Suggestions on NPCs

meat axe

Alright, I'm about to start playing BG1 again, but I want to plan ahead for BG2, and which NPCs I will use. There are a lot of unofficial NPCs that seem really interesting, so I'm thinking that I will be using a party that comprises mostly of third party NPCs. I'm really interested in playing with Kivan and Solaufein, and that works out nicely, since they have a large number of banters (thanks to the crossmod banter pack). Yasraena is also of interest to me, and she also has some banters with Kivan, so that fits in well also.

The problem is that I can't decide on who should fill the last two slots. I've considered Deheriana, since she is part of the Kivan mod, but she doesn't seem to have any interjections with Solaufein or Yasraena. Is it worth it taking Deheriana just for any banters with Kivan and myself, or would it be better to take someone else?

I would like a romance option in the party, preferably female (which is why Solaufein and Kivan aren't it). I like the look of Amber, and Fade, and quite a few others (Nalia or Imoen romance seem pretty interesting), but as far as I can tell, the ToB content hasn't been finished yet, so those are sort of out of the question. If I am wrong here, please let me know, and I'll be very happy.

So what are your suggestions?

IIRC, the only female NPCs who are finished through ToB are Saerileth and Tasha. Fade's ToB content is in testing, so if you really want it you might be able to play it.

As for Deheriana, she is usually forgoitten in the crossmod materials, though we tried to correct it lately with Ilyos and Auren. She is viable as a ToB NPC, I think, though she won't be a big cross-mod talker.

Your other option is to play one of SoA-only romances and then use a ToB only NPC as a switch. The options I can think of are Sarevok, Irenicus, Ilyos and Deheriana.

Yeah, I just realised that when I talked about the Nalia romance being interesting, but still under development, I realised I was thinking of the one at the Pocket Plane Group, and not the Arnel one, that has been around for awhile, and is also now available in WeiDU format. So I'm considering playing out that mod, and taking Minsc along (Minsc is always good). But I'm still open to suggestions for other NPCs. And if Fade is in testing, I'll consider waiting awhile longer for her.

EDIT: I also just read that the release date for the ToB portion of the Imoen romance has been set for the 17th of December, so maybe I should just wait a month and get that.

IIRC, the only female NPCs who are finished through ToB are Saerileth and Tasha. Fade's ToB content is in testing, so if you really want it you might be able to play it.
Auren Aseph is a great mod, and AFAIK now also contains ToB stuff. Then there's an elevn f/m woman found at the CoM homepage, but I don't remember her name. She also has content for ToB. Her name starts with "N"...
Auren Aseph is a great mod, and AFAIK now also contains ToB stuff. Then there's an elevn f/m woman found at the CoM homepage, but I don't remember her name. She also has content for ToB. Her name starts with "N"...

Do you mean Ninafer? I was looking at her, but I couldn't tell if she was romanceable or not. Do you know if she is?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question that might be of interest to the topic starter as well.

How good is the Imoen Romance? Is it on the same level as the Bioware romances, or my personal favorite so far, the BG1NPC Dynaheir romance?

Obviously personal preferences are the major factor, but could anyone comment on more objective measures like general quality of writing, depth of character, and bugginess?

So far, I've only listened to the mod's music, which is simply superb. If the rest of the mod measures up to the music it would be quite an experience.

I personally enjoyed the Imoen romance. Imoen has always been a choice character of mine since BG1 when she was nothing more than a packhorse with a funny soundset. The writing is pretty good, it expands on her barebone personality that Bioware gave her decently enough. I would say as NPC mods go, she's pretty deep as a character. Bugginess: I had a stutter issue with her ONCE but that was because of another mod IIRC. I haven't actually played the mod in a while.

But, yes, this is my own opinion.

Yeah, I've played through a bit of the Imoen romance, and I quite liked what I saw. The writing is quite good, and the music (as you mentioned) is great also. Unfortunately, I ran into a bug somewhere, and I never finished it. But this was a long time ago. Something like 3 or 4 years, so my experience isn't anything to go on.

Anyway, has anyone played Arnel's Nalia romance? I think I've tried to once or twice, but never gotten far enough in those games to actually experience it. So if anyone was to comment on the quality of that mod, that would be great. I've always wanted an excuse to keep Nalia in the party, but never really found one. With a romance, it'd be good enough.

The only problem with the Nalia romance is the restrictions it has. The fighter pool restriction isn't a problem, since I've been dying to try out the acid elementalist kit for ages. However, the restriction of gender and race (which is understandable) creates an issue with me, since I often play female characters (but also want to romance female characters). I've just started a new BG1tutu game with a half-orc female acid ele, which means Nalia's romance is sort of out of the question at this time

But if I could get some information about the mod, then I'd be willing to play around with Shadowkeeper to make sure I met the requirements of the romance once I get to BG2.

Archived