemplation of what you encounter in the game world.

Mhm. Nice discussion.

Witcher is polish product :-) And as Salk said, it's fully inspired by A. Sapkowski's books. It's not an a replay of books story, we can say that it's prequel (because in last part of Witcher saga, Geralt [main hero of book and game] was slayed).

What about a main char... Domi is really angry ;-) Earlier CDP Red planned to give for players possibility of playing with any character - woman/men, races, classes etc. But they have changed it. And I think was good decision.

If I can compare Geralt to someone... hm. He's extremely cynical, also - he's not normal man. He's mutant prepared to fight against monsters. Most of witchers (title of this "social" group) haven't got ANY emotions - they're more like a golems than humans. But Geralt is other. He have got emotions. He can love. He can feel friendship. Etc.

Ouch, I haven't got too much time now - I will write more later, ok? ;-) If you have got any questions about that - ask.

Earlier CDP Red planned to give for players possibility of playing with any character - woman/men, races, classes etc. But they have changed it. And I think was good decision.

And I think it sucked. The main character from a couple of quotes someone provided sounded like a Conan wannable, and he is unfamiliar to the most of the targeted audience. But it's not even an argument for me. No character creation, no female PC = don't even try to sell the game to me. ANd, yeah, I killed half a day arguing about it, so that doesn't make me any happier. (Goes away looking dark and scary).

Not every game produced can make everybody happy.

PS:T had a memorable plot and very good interactions. Despite its poor gameplay, it's been widely praised by practically all who played it (but perhaps they were only men). The involvment in the story grew on you in a way for me similar to another masterpiece in this respect (again penalized by an awful gameplay): Vagrant Story (guess what? In this game too you play with a pregenerated character).

Note: I also prefer to create and customize my own alter-ego if given the chance.

If you have such a strict policy about how a CRPG should be, by all means stick to it but it's just your opinion and not the rule for how to make a good CRPG.

As you claim the right of modders to create what they wish, the same goes for software developers.

You don't like what they created, you don't buy it.

Simple as that.

Me, I have the feeling it's going to be an interesting game.

By the way, there was no female witchers in the books.

The first and only girl, who became a witcher was one of the main characters in the book. And because the game is prequel to book, I don't think that she will be related to the plot of the game.

So, it's the trait of the setting; like there can be no male hathrans in FR and bioware has nothing to do with it.

I'm more bothered about the simple fact that his books suck. They could have built upon that world and release a good game, I suppose(especially since Bioware seems to advertise it on their site; but then again, Bioware advertises many things), but I doubt it, somehow.

Another good example of alternative story telling methods, would be the MYST series of games. In these games, the protagonist is largely irrelevant and most of the story is told through the player's observations of the game world around them and not through explicit exposition, dialogue, or narration. Its a refreshing change at times, and you can get a suprising amount out of your observations, recordings and contemplation of what you encounter in the game world.

It was wonderful. I was roleplaying a female(in a long white dress, which is probably irrelevant, but it was a nice detail to imagine it swishing around on the rocks and pipes and ladders; or flowers in Exile), and it was one of the best role-playing experiences in my life.

PS:T had a memorable plot and very good interactions. Despite its poor gameplay, it's been widely praised by practically all who played it (but perhaps they were only men).

Well, I'm female and I liked PS:T very much. :thumbsup:

I don't think it would be as interesting and fun to play if it didn't have the Nameless One as protagonist.

I think there are actually much more games available where the player is pigeon-holed into a predefined character, than where you create your own protagonist. That is why it's particulary annoying when someone licences out the engine perfectly capable of handling the user-created protagonist and brow-beat it into making yet another one of the fixed male protagonist games, that are dime a dozen. Bleh. And judging from the quotes provided, the books do suck, lol, and the character is horrible.

And ye PS:T lovers, you are talking to a person who once tried to rebuild PS:T for a female NO, but gave up, because she didn't like the game much and the gorram graphics.

Archived