Crash to Desktop

Caedwyr

With my kit mod that I've been working on, everything works fine, except for HLAs. When I level the character up high enough that the ABILITIES button lights up in the level up screen, clicking on it causes a crash to desktop. Anyone have any ideas what could cause this behaviour? I've checked everything obvious to me such as the spell .bam icons (32x32, apparantly the right colour scheme), the .2da table with the HLA assigned, and nothing seems to be incorrect or corrupted. I did make one correction to luge0.2da (the HLA .2da table), but that didn't seem to have any effect on the crashes.

So, any good canidates for causes of the CTD involving HLA selection?

Not off-hand. But then again, I've no experience with the HLAs.

In general, debugging crashes: If you add

[Program Options]
Logging On=1
Debug Mode=1

in baldur.ini, do you get anything interesting in baldur.err after the crash? Might not, but it's one thing to try to get more info.

I don't get any BG error message. I do get a Windows XP error message which may be taking the place of the BG error message. I"ll take a look through the windows error message details to see if I can find a ChVidPal.cpp type message buried in there.

Are there any good tools for checking to see if the bams are okay? They all open just fine in Bamworkshop II and DLTCP.

I don't get any BG error message. I do get a Windows XP error message which may be taking the place of the BG error message. I"ll take a look through the windows error message details to see if I can find a ChVidPal.cpp type message buried in there.
It is that message you want to capture - usually it's some sort of assertion error with a module name and line number, that can reveal what's going wrong.
Are there any good tools for checking to see if the bams are okay? They all open just fine in Bamworkshop II and DLTCP.
Unfortunately not... if I knew more about the right type of coding, I'd write one and just clean up (well, clean up my own BAM development timelines anyway). BAM Workshop I is at least marginally better than II. One thing to try is back out your changes, and then just write a mini-mod that overwrites some default L1 wizard spells BAMs with your own. Then create a mage, try to pick some spells and see if that crashes the game.

Error signature:

AppName: bgmain.exe

AppVer: 2.5.0.2

ModName: bgmain.exe

ModVer: 2.5.0.2

Offset: 0059a400

Exception Information:

Code: 0xc0000005

Flags: 0x00000000

Record: 0x0000000000000000

Address: 0x000000000099a400

Does any of that help?

And testing them as you suggested. Looks like I'll get there eventually

Does any of that help?
It's dwarvish to me. But before you got the technical details, did you get a more generic message, like an assertion error? If not, it could be anything, but at least you can rule out the BAMs pretty easily.

I'm working my way through the HLA table right now, I'm up to ability 7 with no crashes (though a bunch of bugs to fix with the spells and such). I'm fairly certain it is some sort of BAM issue. The methodology you suggested should let me track it down.

Edit: I blame the_bigg

Archived