Amaurea's Portrait Mod

Amaurea

Ajantis is just gorgeous! I always disliked his BG1 portrait. He looks so much more "real" now and so dashing and cute! I think I'm in love!

I think jastey's going to have to work double time on the mod now. I know I want to play with him. So to speak. :)

These look great, and the vaguely familiar feel that some of them give me is quite intriguing. However, I do have a couple of nitpicks. :)

Viconia 1.2 looks amazing (:)), but I prefer my drow skin tones to be pure black. If you could do an edit of this, it would make me extremely happy. Of the other portraits, I can easily see myself using all of them except Edwin's (his nose seems a bit strange) and perhaps Cernd's (he seems a bit lifeless).

Again, you're doing an amazing (and surprisingly speedy) job, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the BG1 characters.

I'll tweak Edwin and Cernd ... you have raised valid points and I appreciate the input.

I've gone over Viconia again and darkened her up a bit for you, but I'm afraid to take her any darker than where I have her now. I have a fairly bright laptop, and I'm just at the edge of losing her features.

The vaguely familiar feeling is because they are morphs of celebrities. So, say, Keldorn might look sort of like George Clooney, but not quite, because he's morphed with George Lucas. A very few are not morphs, though. Viconia 1.1 and 1.12 are just Jessica Beal edited, for example.

Amaurea, head over here and get yourself a modder prefix. You will likely have to register to post, which is quite annoying. I'll use this prefix during packaging.

Also, you should put together a readme. At a minimum, it should include

• Author (do you want to use your screen name or your legal name or something else)
  • Contact info - usually an email address, although it's also nice to provide a link to the webpages that feature these portraits
  • Version number
  • Languages supported
  • Platforms
  • Overview: what does this mod do?
  • Compatibility (probably won't be an issue, since it's a portrait mod)
  • (I'll take care of writing up the installation instructions, if you want)
  • Contents (this is where thumbnails of all the portraits go, so that the player can see what he's installing - you can use the 38x60 ones)
  • Acknowlegments, if desired
  • Tools used
  • Credits and copyright info: I use "This mod may not be sold, published, compiled or redistributed in any form without the consent of its author. Gavin is ©2006, 2007 berelinde." It occurs to me that I should probably change that to my legal name.
  • Version history
  • Additional legal disclaimers, if desired, like disassociating the mod with BioWare, etc.

You can always use an existing mod readme as a template. Either txt or html format is fine.

One minor quibble I have with the Cernd portrait, is that the face paint appears to be a photoshopped element that has been sprayed on, and not actual paint that has been applied and then faded. I'm not sure how you'd fix this, but that was my feeling. The same is true for the three lines on Haer'Dalis' chin.

Also, any chance on some other possible interpretations of Minsc? He appears to be a bit too fresh faced in his portrait to me.

One minor quibble I have with the Cernd portrait, is that the face paint appears to be a photoshopped element that has been sprayed on, and not actual paint that has been applied and then faded. I'm not sure how you'd fix this, but that was my feeling. The same is true for the three lines on Haer'Dalis' chin.

Also, any chance on some other possible interpretations of Minsc? He appears to be a bit too fresh faced in his portrait to me.

I know what you mean about the photoshopped effect, but ... all of this started because I couldn't see any facial details on the characters' faces while playing the game. So, when I started making the pictures for myself, I made the faces larger, and exaggerated some details so they'd be visible on the smaller in-game images. I'd encourage you to try playing with those pictures, and see if you're still unhappy with them.

As for Minsc, I could try for you. He was hard to find an image for. I always had trouble matching his Bioware image to his backstory of being on his dajemma. I imagined him to be younger because of that, and somewhat innocent looking because of his Minscy outlook on things. Boo, on the other hand, has a face that shows the wisdom of the ages... :)

Amaurea, head over here and get yourself a modder prefix. You will likely have to register to post, which is quite annoying. I'll use this prefix during packaging.

Also, you should put together a readme. At a minimum, it should include

• Author (do you want to use your screen name or your legal name or something else)
  • Contact info - usually an email address, although it's also nice to provide a link to the webpages that feature these portraits
  • Version number
  • Languages supported
  • Platforms
  • Overview: what does this mod do?
  • Compatibility (probably won't be an issue, since it's a portrait mod)
  • (I'll take care of writing up the installation instructions, if you want)
  • Contents (this is where thumbnails of all the portraits go, so that the player can see what he's installing - you can use the 38x60 ones)
  • Acknowlegments, if desired
  • Tools used
  • Credits and copyright info: I use "This mod may not be sold, published, compiled or redistributed in any form without the consent of its author. Gavin is ©2006, 2007 berelinde." It occurs to me that I should probably change that to my legal name.
  • Version history
  • Additional legal disclaimers, if desired, like disassociating the mod with BioWare, etc.

You can always use an existing mod readme as a template. Either txt or html format is fine.

Okay, I signed up and put in for a prefix. One that should be REALLY easy for you to work with, given what you're used to :)

Since the mod is going to be here, do you think it would be a good idea for me to build a gallery with the images?

Check your PMs. By the way, just plain AM works. I'd advise against any prefix that includes a !, as it makes certain aspects of modding inconvenient. Who knows? One day, you might get into modding dialogues, in which case, it's a pain to have a ! in your prefix.

I'll tweak Edwin and Cernd ... you have raised valid points and I appreciate the input.

I've gone over Viconia again and darkened her up a bit for you, but I'm afraid to take her any darker than where I have her now. I have a fairly bright laptop, and I'm just at the edge of losing her features.

Much thanks. Edwin's new nose is a big improvement, and Cernd seems to have lost that dopiness I associated with him, though I have to agree with Caedwyr about his face paint/tattoos. As far as Viconia, I was thinking more along these lines: Link

Mike1072, that's very nice, but I prefer the richer balance of blues and browns in her darker skin coloring. It has a certain translucence to it. It makes me think that there is red blood flowing beneath her skin. Nevertheless, it's Amaurea's call. There's no reason not to add another Viconia edit, if she wants it.

Speaking of adding another, Amaurea, I was wondering how you would feel about adding the third portrait down from the top on page one as a possible Valygar alternate? I know, Valygar is usually presented as dark, and I can't stop drooling over the pic you did especially for him, but there's something about the guy with the three day beard and katana that underlines Valygar's subtle, dry humor.

Edit: the question mark is a punctuation mark I may never master.

Mike1072, that's very nice, but I prefer the richer balance of blues and browns in her darker skin coloring. It has a certain translucence to it. It makes me think that there is red blood flowing beneath her skin. Nevertheless, it's Amaurea's call. There's no reason not to add another Viconia edit, if she wants it.

I agree with Berelinde, but I do think that Mike's version would be of interest to some players, so sure, it's no problem to add that in there as well.

Mike, out of curiosity, what sort of edit did you do?

Speaking of adding another, Amaurea, I was wondering how you would feel about adding the third portrait down from the top on page one as a possible Valygar alternate? I know, Valygar is usually presented as dark, and I can't stop drooling over the pic you did especially for him, but there's something about the guy with the three day beard and katana that underlines Valygar's subtle, dry humor.

Edit: the question mark is a punctuation mark I may never master.

Hmmm... I like the stubble and katana bit, but I always think of Valygar as a bit more intense than Mr. 3 on page 1. Let me do another Val, though. I like the idea of adding another choice for him.

Wow on the new additions! :)

Keldorn's got a sexy, bearded George Cloony look. Nice.

Valygar...Yum.. and Ajantis(modeled after one of my fav. actors)....Yum! :)

Branwen looks so much better than her default pic.

I really like the picture of Coran. In my first game of BG1 I couldn't bring myself to keep him in the party primarily because of his horrible portrait.

Archived