Interesting

Caedwyr

Security guards can arrest people in the US? And you can get charged for resisting them?

And, most of all, cake? You can get arrested and injured for attempting to clean up spilled birthday cake? The only way this will turn out well is if the judge dismisses the charges and hauls the guards up onto the coals.

Security guards can arrest people in the US? And you can get charged for resisting them?

And, most of all, cake? You can get arrested and injured for attempting to clean up spilled birthday cake? The only way this will turn out well is if the judge dismisses the charges and hauls the guards up onto the coals.

Any mentally competent citizen can arrest anyone else, and it's called a citizen's arrest. It's intended to protect boy-scout types who step in to detain actual criminals, like someone who just mugged someone else, just like "good samaritan laws" protect people who render medical aid to others in good faith, even if they don't have medical training. As long as the person doing it is acting in good faith, within the scope of whatever training he or she might possess, he or she cannot be penalized for the outcome.

The functional part of that last sentence is "within the scope of whatever training he or she might possess." I cannot imagine that security guards have not been taught the difference between accidental littering and a real crime, like assaulting another student.

Also, the girl's mother can file counter charges. Since the security guard used force to detain the girl, he will have to justify his use of that force if the mother does file charges. If it were my kid, I'd also challenge the mental competency of the security guard.

Not be the devil's advocate here but I think that story is very misleading. Notice we only see the guard pinning the girl down, but none of her story of complying with the guard three times is in there.

I remember seeing stuff like this (not to this extreme) happen at my high school (I live in SoCal, though the location shouldn't make a difference, we have outdoor campuses and on campus security guards). A kid would be doing something against the rules, and would usually mock or taunt the security and sometimes would even threaten them or other students. A few even attacked the guards.

Sure, the guard was extremely in the wrong to injure her; that sort of force should never be necessary unless the student is armed or is a real threat to the students at the school. Those security guards aren't just there to look mean and hurt kids, jerks as they may seem.

I was reading an article in the newspaper concering this...on the opinion page sent in by a reader.

It disturbs me when people automatically point fingers at prejudices such as racism, sexism, etc etc. In today's world, that sort of encouragement of the press to use prejudices such as that really holds America back and it's downright embarassing to be a part of a country where the media endorses fear over petty differences.

Anyway, I would avoid assuming that the poor teenager was completely wronged by the big mean security guard before knowing all the facts, and not the testimonies given by just one party.

Though I would be interested if somone could find more quotes or footage from the incident, in case I'm way off.

Ah, the race issue. :)

It is true that the story does not have any quotes from the guard as to what happened, so perhaps she did do something else to provoke the guard. Physical restraint still seems fairly excessive for littering or taunting.

My guess, based on what I saw at my high school, is that words were exchanged between the guard and the group of students. The girl had most likely been in trouble before, and the guard probably knew who she was. Physical actions were probably exchanged on BOTH sides.

I mean, how likely does this seem:

Girl: Yay cake! *throws*

Guard: Pick it up.

Girl: Okay sure.

Guard: Pick it up

Girl: I said ok.

Guard: Pick it up

Girl: I said ok *picks up cake*

Guard: RARW!!!!!1111 *attacks girls, pins her on table and breaks her wrist*

Everyone associated with girl: OMG INJUSTICE.

School Administration: Geez, that sucks. Okay, guard, you get PAID VACATION.

Honestly....

Archived