Sign in to follow this  
Strontium Dog

Experience in IWD1Tutu

I wanted to ask how you're going to set up the XP-point-gains in IWD1Tutu? I'm hoping that you won't use the Icewind Dale2 XP system, as I hated the challenge-rating-concept, which always forced me to end up with at most level 19 with a 6-member-party - with the original Icewind Dale, it was possible to go as far as 24th(26th?) level by the end of the game(after playing Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster), so I hope you can arrange it so that a 6-member-party can all easily reach 30th level by the end of the game.

I'm not certain I understand the problem here ? Are you complaining that IWD2 have to low "calculated" level at the end of the game ?

IWD1tutu will be using the IWD2 system, and even if it was planned to change, I'm not exactlly certain how that could be done. It is not the challenge rating system that keeps you to "only" become level 19, it's the amount of challenges, game, monsters, quest XP etc from start to end of the game. If you play IWD1 withouth expantionpacks you even had a XP limit that set you to not even gain level 8 and 9 spells (and as such, those where even impossible to write to spellbook in iwd1). Considering this, IWD2 isactually more free in this regard.

The Challenge rating system is generally considered a much needed improvement over the old "set xp per monster" that could let you camp out at the forest waiting for random spawning goblins for lousy XP all year long until you managed to levelup that last level. If anything, IWD2 is a bit TO forgiving in this part, considering how it calculates things wrongly, and makes people making level 30 characters before finishing chapter 2.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I guess the ansver is just "no".

If anything, IWD2 is a bit TO forgiving in this part, considering how it calculates things wrongly, and makes people making level 30 characters before finishing chapter 2.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I guess the ansver is just "no".

The people on the forums have stated is that in IWD2, it's possible to reach level 30 by the end of the game, IF you're playing solo - if you're playing with 6 characters, then if you do every possible quest, do everything right etc., the best you can possibly hope for is reaching around level 19 (even with the extra-10% XP patch etc.)- which sucks. I suppose, though, you're referring to playing the game in Heart-Of-Fury-mode another two times, in addition to the normal game, in which case, level 30 would indeed be reachable, with a 6-member-party - (I remember doing every possible quest in Normal mode and then once again with HOF mode, and my 6-member-party only reached something like 26th(?) level, certainly not more than that). Personally, I've never liked playing in HOF mode as I find it highly unrealistic, in that you have to use summoning monsters to fight everything, even against hostile goblins.

At any rate, it's not a problem, even with the Challenge-Mode in place, I can always deliberately up XP to decent levels at each chapter-level, so that level-30 is an option by the time I finish the Trials of the Luremaster/Sea of Moving Ice portions of the game - with conversion to IWD2-engine, the creatures, especially in the TOTL part, will be that much more deadly. I just see this as a better, more realistic option than the dodgy but very common practice of going into a hostile area, firing off spells, then moving away elsewhere in order to rest for 8 hours and regain memorised spells, before returning and finishing off the remaining hostile NPCs(who, unrealistically, still haven't called for reinforcements etc.)

Anyway, I'm glad that an IWD2-Tutu version is appearing. I'm sure it'll be just as fun to play as BG1Tutu.

Edited by Strontium Dog

Well there are those that have become max level in IWD2 on normal mode with 6 characters. It's a little bug really, in how the machine calculates XP.

Playing normally with 6 people on normal mode and doing all quests should get you as you said to about level 16-19 somewhere for most (generally a level or two more if you have a good mix of non ECL and ECL races).

Also playing solo shouldn't give you that much more XP really, you will definitivelly reach each level faster, but the higher level you get the less XP you get for defeating lower monsters. So only quest XP is unmodified, thus if you level to high the quest XP is the only XP you get. I would estimate say 5 levels higher than what you would be with a full party. (I haven't really tried this so can't say for certain just how much you would be over "normal party").

Guest Me is Guest

Well the problem with the Icewind Dale 2 xp system, as I understand it, is that it both increases the xp needed to reach the next level (as is "normal") and then also lowers the xp gained for kills using the challenge rating or whatever. To me that sounds like double "punishment" when either one would be fine on its own.

(Did that make sense? Lack of morning coffee tends to dull my ability to express myself clearly...)

Well the problem with the Icewind Dale 2 xp system, as I understand it, is that it both increases the xp needed to reach the next level (as is "normal") and then also lowers the xp gained for kills using the challenge rating or whatever. To me that sounds like double "punishment" when either one would be fine on its own.

(Did that make sense? Lack of morning coffee tends to dull my ability to express myself clearly...)

To me at least it did not make sence, sorry :p

The XP needed to level up is amazinglly smaller numbers than the ones used in Seccond editoin (aka iwd1). A 20th level character in 3rd ed have 191000 XP, while a similar amount of XP would not even give you a 8th level Ranger in 2E (or 10th level thief iirc).

The XP per creature is heavilly modified, but basically you can get lots of XP killing monsters with higher challenge ratings (Example killing Ogres at level 1 will give you immense XP infact you should get 600 XP for killing a ogre for the first 4-5 levels. That is more than the lousy 270 XP you got for them in 2nd Ed, which was static so you never got more or less.

They simply added the challenge rating system so you would get more XP for fighting big mosnters, and very little to nothing against small puny enemies you should not have the least problem with. In general this avoids such situations as camping for lots of small kills just to get a level up etc.

It is a "punishment" at the higher levels of a sort, as killing 100 goblins gives you no experience points, but this system was really intended for Pen & Paper and not computer games, so in those cases you rather got a "quest XP" from the DM for "having cleared the docks of more annoying puny goblins".

At low levels this is basically just a big boon, as it helps you up the first couple of levels very fast. In 3rd edition a goblin gives you 75XP a head, and orcs 150XP per head for a first level character, and you only need 1000XP to level up. In 2nd Ed a fighter needed 2000xp to level up, and you got (From memory, might be wrong) 15 or 35 XP for a normal goblin, and 65 xp for an orc. In all effect you level up 4 times as fast in 3rd ed compared to 2nd ed at low levels.

In general, with standard encounter levels, you should level up faster in 3rd ed rules.

Uhm yeah, annother long post from me, getting a bit to enganged into this rules stuff... Uhm if I was unclear, overly technical or just making an ass of myself do tell and I'll try to remedy. Right now I gotta head out and crack some orc skulls!

Out!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this