First impressions :-)

Sprotte

Guest Guest_Gekko_*

Hello there,

I have been testing the newest revision today from the SVN on my Asus EeePC. I am using BG2 with GemRB and when I saw that the initial menu loaded in all its 800x480 (Yes, that isn't a typo) glory, I was impressed.

BUT.

As soon as I get into the game, the cutscene finishes, I realise:

* There are no buttons at the bottom, they have been cropped.

* Due to this, I cannot click continue to carry on the conversation

* I couldn't move, therefore I do not know if the distortion (overlapping tiles) occur only in dialogue or not.

My theory is that it has something to do with the engine assuming something based on the width setting without taking the height into account.

Another bug with character creation:

* If you import a character, it doesn't bring any of the stats into the screen, causing it to lock up if you choose Appearance.

That's all for now, hope the above have workarounds and then eventually fixes!

Hmm, are you sure 800x480 is correct?

The original game resources surely didn't support 800x480, so wouldn't gemrb either, without some help.

Non standard resolutions surely can cause some weird GUI clipping or overlapping.

And you are right, gemrb uses the width to select which .chu resources to use.

There are only a select few resolutions to choose from (the same as for the original game).

Yes, you can create a new .chu with the associated .mos and .bam files.

Since this is just a 'slight' adjustment, if you start from a 640x400 image (i think you can get away with simply enlarging the left and right panes), i think you can actually do it.

Once it is done, and the new game resources are uploaded on SF, i'm willing to adjust the scripts in GemRB to handle the new game resources.

I think it is ok to show only the left and right edges on 640x480, but you can always comment out the part (in start.py) which loads a frame when the width is 800.

The screen will be centered anyway.

If you check guiworld.py, you will see a function called 'GetWindowPack'. It is responsible for selecting the appropriate gui resources ingame.

If you remove (comment out) the line which handles width 800, then you will get the default 640x400.

We use relative positions.

But the resource to be used is determined by screen width.

If the screen height is smaller than expected, some bitmaps will inevitably overlap.

If the screen height is larger than expected, some black areas (or residue graphic) will inevitably be seen.

The bitmaps themselves are static, we can (and we do) juggle only with the layout.

So, how do I create this .chu?

Huh, better you just try to edit the guiscript.

But...

You need DLTCEP to edit .chu files.

Load the .chu which is the closest to what you need.

Since you need 800x480, you might want to get the 800x600 .chu, and cut out some part from the vertical panes.

Export the .mos files into .bmp and edit the .bmp in your favourite graphic editor.

Import the .bmp back, make sure that the sizes are pixel perfect.

Actually, it is better if you work on a copy of the files...

I dont see how I could do it with GUIScript.

I wrote this earlier:

comment out the part (in start.py) which loads a frame when the width is 800.

The screen will be centered anyway.

If you check guiworld.py, you will see a function called 'GetWindowPack'. It is responsible for selecting the appropriate gui resources ingame.

If you remove (comment out) the line which handles width 800, then you will get the default 640x400.

[edit]

Doh, whenever i said 640x400 make it 640x480 ;)

And you don't have to modify start.py, you will get a pretty frame on left and right. That is better than black.

So, just modify guiworld.py as i wrote.

Archived