Weird dialogue

Guest faelyn

I just want to say that I love this mod!

Unfortunately, I've gotten a rather weird dialogue problem. Anomen's just passed his knighthood test a few hours ago. So, I've had the usual "glorious day. the Order loves me and is giving me squires, and I owe it all to you" talk.

Here's the problem: Right after the talk ends, another Anomen dialogue starts. I go from "Thank you for helping me" to a new talk about earthly pursuits, and lying to him in the room with Saerk to keep him from going crazy. Or telling him that he's right and I'm glad he's not celibate.

We didn't even have the crimson flower talk (or is it dark flame, can't remember), and I certainly made no love declarations to him in Saerk's room!

How did that happen? I have the flirt pack installed, but I thought I was on the right track with Kivan.

More importantly, have I ruined my Kivan romance?

I've recreated this about ten times now, so it's not just a random glitch. :(

Would you please post your weidu.log? There might be something else going on here.

I would love too. That's the file that tells you the install order of everything, right? Sorry, I haven't played BG in four years, and I've forgotten everything.

Would you please post your weidu.log? There might be something else going on here.

I would love too. That's the file that tells you the install order of everything, right? Sorry, I haven't played BG in four years, and I've forgotten everything.

I think I'm right, so:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name

~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Shadows of Amn

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // Install SOA Banter Accelerator script? (Increases the frequency of interparty banter)

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Throne of Bhaal

// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // Install TOB Banter Accelerator script? (Increases the frequency of interparty banter)

~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Pocket Plane Banter Pack for BG2: Throne of Bhaal

~SETUP-BANTERPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // Install TOB Banter Accelerator script? (Increases the frequency of interparty banter)

~SETUP-KIVAN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Kivan of Shilmista

~SETUP-KIVAN.TP2~ #0 #5 // Select Kivan's Portrait -> Do Not Install Alternative Portrait for Kivan.

~SETUP-KIVAN.TP2~ #0 #7 // Install ToB Portion of the Mod

~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Aerie Flirt Pack For SOA

~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #2 // Aerie Flirt Pack For TOB

~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #4 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for SOA

~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #6 // Jaheira Flirt Pack for TOB

~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #8 // Viconia Flirt Pack for SOA

~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #10 // Viconia Flirt Pack for TOB

~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #12 // Anomen Flirt Pack for SOA

~SETUP-NPCFLIRT.TP2~ #0 #14 // Anomen Flirt Pack for TOB

~SETUP-DUNGEONBEGONE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Dungeon Be Gone V1.4

And if I'm not, my aplogies.

First of all, I see no fixpack of any kind. Are you using one? If you're using the original Baldurdash fixpack, that's non-WeiDU, so it won't leave an entry in the weidu.log.

After that, there isn't a lot on your install, so there isn't anything I can point to and say "This is it."

And I certainly don't know anything about lying to Anomen about killing Saerk or saying that being glad he's not celibate. For one thing, you have to actively pursue Anomen into Saerk's estate, you don't just wind up there. So maybe you can fill in a few of the gaps?

Sorry if this sounds like I'm pumping you for information, but the more you can give us, the easier it is for us to understand the problem you're having.

First of all, I see no fixpack of any kind. Are you using one? If you're using the original Baldurdash fixpack, that's non-WeiDU, so it won't leave an entry in the weidu.log.

After that, there isn't a lot on your install, so there isn't anything I can point to and say "This is it."

And I certainly don't know anything about lying to Anomen about killing Saerk or saying that being glad he's not celibate. For one thing, you have to actively pursue Anomen into Saerk's estate, you don't just wind up there. So maybe you can fill in a few of the gaps?

Sorry if this sounds like I'm pumping you for information, but the more you can give us, the easier it is for us to understand the problem you're having.

Yeah, I use baldurdash.

That's the weird thing. I was never in Saerk's estate. I'm only half way through chapter 2, and have been in the bridge district a handful of times. The dialogue was COMPLETELY random. I haven't had a confrontation with Saerk, nor have I been actively pursuing Anomen. I've helped him get knighted and talked about his childhood traumas, that's it.

And no apologies needed, you're trying to help! I'm trying to be specific, but it was a definite what the "hell is he talking about" moment. One moment I was in the Temple Ruins exploding shadows, and the next, Ano's talking about his and my PC's sex life together in front of her real romance interest.

Actually, it might not be so weird. Looking at your weidu.log again, I see that you uninstalled/reinstalled the banterpack, which was early in your installation.

When you save your game, you're doing more than putting a bookmark on the page where you left off. You're also saving a whole lot of variables, and numeric cues that tell the game which text lines to display. The latter are called string references. Now, when you uninstall and reinstall a mod, the saved string references are no longer the same as they were before, so you'll get some highly bizarre dialogue. Like what you're seeing here.

This is especially true if you're using a saved game from a previous installation that included other mods.

You might be all right just starting a new game. If not, you might have to follow the advice on "Building and Maintaining a Clean Install."

Many mod NPCs have string fixers that allow you to "reset" the dialogue, but the BioWare bunch don't.

The dialogue in question doesn't have a check for Saerk Quest, that's true:

IF
Global("AnomenIsKnight","GLOBAL",1)
Alignment("ANOMEN", LAWFUL_GOOD)
CombatCounter(0)
See(Player1)
InParty("P#Kivan")
!StateCheck(Player1,STATE_SLEEPING)
Global("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)
!GLOBAL("P#KivanRomanceInactive","GLOBAL",1)
Global("P#AnomenKivanConflict","LOCALS",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("P#AnomenKivanConflict","LOCALS",1)
StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)
END

- so the way it is, the player can see it in the game before Anomen's quests are done. It might be confusing, yeah - but it's not a reinstall issue, it's all coded in Kivan mod itself.

The dialogue checks for AnomenRomanceActive=2, though - it means that either the rhodelia talk has been there(and the game has skipped it, which happens, albeit rarely), or the original game/baldurdash/flirt pack sets AnomenRomanceActive to 2 early(but I doubt it; I don't think so).

Well, it's good to hear the installation isn't hosed!

But I don't remember that talk at all, and I've played the mod several times, although now that I think about it, when I plan to romance Kivan, I generally break up with Anomen long before that talk takes place.

Unless I'm mistaken, and it's always possible, Anomen's romance gets set to 2 after the conversation following the knighthood test. I'm off to decompile Anomen's dialogue to confirm this. I'll post the result.

Unless I'm mistaken, and it's always possible, Anomen's romance gets set to 2 after the conversation following the knighthood test.

Yes, absolutely, you're right. I had BANOMEN.d at work - leftover from RE v1 times - and it sets it to 2 after Anomen passes (or fails) his test:

SAY #35781 /* ~A glorious day it is, my lady!  I have achieved my dream, and I owe much of that to your assistance and counsel.  I...I am most grateful to you for it.~ [ANOMEN87] */
 IF ~~ THEN REPLY #35782 /* ~Thank you...I was happy to help.~ */ DO ~SetGlobal("AnomenRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2)~ GOTO 401

It was kind of unfair of Bioware, I guess, to make Anomen's romance committed before he even confessed. But then again, it happens with mods, too - I recall that Kelsey's J#KelseyRomanceActive is set to 2 even before "I love you!" lovetalk, so.

Saerk issue might still look confusing, though.

Argh. I always thought that You *have* to do Saerk's Estate in order to pass Anomen's test. In fact I thought it was the prerequisite. I thought Anomen always fails if he takes revenge on Saerk, and always passes if he doesn't. I guess, I am wrong.

Anyway, I guess, I will have to go find a variable to place the goddamn talk better.

It is there specifically because the romance is re-set for Anomen to 2 after his test, and I want the player to have a chance to actually reject the man but give him his knighthood.

Actually, it might not be so weird. Looking at your weidu.log again, I see that you uninstalled/reinstalled the banterpack, which was early in your installation.

When you save your game, you're doing more than putting a bookmark on the page where you left off. You're also saving a whole lot of variables, and numeric cues that tell the game which text lines to display. The latter are called string references. Now, when you uninstall and reinstall a mod, the saved string references are no longer the same as they were before, so you'll get some highly bizarre dialogue. Like what you're seeing here.

This is especially true if you're using a saved game from a previous installation that included other mods.

You might be all right just starting a new game. If not, you might have to follow the advice on "Building and Maintaining a Clean Install."

Many mod NPCs have string fixers that allow you to "reset" the dialogue, but the BioWare bunch don't.

Yeah, noticed that as well when I looked at the .log. I didn't like the banter accelerator, tried to uninstalled it in the dark, and took out some other things as well. All this because I didn't have light.

Starting a new game's not so bad, I pretty much thought I would have too, but just hoped you wonderful mod gurus would know how to fix it. Thanks for the help!

Argh. I always thought that You *have* to do Saerk's Estate in order to pass Anomen's test. In fact I thought it was the prerequisite. I thought Anomen always fails if he takes revenge on Saerk, and always passes if he doesn't. I guess, I am wrong.

Anyway, I guess, I will have to go find a variable to place the goddamn talk better.

It is there specifically because the romance is re-set for Anomen to 2 after his test, and I want the player to have a chance to actually reject the man but give him his knighthood.

Oh, this makes sense! And, that is kind of you to do that. No, you only go to Saerk's estate if you take him down the revenge path in chapter 2.

Or if you're romancing him, you took him down knighthood path, it's chapter six and he's learnt that Saerk was responsible for his sisters death.

If the latter happens, he runs of the Saerk estate, and the PC has to follow him or he leaves forever. I do not remember if you talk him out of it once he's there. (this is initially where I believed the "weird" lovetalk came from as you tell him you love him, ect once in the estate yourself.)

Also, if you start him down the revenge path in chapter 2, then try to talk him out of it once you're in the estate or berate him for killing the innocent girl, he gets confused and the romance breaks.

You're right that he automatically fails the knighthood test if he takes revenge in chapter 2. And he automatically passes if you tell him not to go down the path of vengeance.

I admit I could just break the romance with the flirt pack, but I really wanted to see the infamous dialogue where Kivan points out that Anomen may not be the only one interested in the PC.

So, my game's not broken then? Can I just tell him I was lying and go on with life? When I do this, the romance doesn't break with Ano. When I talk to him the flirt pack tells that that "he's becoming more than a friend". If you need the globals, I think I can copy them from ShadowKeeper.

I just also wanted to say thank you for this mod. I absolutely love it. Thank you and everyone who worked on it.

You don't have to! The dialogue fired precisely when it was supposed to fire. It's just that the Anomen/Saerk encounter happens later than Domi thought.

So carry on.

Yay! :(;) Thanks! So, I just tell him I lied and that will get things back on track with Kivan?

It's funny, I hadn't planned on romancing Ano at all. I'm going to make a Chaotic Neutral assassin in my next game who's going to do that and ultimately drive him to suicide. :p

Archived