DLTCEP Requests Thread

Galactygon

Guest Maighstir
It is a file, and normally goes to the same directory you installed DLTCEP in.

At least on XP.

Vista sux.

I would test this on Windows 7 first, if that works, then lets forget Vista.

Windows 7 still requires admin privileges to allow writing to Program Files and its subfolders, it's basically the same as Vista other than any changes that may be required to fully support the new taskbar.

Some apps write to <userdir>\AppData\(Roaming|Local)\<appname>\, some others write to <systemdrive>:\ProgramData\<appname>\, the latter for apps that use the same settings no matter which user is logged in, and the former depends on the user (of course). I have no idea how the system decides where to put files from each app, but there's probably some function among the Windows APIs.

I have no real programing knowledge, and don't know where to find information on the relevant API's, I'd guess msdn is one place to look. Maybe the trick is to use API-provided constants instead of hardcoding paths, maybe you need to call some function to know where you're allowed to write, I dunno, these are just layman ideas.

Guest Maighstir

Update on the last post: the first of those paths is the environment variable %APPDATA%, which is present on earlier Windows' as well and seems like a sensible choice to use (though is only affects the active user). The latter, %ProgramData%, does not exist on my VMWare installation of Windows XP.

I must say that editing area overleys is the real pain in the butt. I'd like to see the feature of making overleys by drawing the polygon and filling it with overley, much like in IEEP (but IEEP itself cannot do it). Is it possible to do something about it?

If you draw a polygon (as wallgroup) then click on 'make overlay' then it does this.

It is in dltcep for a long long time.

Thank you, I didn't know that. How to draw a wallgroup then? All I've got is repeated "Cannot load TIS" error when I tried to do anything with a polygon.

Guest Maighstir
I'm curious if it (%Appdata%) exists on Win98 too, because i heard requests about Win98.

Windows (as a whole) is more diverse than linux.

It doesn't exist in my Win98 VM at least, I'd guess it's only defined by default on Win2000 and up (probably not Me, since it's not NT but an upgrade from 98). You could check wether it's an NT based Windows or a DOS based one, I guess (there's got to be some function to check the version), then use %APPDATA%\DLTCEP on the former and the install directory on the latter.

That's strange, i get those only if i don't have a tileset ???

Does that area work in game?

Yes, it works in game. Area was made in the IE Tileset Map Editor, and all files are present (ARE, MOS, WED, TIS). It's strange, that all original maps from the game works just fine, the error occured only with the custom made areas :p

That's strange, i get those only if i don't have a tileset ???

Does that area work in game?

Yes, it works in game. Area was made in the IE Tileset Map Editor, and all files are present (ARE, MOS, WED, TIS). It's strange, that all original maps from the game works just fine, the error occured only with the custom made areas :p

Did you make the tileset with DLTCEP?

Probably post the whole process how you made it.

[edit]

Ahh you wrote, you used IETME. It is really odd. Especially that the original engine didn't choke on it :D

The only idea is that IETME doesn't use 'TIS V1 ' in the tileset header.

Or maybe some field in the header isn't filled correctly.

These fields are mostly of symbolic value, because biffed tilesets don't have any of these.

But i use them for extracted tilesets.

http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/file_formats...mats/tis_v1.htm

Guest maighstir
Windows 7 will have an embedded XP, if my information is correct.

Vista is simply crap, one should either upgrade to XP or Windows 7.

So, well, i'm lazy ???

Or, i just don't want to buy another Windows to test this.

If you make it fully compatible with 7, Vista will work perfectly as well.

Only Professional and Ultimate will have XP Mode available (ie. no Home), and then only on CPUs supporting hardware-assisted virtualisation (namely Intel VT-x and AMD-V).

Additionally, XP Mode is really just a version of MS Virtual PC with a similar function to like VMWare's Unity (possibility to have the VM run rootless, so its windows mix with those of the host OS), the added requirement of hardware-based virtualisation, and (I think, don't quote me on this) the possibility of having shortcuts on the host pointing to applications inside the VM so you won't have to manually open the VM before running applications inside it.

Yes, it works in game. Area was made in the IE Tileset Map Editor, and all files are present (ARE, MOS, WED, TIS). It's strange, that all original maps from the game works just fine, the error occured only with the custom made areas ???

Okay, I tried it: You have to have the TIS file in the override or a BIF of the configured game, otherwise DLTCEP is not happy. But if it loads fine in the game, it should load okay in DLTCEP? IETME output works fine for me in that situation, once I copied the TIS file into the game directories.

It worked! ??? Apparently, the fuzzie fellow here was right - the TIS file MUST be in the override folder when the DLTCEP starts up, otherwise it can't find the file. I take it that the program always look for corresponding files in the override folder, not in the current system folder (the ARE file location).

Archived