Paladin kits with gods like clerics?

Jarpie

In my opinion, Paladin kits should be done deity-basis, like cleric-kits are done. In my opinion paladins depends a lot on which god they serve; Paladin of Ilmater and Paladin of Hoar act very differently, for example.

There probably wouldn't be that much difference mechanically in BG2 but, RP-wise it would make lot more sense. I'll probably hit stick to ant's nest, but I suppose most of the players think much more mechinically, than from RP-point of view. I even try to play the role in single player games :(

Mhm. I think it's fine idea - but it haven't got any feedback from PnP materials (2nd and 3rd edition). Hey! It gives a lot of space for our/your ideas.

I think there should be paladins of Ilmater (Medician), Torm (Zealot) and Helm (Militarist). Mhm. There could be used (as a base) my kits which are conversion of true AD&D kits for paladins :-)

Wasn't Kelemvor already God of the Death in Baldur's Gate 2 since it happens after Time of Troubles? probably could replace Undead Hunter-kit with Paladin of Kelemvor, if he was god already in BG2.

Although, BG2 uses 2e rules, and Time of Troubles was transition between 2nd and 3rd rulesets, right?

In the 3.5 Edition book Champions of Valor, they introduce the idea that paladins don't just vary according to which deity they worship, but also which order they belong to. For example, the Order of the Golden Cup and the Companions of the Noble Heart are both groups of paladins in service to Ilmater, but the former gain abilities that allow them to better protect and heal others, while the latter have abilities related to combatting worshippers of the evil goddess Loviatar.

This book also has an extensive list of paladin orders (amongst other organizations dedicate to good)... though those familiar with the 2E Faiths & Avatars and its two sister books will probably note several ommisions :(.

I actually had a go at converting some of these paladins to BG2 kits, though they're only in idea-form right now. Here's the Knight of the Golden Cup:

(BTW if you're wondering what "Divine Grace" and "Divine Health" are, they're the 3rd Edition names for the paladin's saving throw bonus and immunity to disease respectively.)

KNIGHT OF THE GOLDEN CUP

Members of the Order of the Golden Cup serve Ilmater, and have dedicated themselves to healing the sick and the weak, and protecting the innocent. While they don't shy away from combating evil, they allow their companions to actively hunt it down while they focus on protecting those who can't protect themselves.

Abilities:

- May cast 'Detect Evil' at will.

- May use 'Lay on Hands' ability once per day at 2nd level.

- Gains 'Divine Health' at 3rd level.

- May use 'Shield Other' ability once per day at 4th level.

- Gains 'Improved Healing' at 5th level.

- May cast 'Cure Disease' once per day per 3 levels (starts at 6th level with one use).

- Gains 'Empowered Healing' at 10th level.

- Gains 'Maximized Healing' at 15th level.

- May cast priest spells at 9th level.

Restrictions:

- Can only be proficient in any weapon.

Sphere Access:

Minor access to the spheres of divination, guardian, healing, and protection.

Notes:

Shield Other: Grants a single ally a +1 bonus to AC and saving throws.

Improved Healing: Lay on hands and healing spells heal 1.25 times the normal number of hitpoints. For example, cure light wounds now heals 1d10 points rather than 1d8.

Empowered Healing: Lay on hands and healing spells heal 1.5 times the normal number of hitpoints. For example, cure light wounds now heals 2d6 points.

Maximized Healing: Lay on hands and healing spells always heal 1.5 times the maximum of the normal number of hitpoints. For example, cure light wounds now heals 15 points.

The standard paladin stuff this kit doesn't get:

- May not use 'Smite Evil ability.

- Does not gain 'Divine Grace'.

- May not use 'Turn Undead' ability.

No access to the sphere of combat.

I never got round to doing a Companion of the Noble Heart kit, so here's a Knight of the Mystic Fire kit instead:

KNIGHT OF THE MYSTIC FIRE

The Knights of the Mystic Fire serve Mystra by guarding her temples and questing for lost magical troves. They develop an increased ability to use magic, counter hostile magic, and defeat enemy spellcasters.

Abilities:

- May cast 'Detect Evil' at will.

- May use 'Lay on Hands' ability once per day.

- May use 'Smite Evil' ability once per day per 5 levels (starts at 1st level with one use).

- May cast 'Miscast Magic' once per day per 4 levels (starts at 4th level with one use).

- Gains 'Smite Magical Evil' at 5th level.

- May use 'Spellshatter' ability once per day per 3 levels (starts at 6th level with one use).

- Gains a bonus 1st level spell at 9th level, a bonus 2nd level spell at 11th level, a bonus 3rd level spell at 13th level, and a bonus 4th level spell at 15th level.

- May cast 'Cure Disease' once per day per 3 levels (starts at 9th level with one use).

Sphere Access:

Minor access to the spheres of combat, guardian, healing, and protection.

No access to the spheres of <insert all the other spheres here.>

Notes:

Smite Magical Evil: Enhances smite evil so that, in addition to the standard effects, it also causes arcane spellcasters to have a 50% chance to miscast spells for 1 round.

Spellshatter: Causes the next melee attack to deliver a targeted greater remove magic effect (see below).

Greater Remove Magic: An improved version of remove Magic; while the normal spell is 3rd level, and has a base 50% of succeeding (+5% for every level the caster is above the target, and -10% for every level the caster is below the target), greater remove magic is 6th level and has a base 70% of succeeding (+10% for every level the caster is above the target, and -5% for every level the caster is below the target).

The standard paladin stuff this kit doesn't get:

- Does not gain 'Divine Grace'.

- Does not gain 'Divine Health'.

- May not use 'Turn Undead' ability.

- 'Cure Disease' starts at 9th rather than 6th level.

No access to the sphere of divination.

Would someone be interested of making such a kit? I'm not a modder but I could be involved with desigining it.

If Undead Hunter-kit would be replaced with Paladin of Kelemvor, there could be six more kits, correct? Perhaps plain paladin could be removed too, at least as option for kitpack.

Probably adding Paladin of Torm, Paladin of Helm and Paladin of Lathander would be wise, since clergies of those gods are mostly regarded in BG2.

Maybe other original paladin kits could be converted for certain gods, like Inquisitor -> Torm, that would leave more room for additional paladin kits.

Guest Tempest

Other gods with paladins include Tyr, Milil, Red Knight, and Sune. Oghma is indeed TN, and has no militant groups associated with his church of any kind. I could see lone paladins associating themselves with any LG/NG/LN deity (Sune is the one big exception), but I don't think there are any other gods that actively sponsor orders of paladins.

Tempest: Siamorphe also has a knightly order, the Order of the Silver Chalice, although it doesn't exclusively consist of paladins. There's also the Field Guardians and the Swords of the High One, dedicated to Chauntea and Azuth respectively, although I believe both are 3rd Edition creations.

3E also retcons various non-human groups which formerly consisted of crusaders, clerics, and/or fighter/clerics (such as the Legion of Lions, Arvoreen's Marchers, Berronar's Valkyries, the Hammers of Moradin, the Shadowy Cloak, and the Wayward Wardens) to be orders of paladins.

Oh, and in 3E Selune has become a second exception to the LG/NG/LN rule, since there's a group of dwarf and human paladins called the Order of the Crescent Moon who jointly serve her and Clangeddin.

Oghma doesn't have paladins, as he's true neutral

wasnt there an Oghma paladin kit in IWDII?

I could have sworn there was, and there is a temple of Oghma in BGII, thats why i said Oghma. but i dont know much about that deity, so its not very appealing to me, like i said earlier

Archived