Custom specific.ids entries

Azkyroth

While browsing the IESDP I found the following information in their entry on the BG2 "specific.ids" file:

The file is extensible, and new entries can be added for example, adding 55 MYSPECIFIC will allow MYSPECIFIC to be used in scripts.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, it means that I could create a special entry (possibly two or three) for characters in my mod that need to be handled in a slightly different way by certain spells and scripts. This would be enormously useful. However, I'm a bit concerned about possible compatibility issues, since while it would be simple to add an entry to specific.ids via the TP2, if another mod is already using that entry it might be overwritten, which could potentially cause problems. To aid me in selecting numbers for any specific.ids entries I add with Arkalian, if anyone knows of any mods that presently add new, custom specific.ids entries, I'd appreciate the names and, if possible, the numbers of the values they add.

(Note: question posted at SHS, G3, and PPG for maximum exposure.)

the most logical way would be to count 2da rows (lets say n) and add your entry with (100+n) number. If anyone would use such system it would be prefectly compatible. Even without it, nn the worst case entry will not be overwritten but duplicated instead, which will lead to other mod's creatures be catched by your scripts. I'd say it's slight incompatibility.

the most logical way would be to count 2da rows (lets say n) and add your entry with (100+n) number. If anyone would use such system it would be prefectly compatible. Even without it, nn the worst case entry will not be overwritten but duplicated instead, which will lead to other mod's creatures be catched by your scripts. I'd say it's slight incompatibility.

2DA rows? Err...I wasn't aware there was a corresponding specific.2da. In fact, I'm not seeing one in the original game files. What am I missing?

Archived