BG2 spoiler - banter between Imoen and Gavin

berelinde

This is a really terrific dialog berelinde! And I also like the ring idea to establish pc's relationship to Gavin. That is very original.

And I like that you have a "hhok" (whatever that means) for a in progress game and still be committed. I have a bunch of started characters and take off from them usually so this will be useful for me. But then again I think I want to see the ring "options." Ah well it wouldn't be too much of a hardship to start a new game.

If committed I can't wait to see if my pc can drag Gavin off to an inn right away for some...getting reaquainted! :)

I have a feeling(okay, okay, I'm pretty sure :) ) one of the reasons for introducing the ring was the "And, incidentally, among other BG1->BG2 romances, my romance will be sealed first" factor. :)
It all comes from your own (great) idea about the "Player1 self-dialogue" upon seeing dead Ajantis in the Windspear Hills. Ajantis also has a ring dialogue, btw. It must be funny, with the installed mods the PC finding all those gold rings...

I like the spoiler dialogue also very much!

@Kulyok: Not even close.

I thought this would be obvious from the joining dialogue.

The variable that gets set is actually B!GavinEngaged, not B!GavinRomanceActive. B!GavinRomanceActive is the one that controls the commitment level, and that doesn't get set until the first rest after Gavin joins the party. Since Xan's gets set as part of his joining dialogue, he's got nothing to worry about.

Don't forget, the PC is likely quite angry with Gavin for leaving her in Baldur's Gate for months and months, so she may well decide to reevaluate their relationship. If she decides that she isn't in such a hurry to formalize her vows with Gavin after all, and might like to sample some of the other lovely males Athkatla offers, RA=1, not RA=2.

So no getting the jump on a committed relationship in Chateau Irenicus, thanks.

So no getting the jump on a committed relationship in Chateau Irenicus, thanks.
You can do that in the Ajantis forum. :)

berelinde: Great idea not to set the RA, even for engagement. I am not sure it would work for Ajantis romance concept, but I like the idea very much.

I decided to let the player decide in Irenicus Dungeon because I remember faintly discussions with a modder complaining about NPCs romancing an engaged PC. :)

I decided to let the player decide in Irenicus Dungeon because I remember faintly discussions with a modder complaining about NPCs romancing an engaged PC.

And we have a winner!

But absolutely. I think all three romances have different target audience(s), so the overlap's little to none - and Crossmod Romance Conflicts should take care of all the relevant kills, anyhow, even if there's no other crossmod material to be.

I finally realized why I felt uneasy about the banter: Imoen, doing exersize? I can picture her as the one lazing about and being the last to leave her bedroll, but, but... doing runs? Nooo.

Nope. She's just busting his chops when she says "Wanna race?", which is in character for her.

Gavin's the one who likes to exercise, and is feeling cruddy because he hasn't been getting enough of it. Imoen's naturally athletic, as a result of her early thief training (a slow thief doesn't have a lot of longevity), but she's no sprinter. Sprinters get their speed from sheer muscle mass, not dexterity, or even constitution. Gavin, strength 16, dexterity 12, constitution 16 is likely a better sprinter than Imoen, strength 9, dexterity 17 (or 18?), constitution 16. At distances over 400m, though, Imoen will beat Gavin, because she's quicker, lighter, has a better dex, and hasn't got strength 16 muscles demanding oxygen.

The very first BG1NPC Imoen/PC encounter about Gorion's death, she has dialogue paths that lead to a footrace with the PC to distract him. Dunno - I think I have to go with BGII Imoen as perfectly willing to do any amount of exercise, if it will a. distract her from the screaming in her head and b. remind her of herself.

But back onto my code question, the ring solves lots of stuff and makes sense. I do suggest that it be added to the other items found in the safe, with some script-based craetion, as I just can't see it avoiding being found during the ritual torture and continually being searched/experimented on for weeks (all of the NPCs are). No matter where Minsc put Boo. (yeeeech.)

I think it's a great idea to let the player decide just how committed they want to be after the transition to BG2 and either see if someone better comes along (without Gavin pouting) or welcome Gavin back with open arms. :)

I just hope that Gavin will have a bit more content in BG2 than he did in BG1, not only in total (because BG2 is longer, isn't it), but also in relation. I haven't played BG1 in an awfully long time, but as far as I remember, I had the impression that many of the banters and lovetalks consisted of very short one-liners (the "wedding" comes to my mind - more and longer reactions of NPCs like Jaheira would have been nice, it's such an important event in <Charname>'s life after all) and that there weren't as many flirt options as I would have liked (I'm totally addicted to player-initiated flirts). There were so many cute ideas and eastereggs (yes, I was cruel to him and got the other ring :)) that I just hoped the general banters and lovetalks were longer.

I have carefully avoided to read the "BIGGEST SPOILER OF ALL", but it looks quite lengthy which is great. :)

I'd so love to see more of Gavin, especially in SoA and the pain that is ToB!

No matter where Minsc put Boo. (yeeeech.)

There is no hope of ever separating Minsc and Boo. Boo is small and evasive, and there is ever so much of Minsc to search!

that cant be good.

but it/you do raise a point, you get stripped of every item you carry, wouldnt this include the ring, id imagine jailers taken anything they thought they could get some money for esp. jewelry. unless you code the item like imoen's belt or Edwins necklace, but then again if you wanted to remove the ring for whatever reason you wouldnt be able to.

It makes more sense in Irenicus' bedroom than in jailor golem's room: all other worthy possessions of the player are there(Helm of Balduran, Amulet of Metaspell Influence, etc). But given how many players prefer to skip the opening dungeon entirely, via Dungeon-Be-Gone or otherwise, sacrificing immersion for the sake of convenience seems reasonable. Especially since Bioware has done it with PC's golden pants already: these are being placed into the same safe.

Ack. We've had storms for a couple days, and I've been without internet, which seems to kick out every time there's a few clouds in the sky. (quietly fumes over the injustice of it)

Yeah, it might make more sense to either lose the ring entirely, because most other items get lost, or to put it in Irenicus's bedroom, but it's probably going to go the way of the pantaloons. And not all the PC's personal items wind up in Irenicus's bedroom, after all. The platemail +1 winds up on Illych, IIRC. I don't know if Irenicus would have sold/destroyed it, as it did bear a rather personal inscription, which might have puzzled him. But yeah, there's probably going to have to be some compromise between putting it somewhere logical and maintaining player convenience. So, if it's good enough for the pantaloons...

And thanks for the vote of confidence Evaine Dian. Will try not to disappoint! :)

I know this is kind of old, but authors always like comments on their stuff don't they? (I, being one myself, should know. :D )

I loved the Imoen/Gavin banter. Really loved it! Great work, Berelinde. You are a great writer... though we all knew that already, didn't we? I love Gavin's personallity, and Imoen's is perfect. Those two make a lovely fit. :)

Keep the good work up! I'm one of the people that can't wait to see Gavin BG2 come out. It's going to be a blast!

Archived