Level1NPCs Alpha Testing

cmorgan

Heh. Well what are we talking about modding NPCs for, this is the mod we've really been waiting for! How convenient, there's already a Polymorph into Rabbit effect. Or is that Polymorph into Rabbi?

Is the full plate on the rabbit there to protect him from the Unstoppable Munching? :)

I wanted to test some more, since I have to do some BG1 NPC recoding and testing anyway, but I'm afraid I cannot find the latest alpha link anywhere. Maybe adding it to the very first post is a good idea?

Okies, we have rudimentary effect correction as well as total effect conversion; seems to be working correctly (and I have to update the creature correcter again - not tonight).

Unfortunately I just wasted about two hours trying to figure out why fighter/mage/clerics were getting a correct proficiency selection rather than the wrong one that ships with ToB. The problem was of course me running the mod from the Tutu directory, where Macready has already fixed this :)

Yesterday was my last day of leave from work, but I'll try to get the new version up today. If not, tomorrow, and sorry :D

From the installation process:

1) Structure: I had to create a lvl1npcs folder and put all others in there;

2) I wanted to skip all proficiencies tweaks, but when I pressed 0 and enter, the setup program gave me an error:

ERROR: error loading [pdialog.2da]

ERROR: problem parsing TP file [LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "pdialog.2da")

FATAL ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "pdialog.2da")

3) I proceded, pressed 1 at that component, and it went fine... until "make quarterstaves unusable for backstabbing". I pressed "NO!!!", and got the same error again. I should add that before giving me the error, the program tried to patch 3218 files for some reason.

Er, I think I'll wait for a patch?

*Sigh*

Apparently FILE_CONTAINS requires an absolute filepath now (I'd swear it didn't use to, but maybe I'm on drugs); I'll have to find some other way to make BG2 folks not display in TuTu. Checks are removed.

I'd assumed people would be extracting to a subdirectory, so it was compressed without one. Don't decompress this version to a subdirectory of your own creation, or the filepaths will all be wrong.

It'll make its own lvl1npcs folder by default again - so that can just go in the Tutu or BG2 directory or whatver.

Since the archive name is lvl1npcs.rar, rar extracters will offer to "extract files" or "extract to /lvl1npcs": the latter option will result in a folder inside a folder with the same name and you'd have to take it back out - nothing complicated, just an annoyance.

I apologize for wasting your time :)

The portentous Copying lotslotsandlots of files.... message is one of the reasons I was asking for the ability to repress this stuff; the mod will copy some party joinable creatures and maybe a few hundred weapons tops, but it always tells you it's copying all creature and item files.

Sorry, I've been around almost all day and I still missed this ;)

The link in the first post points to an installable alpha three (re-download if you grabbed an earlier one that was broken due to my silliness) There's no difference except for:

The check to omit non-present NPCs works instead of halting install

The replace item usability section is commented out - I'm not 100% happy with it and have been rewriting it for the Beta.

Feel free to play around with it: the level 1 NPC section is working pretty nicely, the mangle-weapon-proficiencies optional component has seen no testing whatsover, so it may have a bug or two left to quash.

We'll go beta when WeiDU 199 hits ;)

WeiDU loves you ;)

Open up your override folder and delete a file called "lvl1npcs.flag" - sometimes on a failed install not everything is rolled back correctly. I recommend using search in the folder rather than trying to find it manually.

After doing so, just install the main component and you should be good to go ;)

Archived