Athkatla Mercenary Guild

theacefes

so this mercenary guild it will send you to go out and mop the floors with the buttocks of the other mercenary groups that well dont have much purpose other than a bit of EXP and some items?

Erm, no..actually it has nothing to do with the other small mercenary groups in BG2.

All new "original" quests and NPCs...I might expand on some of the exisiting NPCs but killing the other mercenary groups wasn't on the agenda.

Well, I was playing Morrowind a few weeks back and I thought to myself, "Wow, I wish the guild idea had been implemented in BG2."

So...I decided to begin construction of a mod that would add an all class mercenary guild to Athkatla. Basically, based on your class and level, you could choose from a number of quests to perform and get rewarded based on how you carry them out.

Of course, quests are not restricted to class, though they may be designed with a class in mind, but don't expect the reward to be as high if you are not that particular class. The guild quests will be an alternate way to raise money to pay Aran or Bodhi and also to just have some extra spending gold and XP.

Anyway...there it is! :thumbsup:

Good idea!

I faintly remember this about Morrowind, so long since I played it last.

IIRC, the small shack attached to the north and east side of the Shadow Thieves guild house is used by both "the lich in the dock" mod component and also by the Fade mod. The house attached to the west side of the soldiers' barracks in the Docks is used at some point for a paladin quest. As noted in an earlier post, Blucher's extended thief stronghold mod uses the soldiers' barracks. I don't remember/know if any mod was using the house on the second floor between MaeVar's place and Cromwell's shop. I do remember that the subcomponent of one of the mods places a lady outside of the house who is looking for her lost child in the Docks area.

I don't remember any unused places in the Temple District. The Guarded Compound is used in a component of the Tactics mod and Plimico(sp-?) is part of Korgan's plot.

John

I don't remember/know if any mod was using the house on the second floor between MaeVar's place and Cromwell's shop. I do remember that the subcomponent of one of the mods places a lady outside of the house who is looking for her lost child in the Docks area.

yeh i cant think of a mod that uses that building, although it is only small, and yeh that lady is outside, definitely not in it.

Have re-brainstormed a few things and have decided to use the back of the Adventurers...um...store (forget what its called), as well as a few other places. I won't give them their own building I think, but rather have agents stationed in different building that are more likely to attract adventurers.

I know you have thrown the idea of giving them a building, but the building where you get the horn of Valhalla is also used in Fade's mod. It's Aran Linvail's mom house. If you wanted to go back to the idea of an empty house, there are a few doors in the game that don't lead to anywhere, just as the forgotten door in the Government disctrict which is closed and you cannot open (near Anomen's house). You could add a new indoor area there or use any of the lesser taverns as their headquarter, for example the Five Flagons inn (upstairs), or the House in Trademeet (after you killed the Rakshasha or the inn of the Limited wish quest. There are plenty of empty space here and there which don't conflict with any mod.

I've just remembered that the Guarded compound is used later in Fade's mod too.

This is an interesting idea and will refresh this game again. Good luck.

@ CoM_: There may be a few Fed Ex quests, however you would be doing them for the client, not for the guild itself.

@ Guest: Thank you!

What about the Trademeet Mercenary Guild? Trademeet is a lot less crowded mod wise than Athkatla and it would give the PC some more to do in Trademeet and the surrounding contryside! On the other hand Athkatla is a far larger city and offers a lot more scope for urban quests... All in all this mod idea sounds like a lot of fun regardless of where it is based.

-Starcrunch

Guest EarthquakeDamage

One particular mod (not sure at the moment which one; features a Hammer Bros. encounter in the sewers) adds an extra inn to the slums by adding an area transition to an unused doorway facing north. There are several of those in the slums.

You could probably add a side street to one of the districts using the random city encounter map as a base. Just need to make sure the player knows the transition's there to be used.

Just another 2 cents here, but the Amber mod has an item that acts as a map for use in a specific district in Athkatla that essentially transports your party to a location on one of the side streets of the city. I thought that was a clever way in-game to get around the problem of finding an unused spot of real estate.

Who knows, maybe Bayle could give the party a map with the directions to your guild in addition to whatever info Brus supplies because Bayle considers the party challenged to find an out of the way building :)

Looking forward to seeing your mod when it's ready.

John

Archived