Druid Spell mods

Ayce

Also, just wanted to throw some other ideas out there, I currently have several modded druid spells in my game. As I've said before, I really don't like all of the overlap between druid and cleric and have been working on making both classes more distinct, for now, I just self-police myself in not using spells I don't think either class should have.............

Anyway, if I remove all the spells from druid's that I think should be removed from druid scrolls (bless, armor of faith negative plane protection, defensive harmony, etc), their repetoire does get pretty thin, so I've spruced them up with these.......

These include slumber (sleep), dire charm, cat's grace, glitterdust (seems a very fairie spell to me), moonray (bless, single target only), web, bear strength (I really need a better bam for it), cheetah speed (haste).

As you can see, several of these spells are simply borrowed from mage spells, but I dunno, I felt all of these had a place in a druid's spell repetoire (more so than a lot of those redundant cleric spells), especially in order to make clerics and druids more distinct, so I modded them and they all work to the best of my knowledge. I did reassign a lot of bams and set different parameters on some of them to make more "druidy."

I also thought Wyvern Call would be a fitting spell for a shadow druid like Faldorn, not that I'm playing a shadow druid (which would be a cute kit idea).

I also gave Cernd some Ice spells (druid version of Cone of Cold and Ice Storm), since he is from the north (as I did for druids in my IWD games). Incidentally, I didn't give him some of the more fairie-type spells I thought were more appropriate for Jaherira.

I'm happy to share these if you're interested in throwing any of these into the mix, no pun intended.

Be advised, they are currently in TBG format as I know nothing about Weidu and scripting.

Sounds interesting. Can you post or upload the file?

As I said, they are currently in individual spl/itm/tbg format. You would need IEEP to import the individual tbg files (the itm files are the cermonial wreaths you use to learn the spells). The other option would be to upload them in spl/itm format with accompanying txt files you would use to import the textx into the game yourself.

The ceremonial wreaths are like "priestly candles of knowledge" which are like spell scrolls (you "use" them to learn a spell). An inadvertant side effect of this is that you get experience (1000xp/level, just as a mage spell) for learning the druid spells.

Regarding thorn spray and static charge (and other nifty druid spells from IWD), refer to this post http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=11706

Unfortunately, no way has been found to transfer the IWD spell graphics to BG2 as yet, one still hopes someday........................

Still, the spell mods mentioned above (and several others) do work. :)

I have no idea how to construct a weidu.exe bundle (I never liked having to take all or nothing of mod, though some mods now allow component choices now), but if someone wanted to do that with my work, I certainly have no problem with that.

As for uploading or posting them, I have no webspace to host the files. If someone can provide me with that, I'm happy to upload. Barring that, I can WinZip these files and send them off to whoever wants them.

I'll PM you with my e-mail. I can't guarantee I'll get around to making a WeiDU installer for it, but I can look at it at least, and host it and put a link up if you want. Maybe the Divine Remix guys will consider including it in the next release, which is long overdue :).

Unfortunately, no way has been found to transfer the IWD spell graphics to BG2 as yet

Is it possible to make new spell graphics for BG2, in general?

Yes, as Galactygon has created a number for his Spell Pack. I believe Refinements did as well.

Believe me, I'll take any spell or graphic donations. :) However spheres won't be changing, I'm afraid.

Believe me, I'll take any spell or graphic donations. However spheres won't be changing, I'm afraid.

I'm fine with any modifications done to my original work as long I get credit for the source material. As I said, my priest spheres are much modified from standard 2E pnp rules along more intuitive lines (at least as I see it) and the sphere field in these custom spells reflect that, but I have no problem if you want to reassign their spheres to fit into your own mod.

Both, my pnp and IE modifications were made with the 1st edition druid in mind (remember how cure light wounds was a 1st level spell for clerics and a 2nd level spell for druids, etc.?). I felt the druid class suffered horribly under the 2e rules as many sphere assignments created a lot of odd/awkward fitting spell lists for clerics and druids that were never really intended for either class. My $.02 again.

Again, if anyone wants to weidu my druid bundle or incorporate it into Divine Remix and make whatever modifications they need to, I'm fine with that. I still have the original source material to use a I see fit.

Both, my pnp and IE modifications were made with the 1st edition druid in mind (remember how cure light wounds was a 1st level spell for clerics and a 2nd level spell for druids, etc.?). I felt the druid class suffered horribly under the 2e rules as many sphere assignments created a lot of odd/awkward fitting spell lists for clerics and druids that were never really intended for either class. My $.02 again.

I'm not sure if you know this already, but the spheres for both clerics and druids were revised and expanded in the mid-90's; the changes originated in issue #205 of Dragon Magazine, and became "official" in Player's Option - Spells & Magic. Divine Remix uses these newer spheres, rather than the ones from the Player's Handbook (also DR's paladin and ranger's gain access to more spheres than the do in pnp, because otherwise they would have an *extremely* small spell slection; if and when more spells get added to the relevant spheres, this may change).

I also thought Wyvern Call would be a fitting spell for a shadow druid like Faldorn, not that I'm playing a shadow druid (which would be a cute kit idea).
Didn't notice this earlier either. Avenger kit = shadow druid. Well it's supposed to be, anyway, and that's how BG1NPC interprets it (and probably how BG1 would've if they'd had the kit back then).

Also, I'm working on a WeiDU version of Ayce's ideas, which are pretty good from what I've seen so far. It might take a bit though since I've a couple other things to finish up and RL stuff, unless Ascension64 wants to step in and do it (he offered, but what with BGT and all, I thought I'd spare him this one). It'd be nice to include for v6 but Cam works a lot faster than I do, so probably not.

I'm not sure if you know this already, but the spheres for both clerics and druids were revised and expanded in the mid-90's; the changes originated in issue #205 of Dragon Magazine, and became "official" in Player's Option - Spells & Magic. Divine Remix uses these newer spheres, rather than the ones from the Player's Handbook (also DR's paladin and ranger's gain access to more spheres than the do in pnp, because otherwise they would have an *extremely* small spell slection; if and when more spells get added to the relevant spheres, this may change).

Yes and no, I remember that article and it was much better than what the 2e PHB proscribed. In point of fact, that article is what inspired me to begin creation of my own sphere system as described above. However, I didn't know that it made official in later works. Glad to know that. The 1st 2e PHB sucked, how can anyone think animal summoning and gate belong in the same sphere?

Anyway, I don't have the skill to set up priest spheres per divine remix, the application of spheres in my mod is strictly cosmetic/aesthetic. As I said, I have no problem with my custom spells being adapted for use in DR sphere system, I still have my original source material to incorporate into my own game (or not).

BTW, thanx Miloch, for you collaboration with this project. Peace out.

Archived