ConTEXT to turn into shareware or worse?

the bigg

Ms. Kirin hasn't been able to do much on it the past few years, so I guess it is understandable, but it is a shame.

I know I have moved over to other (some non-free, some free) products, but ConTEXT is still the default highlighter/open for .d and .baf on my machine.

Heh. I don't use M$ Word for anything. I'm too fond of my ' and " and ... to want to go there, and I haven't figured out how to switch that feature off. Yeah, it means that I can't use M$ Word's "superior" spell-checker, but my spelling isn't that bad.

I like Crimson Editor. It's free, it's easy to install, easy to use, and I know the guy that did the WeiDU highlighters for it. :thumbsup:

I'll take a look at NotePad++ - it looks like the changes necessary for syntax highlighting are a matter of copying and pasting keywords lists (no biggie - even my feeble brain can handle that :thumbsup: ).

eric - vim? I followed the link, but is this one a programmers editor? If it is, again, throwing together keyword highlighters is a matter of cut and paste, and we can build a resource page very quickly.

I still hold out hope that someone will buy ConTEXT and keep it free, but then again, if I had to start someone out I would tell them to buy TextPad and WildEdit, and download the free WinMerge for finding and merging changes between working and master copies of the mod.

(P.S. looking at L1NPCs, I noticed some missing keywords, so I suspect it is a good idea to take a look and see if everything finally got added to the highlighters. Even if only one or two people use them, that's fine by me. )

(P.P.S. - I just saw the QuickText plugin - I think I will play with that this weekend - that looks like a quick way to instantly sketch out code... cool. And this thing converst numerical systems, and does all sorts of inyeresting stuff - I am checking on column edit and fiinding in files within a subdirectory, but this is a pretty nifty program - Notepad++ looks really good.)

eric - vim? I followed the link, but is this one a programmers editor? If it is, again, throwing together keyword highlighters is a matter of cut and paste, and we can build a resource page very quickly.

It isn't that easy - you have to build a lexer/parser for syntax highlighting in vim, rather than copying/pasting the highlighter from EG. Context. As an example, the ConTEXT highlighter for OCaml is 2.5KB, whereas the vim one is 13 KB.

Besides, vim has a worse learning curve than IA for a first time RPG gamer :thumbsup:

Are you talking about notepad or wordpad.

If you've been using wordpad and pasting into context then it's probably wordpad's fault and not context.

Context has never had any issues for me, it's column and line reference is great! You can always tell where you are to resolve those weidu errors.

I guess most good text editors have that but I prefer context.

It's called "Editor" and you find it under "accessories". i didn't copy and paste, I typed into conTEXT, and it didn't do the line break, and for the cases where the line break occurred correctly, there was an extra line-break in the game which looked really odd.

With "Editor", whatever it is called, if you switch off "line break", you have the option to "jump to line...", and that is enough for debugging using the line number WeiDU installer gives for an install error.

Archived