Request for content feedback

DavidW

Regarding Mirror Image,

There's a chance (inversely proportional to [the number of mirrored images +1]) the AoE spell (like attacks) will bypass all the mirrored images and hit the intended target, so it's not completely stupid casting AoE spells at someone running Mirror Image.

Ok.Well i can't wait anymore(even though it's just been half a day)SCS II is great right now so i'm gonna install it and get going.It's a shame about the mirror image bug though.

Hang on, I'm confused... do you mean that you think wizards should target you if you're mirror-imaged?

I do.When you think about it,even without cheese tactics player characters are still superior to npc's and by removing the ability of npc wizards to target mirror imaged,improved invisibility,spell immunity:divination characters with area effect spells you've(assuming you can make such spells affect mirror image) actually removed a powerful offensive ability of npc wizards.All they are left with is bringing down your defences,and considering you can drop a cloudkill right next to them,it's a bit unfair.

(assuming you can make such spells affect mirror image)

I can't. I would if I could.

You make an interesting point about the II/SI:Div/MI combo, though. I'll reconsider. (The "don't target MI" thing is about not wasting spells, it's not that I actually want to be nice!)

Tell me David,do the robe of vecna and vhailors helm options work even if you install the bonus merchants from bg2 tweaks after SCS II?Also,is it possible to release the fix for thieves as a standalone file(similar to your named vampires fix?)

Tell me David,do the robe of vecna and vhailors helm options work even if you install the bonus merchants from bg2 tweaks after SCS II?

No. Good point, I'll mention it in the readme.

EDIT: I'm wrong. It works either way around.

Also,is it possible to release the fix for thieves as a standalone file(similar to your named vampires fix?)

I'm not sure... if v6 is much more delayed, I'll look into it, but I'm hoping for a quick release.

I'm not sure... if v6 is much more delayed, I'll look into it, but I'm hoping for a quick release.

Fix now and full-fledged release with new content later will be better :)

And again, i suggest to gather all fixes together in one pinned thread

Tell me David,do the robe of vecna and vhailors helm options work even if you install the bonus merchants from bg2 tweaks after SCS II?

Is that actually how it works? I thought the merchants' shops were pre-existing data (i.e., if you don't have the merchants installed, you could just CLUAConsole them in and they work identically), and the mod just removes Vhailor's Hem and Robe of Vecna (and Shield of Balduran) from the shop data to elsewhere.

That, and the merchant who sells all the affected items gets added with the last official ToB patch anyway.

Is that actually how it works? I thought the merchants' shops were pre-existing data (i.e., if you don't have the merchants installed, you could just CLUAConsole them in and they work identically), and the mod just removes Vhailor's Hem and Robe of Vecna (and Shield of Balduran) from the shop data to elsewhere.

That, and the merchant who sells all the affected items gets added with the last official ToB patch anyway.

Really?I didn't realize deidre was added with patch 26498.Still,the tweakpack option gives you joluv in the copper coronet as well.In any case alot of people use the tweakpack merchants so it's probally best to mention the potential conflict in the readme.

Guest AlanC9
That's intentional (not that that necessarily helps...) - as the description says, "you have been waylaid", so the bad guys are assumed to have got the drop on you (whereas in situations where you ambush them, it's the other way around).

In my own game, I've learned that the priority in this situation is to get some defences of your own up, fast - resist the temptation to do some fast offensive casting before your own mages are vaguely protected.

Which would be great if I actually had any such spells available. At this stage of the game I can't afford scrolls (or potions of Clarity, for that matter). I can get one Chaotic Commands off before the Chaos spell hits, but that typically leaves me with my mage and probably one other character up against a bunch of enemies who have tons of potions, and so will be hasted, magic blocked, and so forth. It's winnable if my own mage's Chaos spell hits a lot of enemies, but the slaver clerics have good saves.

My point isn't so much that the fights are difficult, but that they're the wrong fights to make difficult. The random fights were far, far tougher than anything I hit before the Shade Lord; it just doesn't make any narrative sense. Nalia's keep itself was more annoying than actually difficult (hate those Spectral Trolls).

That's intentional (not that that necessarily helps...) - as the description says, "you have been waylaid", so the bad guys are assumed to have got the drop on you (whereas in situations where you ambush them, it's the other way around).

In my own game, I've learned that the priority in this situation is to get some defences of your own up, fast - resist the temptation to do some fast offensive casting before your own mages are vaguely protected.

Which would be great if I actually had any such spells available. At this stage of the game I can't afford scrolls (or potions of Clarity, for that matter). I can get one Chaotic Commands off before the Chaos spell hits, but that typically leaves me with my mage and probably one other character up against a bunch of enemies who have tons of potions, and so will be hasted, magic blocked, and so forth. It's winnable if my own mage's Chaos spell hits a lot of enemies, but the slaver clerics have good saves.

My point isn't so much that the fights are difficult, but that they're the wrong fights to make difficult. The random fights were far, far tougher than anything I hit before the Shade Lord; it just doesn't make any narrative sense. Nalia's keep itself was more annoying than actually difficult (hate those Spectral Trolls).

Version 6 will have a console option that lets you turn off and on mage prebuffing: you can turn it off before travelling and on again afterwards if you want. I'm still not persuaded that I should be making this particular change (so far, it seems to be an isolated comment) but until I see the light this should allow you to simulate it locally.

Regarding confusion, I make sure I spread out my characters and don't clump up too much. Also, using various spell interupters to keep enemy mages from getting off some of the nastier spells are priorities. Magical missiles tend to be useful in this way. Once you learn how the random encounter mages and clerics fight it, you learn to adapt to their strategies. After a bit of experience you'll definitely find the Keep fights harder. Then again, one of the harder earlier fights is the planar prison from Haer'Dalis' quest.

Another option of course, would be to reduce the level of the spell casters in random encounters in earlier chapters and increase the levels in later chapters.

Archived