Where to post ideas for BG mods?

ericp07

Hello,

Is there a place among the forums here where people are welcome to post ideas for mods as submissions for anyone who's interested, willing, and able to create the mods? I ask this because I have no experience writing a mod, but I'm wondering if some of my favorite D&D characters would make worthwhile joinable NPC mods. On a related note, I'm interested in what kinds of characters are most desired as the basis for joinable NPC mods. This is primarily for BGII, though I don't know what would constitute ToB-specific content.

Thanks,

Eric

This is probably your best spot, in the General Mod Discussion forum, but I don't want to raise your expectations that someone will take on the project.

Should you decide to tackle the project yourself, however, there are plenty of folks around who can help you get started.

D&D characters make good mod NPCs. I understand that the original BioWare cast has a few of them in there, and I can tell you for a fact that Gavin was once a D&D character.

I'm becoming more and more interested in learning how to create joinable NPC mods, but at the same time, I'm a bit apprehensive about it. I know there's a lot involved, and I'm a person who's heavily into detail, precision, realism in the game context, and cross-compatibility (I use Macs exclusively, but want to be sure that anything I create will work equally well on a Windows machine). Also, being mindful of my testing experiences, I'll want to make sure it doesn't conflict with or break other mods.

Just looking at how to create a basic .d file looks daunting, to my inexperienced eyes. I welcome any and all helpful advice from successful modders. My first brave attempt will likely be to create a mod version of my favorite female ranger--however cliché she may appear--who is a Sylvan Elf. I'll have to create a kit for her, too, as she was a Needle, which is a specialty priest of Mielikki in the Forgotten Realms. I'd want to expand the mod to make it possible for anyone who meets the requirements (must be a ranger who worships Mielikki) to take the kit. The focus is on being opposed to Malar and his followers, though this isn't currently represtented in the game. Malar is the god of the destructive aspect of nature, and his followers hunt and kill for sport and as a show of might. Yep, I'm good at making things complicated for myself *L* I'll be interested in finding ways, if possible, to make Malar's followers a force with which to be reckoned in the game.

My character has detailed background, but she doesn't care to go on and on talking about herself, though she's free with information about herself for interested parties. I feel that this concept has potential, and hope that it will appeal to someone out there :(

Thanks,

Eric

There are some kit and dialogue tutorials here. Also, there's nothing like ripping apart another mod to see how it works - check Divine Remix for other specialty priest kits.

Excellent! I see I'm on the right track, as I was thinking it would be good to dig into a mod to see how it's constructed. I suppose the first thing I'll need to do is to become familiar with the tools needed to create a mod...and now it sucks more than ever that I don't have any microphones. Shame on me, considering I'm an audio engineer *L* Well, at least I can compose, perform, and record any music to be used :(

And so, another aspiring modder sets to work!

Thanks,

Eric

at least I can compose, perform, and record any music to be used :(
That sounds promising!

Just a hint: Make sure you register a personal prefix - makes (compatibility) life so much easier! http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showtopic=113

Anyway, have fun! And do not hesitate to ask if you have questions.

I guarantee I'll have questions *L* I'll follow on your hint as well.

Thanks!

Eric

Archived