2 Bugs

Guest Chronis

Guest Chronis

Hello,

I am playing through BGItutu as an evil character. I have a clean install with the BGI NPC project as my only mod

I have found two bugs so far.

Bug 1: Xan has an infinite loop dialog. When your reputation goes low, Xan warns you to change course or we will all be doomed or something like that. He then tells you the same thing again and again every three seconds until you have to kick him out of the party in annoyance

Bug 2: Imoen leaving bug. When your rep falls below 9, imoen automatically leaves the party when you talk with her. As the one character who stuck with you no matter what your reputation was in BGII this is definitely a bug.

Chronis

Guest jastey*
As the one character who stuck with you no matter what your reputation was in BGII this is definitely a bug.
No. Imoen leaving in anger at low rep if talked to is vanilla (original) BG1 behaviour, and BG1NPC didn't touch it.

Xan's dialogue loop definitely sounds like a bug...

Which version are you playing?

Thank you for taking time to write this.

Bug 1: Xan has an infinite loop dialog. When your reputation goes low, Xan warns you to change course or we will all be doomed or something like that. He then tells you the same thing again and again every three seconds until you have to kick him out of the party in annoyance

This is a serious problem. From what I see, two reputation-related dialogues for Xan introduced by the mod have dead-set stop triggers.

Please, can you post the exact line he says? Is it

"Keep up this evil, and we're deservedly doomed." ?

Does a dialogue window appear, or is he just saying it?

And every three seconds? Because if it happens every few minutes, it's okay, it's as it should be - it's in the game, and we're not changing it. But if it happens every three seconds, it's definitely something we should research.

Bug 2: Imoen leaving bug. When your rep falls below 9, imoen automatically leaves the party when you talk with her. As the one character who stuck with you no matter what your reputation was in BGII this is definitely a bug.

It's an issue I addressed in Tutu forum a while ago, too, and I believe it's a bug of the original Tutu conversion/EasyTutu conversion, as well(not BG1 NPC Project; we're not doing anything, we're not changing it). Imoen should leave after Happiness<290 or 299, not Happiness<0, I absolutely agree, it needs fixing.

Guest Chronis

Here is your problem, the dialog is fine but you use the variable X#xanlowrep going from 1 to 2 as your check to protect against a loop. In your xan script file, your code constantly resets this variable back to one making an infinite loop. I have posted the offending code below from the file _xan.bcs to help you out.

You need to add "!Global("X#XanLowRep","GLOBAL",2)" to the if part of the code to fix the loop.

IF

InParty(Myself)

CombatCounter(0)

!See([ENEMY])

ReputationLT(Player1,9)

Global("X#XanVeryLowRep","GLOBAL",0)

!AreaCheck("FW5404")

!AreaCheck("FW5405")

OR(2)

AreaType(CITY)

AreaType(OUTDOOR)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

PlaySong(0)

PlaySound("xannn99")

RealSetGlobalTimer("X#XALowRepTalkTime","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)

SetGlobal("X#XanLowRep","GLOBAL",1)

StartDialogNoSet(Player1)

END

I never got a rep less then five but you have another set up for an infinite loop lower in the script file with the same problem as above.

IF

InParty(Myself)

CombatCounter(0)

!See([ENEMY])

ReputationLT(Player1,5)

RealGlobalTimerExpired("X#XALowRepTalkTime","GLOBAL")

Global("X#XanVeryLowRep","GLOBAL",0)

GlobalGT("X#XanLowRep","GLOBAL",0)

!AreaCheck("FW5404")

!AreaCheck("FW5405")

OR(2)

AreaType(CITY)

AreaType(OUTDOOR)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

PlaySong(0)

PlaySound("xannn99")

SetGlobal("X#XanVeryLowRep","GLOBAL",1)

StartDialogNoSet(Player1)

END

I would recommend running a quick check of all of your script files to make sure you don't have other infinite loops for low rep checks as they are easy to fix but game breakers.

Bug 2: It's an issue I addressed in Tutu forum a while ago, too, and I believe it's a bug of the original Tutu conversion/EasyTutu conversion, as well(not BG1 NPC Project; we're not doing anything, we're not changing it). Imoen should leave after Happiness<290 or 299, not Happiness<0, I absolutely agree, it needs fixing.

Why not change it? It would be easy enough? I'll volunteer to do it for you if the development team does not have time. It will take me a few weeks to get around to it as I am busy with work at the moment but I would be happy to fix it.

Chronis

Thank you for the code and diagnosis! I will go back through and check- Kulyok, Jastey, berelinde, if you have the time, could you please doublecheck both Ajantis' loops and Xan's loops? I am pretty sure that is it, but will search the project.

As for the fix for Imoen, it sounds reasonable; it is already present in the "Happy Patch"; on BGT, Tutu v4, and EasyTutu, each development team (or person in the case of BGT) has determined that it is "expected behavior", so it would need to be a Tweak. The relevant discussions are in the various forums, but I will recheck them to see if anyone is wavering.

(And we can't really call it a bug if the dudes who built the platforms don't, so we can't really fix it... closed the project a good while ago, so it needs to be presented to the BG2 Tweak Pack, I think :( ).

Here is your problem, the dialog is fine but you use the variable X#xanlowrep going from 1 to 2 as your check to protect against a loop.

No, it's just you're playing an older version. You can either set the variable via console to, say, seven, and continue playing, or uninstall BG1 NPC Project, download and install a new version and start a new game. I think the former works better.

(cmorgan: nothing needs fixing. Just look at the code: "FW5404". v14 doesn't have it: it's %areaname% all the way. We probably fixed this loop around v12-ish.)

As for the fix for Imoen, it sounds reasonable; it is already present in the "Happy Patch"; on BGT, Tutu v4, and EasyTutu, each development team (or person in the case of BGT) has determined that it is "expected behavior"

I don't care much about BGT, but on Tutu forum the matter was pending further discussion. I've been searching for a link yesterday, but couldn't find it.

Imoen leaving the PC when the reputation is <10 *is* a bug, and it needs fixing.

cmorgan: I am not aware of any "Ajantis' loops". What are you referring to?

Kulyok: If the code below was taken from the game via NI, it still could be from v14.

Chronis: Which version of BG1NPC are you playing? Where did you take the code from?

Actually, these "loops" for low rep warnings are wanted. The timer is "ONE_DAY", so it doesn't explain Xan talking "every three seconds", as the bug report went. For Ajantis, the idea is that he continues complaining until the rep goes up again. It could have been made a randomised text, so it doesn't feel like a looping dialogue. (Hey, that's a good idea for BGII).

We could increase the timers to TWO_ or THREE_DAYS, if it's too annoying.

Guest Chronis

Checked my version looks like I am playing with an older one

Version 12beta3 so I guess the Xan bug is already fixed sorry about that.

I would still strongly argue that the imoen thing is a bug, and an easy to rectify one at that, but as this is your teams baby I'll leave that discussion to you. Keep up the good work.

Chronis

Cool - glad that the loop hing was a red herring (false lead).

If I hear 100% agreement from the following people on an override of Imoen's (and Imoen's alone) described behavior being something we should address, I guess we could reopen for it - don't want to, as it is an issue that should be addressed by Macready, Ascension64, SimDing0, etc. in Tutufix/EasyTutu or one that should be fixed for everyone via BG Tweaks, etc; but we do incorporate bugfixes more current than those mods already. So, if

Domi, kulyok, Jastey, and berelinde

all vote to override our own internal stuff and call this a bug that we should address, the code is simple to acieve and can be added to CamDawg's/Domi-'s code in the tp2 dealing with expanding neutral comment range.

I have no objection to anything that might be considered a bugfix in BG1 NPC. We're not talking about adding four new quests here, we're talking about fixing one bug. It's within the stated purpose of the mod, which is to enable players to enjoy enhanced interaction with BioWare NPCs. There is precedent for including other fixes as Core components.

I say yes, include as a Core component.

So, if Domi, kulyok, Jastey, and berelinde

all vote to override our own internal stuff and call this a bug that we should address, the code is simple to acieve and can be added to CamDawg's/Domi-'s code in the tp2 dealing with expanding neutral comment range.

2/4 so far what do you say Jastey?

-Chronis

Archived