Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

I could set up some sort of scripting solution to allow the kit to work, but every kit that I've run into that requires scripting for the level progression has always seemed to have more than its fair share of problems due to the sometimes flaky scripting engine in BG2. Thus, my decision to stay as far away from a scripting based solution as possible in the implementation of the kit. Also, implementing it under the kit mechanisms makes it much more resistant to editing in Shadowkeeper or similar programs. The plan is to eventually have a dialogue/quest in BG1:Tutu, BGT, BG2:ToB to allow a player to select the kit.

Now that I'm back, I'll see what I can do to track down the minor sequencer issues. This one baffles me because I don't go anywhere near that spell with any of my changes.

Another weird thing that happens, is occasionally the heal spells will not show up when trying to select one to cast. Oftentimes this can be gotten around, but going out of the spell selection submenu and re-entering it, but sometimes they aren't there at all. This typically happens after resting with the "cast healing spells on rest" option selected. It seems that the sorcerer kit has some issues with the healing spells on rest mechanism. I'm not sure what I can do about this.

Edited by Caedwyr

Ok, I've looked at the minor sequencer thing, and in my game it puts every spell that was added and originally a druid/priest spell in stacks of 2 when I cast a minor sequencer. So, for example if I can cast cure light wounds 7 times per rest, then in the minor sequencer selection there will be 3 stacks of 2 cure light wounds and 1 stack of cure light wounds. Choosing any of the stacks works as expected, its just the appearance looks a bit off. I've opened up and examined the editted spells and compared them to a vanilla spell (magic missiles, ghoul touch, blind) and I can't see any difference in the spell structure. I find this particularily odd, since cleric mages run into the same setup. I still need to test a minor sequencer with Aerie to see if it is an issue, but I can't see anything so far.

Ok, I've looked at the minor sequencer thing, and in my game it puts every spell that was added and originally a druid/priest spell in stacks of 2 when I cast a minor sequencer. So, for example if I can cast cure light wounds 7 times per rest, then in the minor sequencer selection there will be 3 stacks of 2 cure light wounds and 1 stack of cure light wounds. Choosing any of the stacks works as expected, its just the appearance looks a bit off. I've opened up and examined the editted spells and compared them to a vanilla spell (magic missiles, ghoul touch, blind) and I can't see any difference in the spell structure. I find this particularily odd, since cleric mages run into the same setup. I still need to test a minor sequencer with Aerie to see if it is an issue, but I can't see anything so far.

Couple of questions for Caedwyr:

1. Is there a planned update of this mod anytime soon? I'd like to start a new game with this kit but would wait if an update is expected within a few weeks.

2. Are there any known major bugs with the kit? The ones mentioned in this thread don't seem too major.

3. You mentioned you are working on another kit. What is it? Is it as interesting as the Geomantic Sorcerer? Maybe I'll just wait for that.

Thanks, and kudos on making a very cool set of HLAs.

Heh, to be honest pretty much all the HLAs are stolen from other mods.

I'll upload an update of the mod this weekend, the existing issues are fairly minor, and the quirk with minor sequencers and similar spells will need an IE engine guru to figure out.

The other kit I'm working on is called an Exalted Arcanist, based on the 3.5 edition prestige class. Its on a bit of hold at the moment as I'm currently waiting on some spell graphics/data from another modder before I finish it up.

Caedwyr

As an interim solution to allow folks (yeah, I mean me really!) to play this with Tutu, would it be possible to include an item which could be CLUA'd into the game and which activates the kit? Then we can just fire up the kit in Candlekeep or whatever.

Cheers

coaster

You're not the only one coaster. I'd like to play through the saga as a Geomancer as well.

For anyone wanting to get a head start, you can grab version 2 from the following links

Geomantic Sorcerer v2 (Windows) - http://rapidshare.com/files/73708784/Geoma...rer-v2.exe.html

Geomantic Sorcerer v2 (OSX) - http://rapidshare.com/files/73709053/OSX-G...rer-v2.rar.html

A more formal release will most likely occur soonish.

V2 Fixes a few typos, removes the eagle shapeshift since it doesn't do anything the others don't and has some ugly animations, and introduces an item you can CLUAConsole in to apply the Geomantic Sorcerer kit.

Edited by Caedwyr

Incidentally, all, there's no reason why you can't use the GS kit in BGT or Tutu. I simply started a BG2 game, got the GS kit from Aataquah, and exported the character. This works because when you start BG2, you have 0xp with a sorcerer, and have to level up to choose your spells anyway. I just never levelled up, so I could export a level 0 character.

I'm about 1/4 of the way done with BG, and the kit looks good so far! Thanks, Caedwyr.

:)

DtD

Ooh good stuff! :)

A few things:

1/ there is a typo in the readme - it says CA#AEGO.itm instead of CA#AGEO.itm

2/ what happens when I import my Geo Sorc into BG2 - will Aataquah attempt to convert me, or will he already see I am a GS?

3/ I presume I can access both stoneskins and ironskins - so do they stack?

I have to say from the outset that Union of Magic looks hugely overpowered...but as I am going to play through either with SCS2 or Improved Anvil (haven't decided yet) I might be eating those words :D

1) Mod package updated in the previous post to fix the typo

2) I'm not sure, if he offers again it should be fairly painless I believe. I should check that out

3) You can have both, they have the same effect so I don't think they stack, Stoneskin is almost instant cast, Ironskins is a longer cast spell

4) Let me know how the HLAs work out (which ones are useful, not useful, overpowered). I'm interested in some actual in-game playtesting. Union of Magic also removes all friendly protections, so I'm not so sure if it isn't more harmful than helpful in many cases.

OK, have been playing through Bgtutu with SCS+Grey Clan Ep 1 installed, solo & on insane, and am a shade below the BG1 level cap with my Geo Sorc.

So far so good. Sleep+wave spray was a useful combo for mobs during the first couple of levels. As with a normal sorc, the breakthrough comes with getting fireball, and being able to take out the groups much more easily. With resist fire I can also cast fireball on myself when surrounded by enemies [incidentally, I thought fireball was a "magic fire", but prot from fire seems to protect against it completely..even though it says it only gives 80% prot against magic fire. Odd.]

Balance - it's a bit overpowered overall, but this is more due to the "sorcerer" elements - eg. being able to acquire stoneskin in BG1 (yeah, I couldn't resist picking it!) - rather than any changes the Geo Sorc kit makes. In terms of the kit's disadvantages, the 15% XP penalty is pretty meaningless in a solo game, as you might expect. The stat penalties are a minor pain for a spellcaster. The biggest problem is the increase in the spellcasting duration, which can make the difference between getting a spell fired out at your enemies and being cut to bits. Certainly it has made me a bit more circumspect in casting summon insects, which is a great spell but carries a long casting time.

Onward to battle and victory etc. Will post another report once I am done with Tutu.

coaster