A few mod questions

Grand_Dracolich

I wasn't 100% sure if this should go here, but it seemed as good a place as any and certainly better than noobermeet. Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place.

I might make an NPC mod in the near future, and I have a few questions.

How easy is it to make a new NPC mod compared to other mods? How would I get my own in-production forum if I start something like that? Is there any IRC thing for G3? Are there any tutorials for Weidu and NPC modding for beginners?

And most importantly (since this'll be more a Colonel O'Neill-style comic relief-without-being-idiotic character), would the phrase "Sure, why not?" be Forgotten Realms-ish?

I wasn't 100% sure if this should go here, but it seemed as good a place as any and certainly better than noobermeet. Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place.

Looks OK to me, placement-wise.

How easy is it to make a new NPC mod compared to other mods?
You mean there are other kinds of mods? How novel!

Seriously, though, it's all what you want to put into it. For a basic, show up in the game, have a few laughs at the expense of BioWare NPCs, and maybe a scripted talk or two, it isn't all that tough. *But* that depends on the facility with which you adapt to the language.

If you intend to write a complex NPC with one or more quests, a romance, a friendship track, a unique kit, and custom items, well, it's going to be a whole lot tougher.

How would I get my own in-production forum if I start something like that?
That depends on the mod hosting site. Your best bet is to wait until you've got a big chunk of it written and coded and then start making inquiries.

Is there any IRC thing for G3?

Yes.

Are there any tutorials for Weidu and NPC modding for beginners?
Yes. Check the tutorials forums here or anywhere, and you'll find several.

And most importantly (since this'll be more a Colonel O'Neill-style comic relief-without-being-idiotic character), would the phrase "Sure, why not?" be Forgotten Realms-ish?
Why wouldn't it be?

As long as you stick to the same speech paterns consistently, you should be fine.

Generally, when I'm writing an NPC that I want to have a certain sound, I watch decent "period" films featuring that time period.

To me, Anomen sounds kind of late 18th, early19th century, but trying to sound medieval. So I wouldn't have him say "gotcha," but I wouldn't put Elizabethan English on his lips, either. I'd probably watch Horatio Hornblower, Sense and Sensibility, maybe read a bit of Victor Hugo and William Makepeace Thackery. I'd put Mozart on the car stereo on the way to work if I got stuck.

When I was writing Laran for RE, I wanted him to sound kind of 18th century, so I watched a lot of Horatio Hornblower, and the Last of the Mohicans, and stuck with that style. I listed to a good deal of J.S. Bach.

Right now, I'm writing a short series of encounters that I want to sound like Elizabethan English, so I'm watching Elizabeth, Much Ado about Nothing, Henry V, Hamlet, etc, and using that as a guide.

Writing for Imoen, I let her use modernisms, because she's a very modern girl.

Archived