BG1 NPCs in IWD

Kulyok

I don't want to convert anything - I want to add joinable NPCs with banters and interjections to IWD: Heart of Winter, not unlike Domi did with IWD2.

If there's a Tutu-like program around which converts IWD to BG2, all the better - please, point me to it, if you know about it.

If i understood correctly, you want to play IWD content with BG1 npcs.

But IWD isn't NPC friendly, so you'll have to convert, if you ever want to see IWD content with NPCs.

On the other hand, you will need to add new content, because the bg1 npcs are not aware of the IWD events.

So, i guess, this is doomed... It is simply too much work.

Domi created new npcs, and with some help she was able to shoehorn them into the unyielding IWD2 engine.

You will also need to create new npcs with some leftover portrait art and already set personalities.

I think Avenger thinks that Kulyok actually want to export the characters from BG1, while her intention is to create the 'new' ones, though unlike IWD2NPC, they will have the old NPCs personalities, portraits and soundsets. :)

BG protagonist was born *before* ToT. I think this is clearly stated in BG1 somewhere (IIRC it is said you are 20 years old or so). ToB incorrectly mentions you were born during Time of Troubles - but then, there are other inconsistencies in ToB too.

ok thanks for that, i thought something was up.

I think Avenger thinks that Kulyok actually want to export the characters from BG1, while her intention is to create the 'new' ones, though unlike IWD2NPC, they will have the old NPCs personalities, portraits and soundsets. :)

Yes, i think i understood what she wants, but adding npcs to iwd1 is even more bothersome than doing the same with iwd2. You don't have pre generated parties.

The player will need to import your pre generated characters manually.

Yes, it's quite easy: the player just needs to choose NPCs as player2-player6; of course, if the player decides to make the party from six Jaheiras or two Xans, the player is on his or her own. There's even the benefit of being able to change character's portraits from BG1 ones to BG2 ones in a blink, should the player want to.

One problem I've got : IWD1 doesn't want to 'remember' the colors of characters' clothes. Which means that I have to script them, probably, once they join - I've yet to see how it's possible. I know Salomeya changes her dresses, but IWD2 engine allows more to the user/modder, from what I know. (I still prefer IWD one, because of wacky 3E rules and feats; but that's another story entirely).

Guest Pandæmonium

I was attempting to play through IWD properly for the first time recently and just couldn't endure the soul-crushing monotony of the dungeon crawl long enough to finish the Elven Fortress in chapter 4(?)

Having some old friends in there would really make the whole ordeal that much more tolerable.

Leaving the actual NPCs aside for a moment, I might tentatively suggest some changes to the mechanics; particularly the monsters, their levels and exp rewards.

As it starts the game seems (to me) reasonably balanced for a 5th or 6th level party past the prologue - a level or three below a hard-working bg1 party.

(At least, whenever I took a 1st level party -as in my last game- they tended to die very often, and made levels incredibly quickly, so that they were level 5 or so by the middle of the Vale of Shadows, before the levels settled into a gentle groove.)

Although I gave up before hitting level 10, I gather that a party of six can expect to move up to around level 15+? Perhaps the total exp can be tuned down to leave a party of six at around the 11 - 13 range? It's still higher than the starting level of BG2, but would allow a more credible sense of continuity than if CHARNAME suddenly jumped 3 or 4 levels back down the scale.

This is all personal really. I had planned to complete IWD with my BG1 CHARNAME and then retroactively edit his BGTutu file to reflect the extra exp and stat changes from IWD before importing him to BG2. Not an elegant solution, and if my CHARNAME had ever reached level 14+ I wouldn't have made the changes anyway. BG2 is easy enough without 5 or 6 extra levels from the offset.

A couple of extra levels past BG1, some small stat changes (another set of Manuals and Tomes even...?) would make an interesting incentive for an existing protagonist.

At one point I harboured thoughts for some sort of external utility which could convert BG1 .CRE files to IWD and then IWD .CRE files to BG2 (or at least generate new BG2 .CRE files which match the stats, exp and other features of an existing IWD character) so that a CHARNAME could be easily be taken through the three games.

Nothing ever came of that little fantasy, since this is how much I know about such things: ...

Well, I've gone off on a tangent, but I feel there's still much more to be said for preserving a sense of contunuity between BG1, IWD and BG2 games, past the insertion of existing character into the story.

There's a load of potential in the entire idea (particularly with Kulyok involved, if you don't mind me saying so) and I'm excited at even the prospect of finally getting an IWD worth playing through...

I'm terribly sorry if you read through this wall of nonsense expecting anything other than pointless rambling...

Archived