Auren Aseph's name changed to line of dialog?

ericp07

Hello,

After several escalating problems with the Mac OS X version of BGII - SoA/ToB with various game and NPC mods installed, I've had to completely reinstall the game and all the mods I've used. I first installed the game mods, then the NPC mods. For some reason, Auren Aseph's name has changed to a line of text that you'd imagine her to speak, directed at the protagonist. Reinstalling her mod has no effect on this.

What might cause such behavior? I've been trying to recall which mod(s) I installed just before having problems with the game, but I have so many that I fear the only way to find out is to start again with a clean installation, then try one mod at a time, backing up the entire game directory with contents each time. Joy...

Any troubleshooting help or hints would be greatly appreciated! There's also a problem now with Kivan, as his response to commands is to deliver lines of dialog that have to do with Imoen's predicament (but I'm only in Chapter Two right now), for example offering her some gold, even though she's not in the party. Clearly, some other game file has become corrupted. I had gotten all the NPCs to work properly, and figured out that I need to manually convert some sound files in order for them to work properly...and now this?! *Sigh*

Please help, if anyone is able and willing.

Happy gaming,

Eric

Use string fixers on Auren and Kivan. With Kivan, tell him he sounds strange(click on him and tell him so). With Auren, read her readme - there should be a recommendation/hot key/something.

(For example, with Xan and Kelsey and Keto you select them, then press K key).

It usually happens after you install/re-install some mods and open an old savegame. It works perfectly in most cases; you just need to use string fixers for each custom NPC, so their soundsets/names work normally again. Each mod's Readme has this essential information.

OK, Kivan coughed, and now I think he's fixed. This is indeed a case where I'm opening old games from mpsave after reinstalling everything, as I added the mpsave folder with saved games after the install.

Haven't seen anything helpful in Auren's documentation, but I'll see if the same method will work for her and for Yasraena. These three are the only mod NPCs in my party.

Thanks,

Eric

I told Yas that something was wrong with her, and she fixed herself :) Auren Aseph, OTOH, has nothing to say to me...so no fix for her yet.

It gets worse: now I'm unable to invoke the CLUAConsole! I've never encountered that problem before, and don't know what to do to solve it.

There has to be a mod to blame, although I'm not sure which one would have messed up which file (and I suspect that a single file somewhere is the source of these problems). Any additional clues will be most welcome :)

Thanks,

Eric

Archived