Giving the Umber Hulks their proper gaze animation back

Upon doing a few test runs with Rogue Rebalancing and Sim's Quest Pack I noticed something interesting - QP gave the Umber Hulks a proper gaze animation! I'm not sure how Sim did this (possibly a projectile fix) but I really like it. :) In the unmodded game, the Umber Hulks seemingly "throw" their Confusion at the target (hand wave animation) instead of gazing straight into its eyes (Quest Pack fix).

Although this is a purely cosmetic issue it does improve the immersion a bit so, if Sim approves, I'd like to see this feature in the BG2 Fixpack as well.

Well, personally, I'd consider this a fix as Umber Hulks are not spellcasters and thus shouldn't have to use a casting animation for their Confusing Gaze. I just checked the Quest Pack .tp2 and the code is amazingly simple:

// Gaze attacks use correct projectiles
COPY_EXISTING ~spin784.spl~ ~override~ // SNAKE_GAZE 
		  ~spin839.spl~ ~override~ // HULK_CONFUSION 
		  ~spin883.spl~ ~override~ // VAMPIRE_DOMINATION 
READ_LONG 0x64 "abilityoffset"
WRITE_SHORT ("%abilityoffset%" + 38) 65 // sets projectile to GAZE.PRO
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

BTW, I also noticed that Sim fixed two other gaze attacks and I'd fully support their inclusion as well. For the record, this will only change the projectile animation of these abilities, it doesn't affect their casting time or any other factors. Also, note that the proper projectile animation (GAZE.PRO) already exists in the unmodded game, it was simply not assigned to these abilities.

' date='Oct 19 2007, 07:38 AM' post='102682']

Upon doing a few test runs with Rogue Rebalancing and Sim's Quest Pack I noticed something interesting - QP gave the Umber Hulks a proper gaze animation! I'm not sure how Sim did this (possibly a projectile fix) but I really like it. :help: In the unmodded game, the Umber Hulks seemingly "throw" their Confusion at the target (hand wave animation) instead of gazing straight into its eyes (Quest Pack fix).

Even with the changed projectile, I'm still getting hand waving.

Archived