What's in a name?

icelus

In PMs or mails, I don't mind being called by my real name; in a forum, I prefer being adressed with the nickname I go by there (which, inventive as I am, is often some kind of variation of my real name).

I've seen my real name used in posts a couple of times in a public forum. I wasn't overly thrilled by it and if I had had the power, I would have changed it; not because I'm afraid somebody might recognise me, but because the person who used it was a total asshole.

I try to avoid using people's real names in public forums, because you never know if they like it or not.

Heh, I am a consummate alias collector. I have very little of rogue in me - at least I have troubles picking a lock with its key - but if it wasn't frowned upon, I'd be switching aliases whenever mood strikes me :) And yeah, I do have a real name, and it's exceptionally boring. I don't care though what anyone calls me where, as long as I know that the message is addressed to me.

Heh, I am a consummate alias collector.

No kidding, it took me quite a while to figure out that Domi, Domi_Ash (almost never logged in), Baronius, AshsomethingIforget, Merlinda (sp?) and probabaly a multitude more were all the same person.

Now that I would call scary..

As I said, in public I avoid real names. Actually it's this way: If someone tells me their real name, I feel like I can use it under the circumstances it was given. I.e., if someone signs a PM with his/her real name, I might address him/her with the real name in the next PM, but not in a forum. If it's presented in a hidden forum, I would feel free to use it there, but not in public.

This would be my preferred method. The same goes for IRC, MSN etc. If I'm logged on under a psuedonym I don't want people calling me by other names...unless they happen to be insulting me...then it's okay.

No kidding, it took me quite a while to figure out that Domi, Domi_Ash (almost never logged in), Baronius, AshsomethingIforget, Merlinda (sp?) and probabaly a multitude more were all the same person.

:) Though, I think it's better not to tease The Only One Who is Not Me on that list. Actually, there are a couple of places, where I managed to snatch Deheriana before anyone else did! I also used Tony, Dominica, Ginafae....

Guest jastey*
I don't care though what anyone calls me where, as long as I know that the message is addressed to me.
Reading the list of your aliases (the ones I guess are serious), I am not sure I know always that I am adressing a remark towards you, though. :)
Reading the list of your aliases (the ones I guess are serious), I am not sure I know always that I am adressing a remark towards you, though.

It's a drawback, yeah, but then again, you can always catch me here :)

And I like changing my sigs too... Actually, seeing I just finished the Red Seas, I should update it now. Woo-hoo!

Archived