BG1 NPCs in IWD

Kulyok

You do realize it has already been done, right? It's called Never Ending Journey by Vlad at BlackWyrmLair. I'm playing it now and, except for the monsters being way overpowered and a trivial amount of extra content, is identical to IWD1. It starts in Irenicus' dungeon so you have Imoen, Minsc, Jaheira, and Shar-Teel.

The real reason I mention it is that Horred the Plague at Spellhold wrote a program for Vlad that converted IWD1 to BG2 much like BG1Tutu does. If you could get your claws (hands, sorry) on that it should make your project much easier.

I would prefer to have other NPCs besides Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc, and Shar-Teel.

If people could lay their condescending sniffles to the side for a moment, Steve just pointed you to a viable option.

Although horred is M.I.A., I don't believe he would have any issue with using his program.

In my current MegaInstall game I've deferred the NEJ portion to later in the game (please don't tell Vlad!), so I will be taking other NPCs into IWD than those four. I've never done this before, don't know how it will affect NEJ, but that's all part of the fun of having a modded game!

I would say that I'd like to try my hand with a team of twelve: Ajantis, Branwen, Coran, Dynaheir, Edwin, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Kivan, Minsc, Viconia, Xan. This may sound ambitious - the game isn't this big, though.

thats seems like a lot of work, but with 12 characters, that give you a few options for whom to fill the other character slots with, it wont always be the same 5. you could vary it up.

Although horred is M.I.A., I don't believe he would have any issue with using his program.

Sure enough, I sent him an e-mail asking about it.

I know "Pure" IWD: Heart of Winter has a massive disadvantage of not being able to use Real timers; unfortunately, it's only possible to use game time: hours and days. There're other things, too. So, yes, such technical help would be most welcome.

Not to belabor the point (always wanted to say that), I believe horred gave implicit, if not explicit, permission to use his resources. If I can find proof of this on SHS, will pass it along to you. Otherwise, maybe some other members will be able to show this proof.

Yes, this is fine, but all proof in the world is useless without the program itself, and I don't have it - and don't see the link. If you've got it, and you could let me have a look at what it does, that'd be great.

Wow, Kulyok! All the best with this; if you could do what Domi did for IWD2 than I'd be a very happy gamer. It's going to be a lot of work for you, and I hope you don't overdo yourself on it. And i think the NPCs you have chosen to follow you are a good and varied bunch. As much as I'sd like to see some of those lesser known NPCs, for some, if not most of them, they wouldn't follow you up north even had they reason to.

Yeah, so good luck. You have my full support. :)

Guest A Different Guest
IWD happens 30 or so years before Drizzt comes to Amn or something right? Im not quite sure, but i know its 30 years and something to do with Drizzt. i read in somewhere, man i wsih i knew what i was talking about better, IWD manual?

Actually, they say the same thing in both manuals (IWD + IWD2), despite the fact that there's something like 30 years between the games. Or maybe they gave the same date (apparently 1281?) in both manuals; I can't remember or check right now, but I recall the IWD2 bit being basically a copy-paste of the IWD bit.

Anyhow... This sounds like an amazing idea! I always loved IWD for the looks and music, and the story was not as one-dimensional hack-'n'-slashy as I had first been told. I have faith in you, Kulyok!

IWD happens 30 or so years before Drizzt comes to Amn or something right? Im not quite sure, but i know its 30 years and something to do with Drizzt. i read in somewhere, man i wsih i knew what i was talking about better, IWD manual?

Actually, they say the same thing in both manuals (IWD + IWD2), despite the fact that there's something like 30 years between the games. Or maybe they gave the same date (apparently 1281?) in both manuals; I can't remember or check right now, but I recall the IWD2 bit being basically a copy-paste of the IWD bit.

from the IWD Manual

Icewind Dale is actually a step back in time for the Forgotten Realms - the game itself takes place in Eleint, 1281 DR, Year of the Cold Soul (This is sixteen years prior to Drizzt arriving on the surface, as mentioned in the Icewind Dale Trilogy of books by R.A Salvatore)

from the BGII Manual

The Roll is a long one; some of the more important years include the Year of the Worm (1356 DR), the Year of Shadows (1358 DR, the year of the Time of Troubles), the Year of the Turret (1360 DR) and 1369 DR, (the current year)

so that makes IWD uh.. 88 years before BGII

is that right? TOT in 1358, and the current year 1369, if your BG character was born in TOT, and its 1369 now, that would make them 11? (69-58). you seem a lot older than that. or did i just miss something?

BG protagonist was born *before* ToT. I think this is clearly stated in BG1 somewhere (IIRC it is said you are 20 years old or so). ToB incorrectly mentions you were born during Time of Troubles - but then, there are other inconsistencies in ToB too.

If i understood, you want to convert bg1 to iwd1, instead of converting bg1/iwd1 to bg2?

It is doomed.

Probably it is easier to convert bg1 stuff to iwd1, than bg2 to iwd1, but still, why would you do it when you got the bg2 engine?

What exactly is the problem with NEJ?

Archived